Sign in with
Your question

recommendations....

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 4, 2002 4:46:38 PM

hi all
im after some advice for putting together a pc setup for a mate, how needs it for video editing, music editing..
now im not wanting a amd setup for this as they are slower at this type of thing, so an intel four setup would be needed..
he needs burst capable PCI slots, (which i thought they where anyway???? is this right?)..
i was thinking something along the lines of this sort of spec... he needs a monitor as well, he has about £900 to £950 to spend on a up to date pc..

Abit BD7-R Pentium® 4 Intel® 845 DDR + RAID ATX (skt 478)
CD Rewriter Lite-on 40x12x48 IDE SMART-Burn Retail
Intel® Pentium® 4 1.8GHz Northwood 512K cache Retail inc. Fan (3yr warr.) or
Intel® Pentium® 4 2.0GHz Northwood 512k cache oem would this be better?
80 GB IBM 120GXP 2Mb cache ATA100 or
40 GB Maxtor 5400rpm ATA100 two of these in a raid setup?
256MB DDR PC2100 RAM (major brand) one or two of?
SoundBlaster Live Player 5.1 OEM
Sparkle GeForce 3 Ti 200 64MB DDR + TV-out AGP - these are cheap and superb for the cash.. good performers too..
19" AOC 9Klr Pure Flat 0.25mm 3yrs Onsite - he wanted a flat screen..

he would like to have a printer, scanner as well..
would that sort of setup be ok for his needs or would something more be needed?
as to what im limited to for buying, i buy things from here:

www.microdirect.co.uk

i live in england so please dont worry about the prices that much..
i think i have said that he has about £950 to spend all in, and i believe he could either leave it standard (not a good idea for the reviews ive seen) or he could overclock it..
what would any one sugguest? anything majory different or just a few bits to change? please help!!

if all else fails... kick it and if it goes wrong, say it wasnt you...

More about : recommendations

August 4, 2002 5:01:55 PM

Mobo good but not personal choice
Cd writer i use a cheap LG all work well
P4 if you are going to overclock any P4 will do the job if not go with the retail.Personnaly there not much difference between the 1.8 and the 2.0 so yes buy a 2.0 retail
For raid septup use 2 identical hard drive it a must.
Sound card up to you
Geforce ti200 it old and slow go for a radeon 8500 or Ti 4200

The day i meet a goth queen that tell me Intel suck.I turn in a lemming to fill is need in hardware.
August 4, 2002 6:34:19 PM

Athlon XP 2200+ may have tough time to perform better than 533 MHz FSB 2.53 GHz and 2.4 GHz P4's, but Athlon XP 1800+ and 2000+ are faster than P4 Northwood 1.8A and 2.0A Ghz in audio and video editing. They are cheaper, too.

Keep it in mind that you will only be able to unleash full performance of P4 with RDRAM setup, not with PC2100 DDR.

I don't see any reason to buy P4 1.8A GHz or 2.0 GHz unless you overclock.

Anyway, if you buy intel, go for 1.8A Ghz. It isn't much slower than 2.0A Ghz. And of course, it saves some money. Get a decent i850 based RDRAM platform with RAID.

Get 512 MB RAM for Audio/Video editing.

Don't buy 5400 rpm drives for audio/video editing. Put two Maxtor 7200 rpm, ATA-133, 40 GB drives in RAID. They are not very expensive and solid performer. I have one drive of this model.

If you can afford buy GeForce4 Ti4200 w/128 MB DDR instead of GeForce3 Ti200. Visiontek, Leadtek, Gainward, ASUS, MSI all are good.

LiteOn's 48x/12x/48x will be a better choice. LiteOn's 40x models don't have Mt. Rainier format. (officialy it has, but it doesn't work)

ViewSonic Monitors are great. You should get a ViewSonic P90f, P95f or P95+. All are 19". Go to ViewSonic's website and check which one meets your need.

My recommended AMD setup:

Athlon XP 1800+ or 2000+
ASUS A7V333 (with raid) or MSI KT3 Ultra-ARU
512 MB PC2100 DDR RAM (Micron, Crucial, Corsair or Samsung)
Two Maxtor Diamond Max Plus D740X 40 GB (7200 rpm, ATA133)
LiteOn 48x/12x/48x CD-RW
ViewSonic P90f or P95f or P95f+

My recommended Intel Setup:

Penium 4 1.8A GHz or 2.0A GHz
ASUS or any good i850 chipset mainboard w/ RAID
512 MB PC800 RDRAM (Samsung)
Two Maxtor Diamond Max Plus D740X 40 GB (7200 rpm, ATA133)
LiteOn 48x/12x/48x CD-RW
ViewSonic P90f or P95f or P95f+

Other components chosen by you seems good to me.
Related resources
August 4, 2002 7:38:24 PM

well, he said that the intel 4 setups for video editing are faster, but does that mean just for the higher end systems ie 2.4 and 2.53ghz models?
i would say to him buy an xp1800 and dont worry about the intel 4, but what would be the best thing to do?
i persoannly think with the money that he could save buying a xp1800 or xp1900 he would be able to spend more money on certain other things.. like graphics card more memory etc.
what would you go for?
i think my heart is with amd, but the speed is with intel should you overclock it, which im not sure on how to go about doing!
any more recommendations would be more than welcome, but thank you ever so much of what you have said so far...

August 4, 2002 9:51:05 PM

i would go for a wd special edition on the hd.

<font color=blue> Arrogance creates ignorance.</font color=blue>
August 4, 2002 10:25:37 PM

Hey man! I'll see what I can do for ~950 :wink: . Prices from Micro Direct: (BTW, this'll take into consideration he overclocks.

1. P4 1.8A Northwood 512K Retail - 135
2. ABIT BD7II-RAID - 106
3. 512MB DDR333 (major brand) - 105
4. Some kind of case and PSU - 80
5. Lite-on 40x12x48 IDE SMART-Burn Retail 48
6. 80GB Maxtor 7200RPM - 81
7. SoundBlaster Audigy Player OEM - 55
8. Gainward GeForce 4 Powerpack Ultra/650 XP Golden Sample AGP - 159
9. 19" AOC 9Klr Pure Flat 0.25mm 3yrs Onsite - 175

For: 944 pounds. All prices including VAT.

Now, with that, overclocking to 2.4GHz shouldn't be a problem. Then using the 3:4 FSB:D RAM ratio, he'll get DDR354, which should be attainable for the DDR333. The IBM HDD don't seem to be as reliable as the Maxtor/WD/Seagate ones. Also, the RAID on the mobo is there so that he can uses ATA133 and also, so that he has an upgrade path for the future.

Also, the Gainward should perform a lot better than the Ti200, and using the Golden Sample setting, it's really quite good. Since he'll be doing music editing, I'm guessing he'll be listening to a lot of it, therefore the Audigy OEM is a good choice.

:lol:  Finally, I get a capitalized title!! WOOT!! :lol: 
August 4, 2002 10:28:30 PM

Damn, I forgot about a printer/scanner... Ummm I know nothing about them and to push the cost down of the system, you can get that SB Live! 5.1 and the Ti200 instead.... But tell him he really wouldn't regret the Audigy and Ti4200 in the long run and see if he'll put in an extra ~100 pounds for a scanner/printer.

August 4, 2002 10:35:21 PM

Hi,

Since he is gonna video edit alot the his MAJOR needs would be:

Memory - he simply can't get enough,
RAID array - I'd go for the WD spec. edition with 8 MB cache, even though they 'only' are IDE 100 - in a RAID 0 arry they perform alot better than Maxtors IDE 133/2 MB Cache

The difference in CPU type (XP vs. P4) and speed, is not worth a second cosideration, if he instead gets himself around 1 GB mem, and a lightning fast RAID array - imho =)

Ride hard...

Real men don't do backup...
...real men cry ALOT!

Linux RoxX
August 4, 2002 10:45:46 PM

Unfortunately he can't get WD 8MB drives :frown: . Oh, BTW, you could always get 2x80GB Maxtors and still be happy. Ok, here's another thing you could do:

SB Live 5.1 OEM - save 27
Asus GeForce 4 8420TD 64MB DDR + TVout+ DVI out Retail - save 20

Put in a nother couple bucks and get another Maxtor 80GB HDD, then put them in a RAID config. And Voila!!

August 5, 2002 9:22:19 AM

so what are you saying? to tell him to go for the xp setup or go for the intel setup?
well, im spec him for at least 512mbs then.. but would it be best to get 2 256s simms, or would it be best to get a single 512mb simm?
i have had some problems with memory simms and as a result, a 512mb simm didnt work in my kr7 but 2 256mb simms worked fine.. probably down to the fact that i have a fussy motherboard or something but im not so sure..

August 5, 2002 9:37:20 AM

so a xp setup wouldnt be worth the hassle then or what? i know intel 4s are better than xp at doing video etc but is it worth the extra out lay for him?
btw, i havent ever put together an intel 4 setup.. is it much different compared to a xp setup?
is it worth to go raid then? would two 60 gig drives be ok? i would imagine that he would need 7200rpm drives at a minimum yes?
does it matter A LOT about the type of graphics card that my friend uses? i dont think he will be playing games or anything on it, so im assuming that video editing is a very intense process? i have no idea im afarid so i would like a little understanding of whats involved.. could anyone do that for me?
oh, what you getting out of your ati 8500 card now? still nearly pushing 10000 in 3d mark 2001? lol.. my old geforce 2 ultra is smoking! its doing really well.. managed 11500 (nearly, about 90 odd marks off of it!!) in 3d mark 2000 and as its not got directx 8 its getting about 5250... which again, i didnt think was bad... on my other systems now, with the geforce 3 ti200s im getting scores of 11000 but a little lower than that score of the ultra card.. but they are whipping its ass in 3d mark 2001... getting near to 6500 or i think i might have had one score of near 7000... i didnt think it was that bad either!!
just waiting on my ati 9700 card now for my xp and kr7... will upgrade when new prescott and hammer comes out.. see which one is best and go from there,... anyone got any ideas about how good each of them will be ?
well, thanks to all for the advice!!

August 5, 2002 10:52:31 AM

PIV systems are exactly the same concept to put together as AMD ones (think theres an extra socket for the MB)... Its all really easy, and if in doubt RTFM !!

You tried these UK sources too: ?

<A HREF="http://www.scan.co.uk" target="_new">http://www.scan.co.uk&lt;/A>
<A HREF="http://www.overclockers.co.uk" target="_new">http://www.overclockers.co.uk&lt;/A> - Costly shipping so take it into account
<A HREF="http://www.theoverclockingstore.co.uk" target="_new">http://www.theoverclockingstore.co.uk&lt;/A> - Free shipping

Tim

I can call you Betty, and Betty when you call me... You can call me Al
August 5, 2002 12:22:27 PM

Meh.... He'll get by easily with a Ti200 or a R8500, it's just that the Ti4200 will last him longer. If he overclocks the P4 1.8A, then it'll be faster than a comparatively prices AXP CPU. If he doesn't intend to overclock, get an AXP.

RAID will probably be important since he'll be doing a lot of work onhis HDDs. 60GB will probably be enough, although you may wanna ask how much he's gonna do. Is he an ameteur?

Well, I'm not so sure on the perf of Hammer or Prescott, although early test samples of Hammer seem to have done pretty well. As long as they can scale them high enough to compete with whatever Intel's got at the beginning of next year. (~P4 3.2GHz w/ HyperThreading)

<i>Pass mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>
August 5, 2002 1:42:38 PM

I'd pick:
1.) P4 1,8 Ghz NW (remember cooler included)
2.) MSI MS-845 ULTRA-ARu RAID ATX (845i chipset/IDE133 RAID/On-board sound 6 channel AC3/6 PCI slots/USB 2.0)
3.) 2 x MAXTOR 60 GB 7,2 krpm Fluid IDE 133 Drives
4.) 2 x 512 MB DDR-2100 (major brand)
5.) Chieftec DA-01BD ATX case (340 Watt P4 PSU, and LOTS op space)
6.) And a decent monitor for the remaning 200 £

Here in Denmark this total system would cost ya around 1000£ (so, if you wanna save little you might wanna wait with a new monitor - if that is possibly)

Thats mho =)

Ride hard...

...real men cry ALOT!

Linux RoxX
August 5, 2002 1:46:55 PM

DOOO!

I also thougth that I've missed something =)

Wait with the 1 512 MB module (150£) and throw in a gf4 4200 ti gfx - that will do the trick

.....it's gotta be the heat, right now it's about 30 degrees an no wind - WHATSOEVER :/ 

...real men cry ALOT!

Linux RoxX
August 5, 2002 6:42:35 PM

scan quite expensive to buy from..
the overclocking store i have had problems with..
havent heard of overclockers web site.. any good with prices?

i have a trade account with www.mircodirect.co.uk so i felt its best to get it from there.. i dunno..

!