New Widescreen Dell 2005FPW

Anybody have one of these new 20.1" widescreen UltraSharps yet? If so what
do you think of it? I have one on the way....

In the past I've tried the 2001FP but after about 3 tries at 3 different
units gave up...pixel issues. Dead or stuck on every one. I know that Dell
tries to explain that these are a "normal artifact" of the manufacturing
process, but why is it then that many flat panels have no pixel issues
whatsoever? This tells me that 'perfect' panels can be, and are,
manufactured. I've owned several of Dell's 17" and 19" LCD monitors with no
problems..why was the 2001FP so prone to this defect? I work in a quality
control field using optical inspection and analysis and am very sensitive to
this kind of imperfection...drives me crazy to see little colored dots on a
black background! And once I find them, my eyes are drawn to them every
time I look at the monitor.

Anyway, I digress. I decided to try the new 2005FPW since it appears that
the panel is manufactured by LG (the 2001FP was made by Phillips, I
believe). The change of vendor may be the ticket (or be worse!). We'll
see...

-Tmax60

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 12:20:07 GMT, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "Tmax60"
<tmax60@yahoo.com> wrote:

>In the past I've tried the 2001FP but after about 3 tries at 3 different
>units gave up...pixel issues. Dead or stuck on every one. I know that Dell
>tries to explain that these are a "normal artifact" of the manufacturing
>process, but why is it then that many flat panels have no pixel issues
>whatsoever? This tells me that 'perfect' panels can be, and are,
>manufactured. I've owned several of Dell's 17" and 19" LCD monitors with no
>problems..why was the 2001FP so prone to this defect? I work in a quality
>control field using optical inspection and analysis and am very sensitive to
>this kind of imperfection...drives me crazy to see little colored dots on a
>black background! And once I find them, my eyes are drawn to them every
>time I look at the monitor.

Odd. I bought a Dell 2001FP about two months ago, and no sign of any dead
pixels.

I'm quite happy with it.

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

As a follow-up to my original post:

I received my 2005FPW last night and have to say that it is a stunning piece
of hardware! No pixel defects (stuck OR dead) with just a bright, crisp
image that looks amazing in widescreen format. DVD video looks great in the
widescreen format as well as this monitor has a fast 16 ms response time.
If you are thinking about one, I'd have to say I recommend it. It appears
that the change of vendors has been a positive move for improving on the
levels of pixel defects I'd encountered in the past.

-Tmax60

:
[...]

One disappointing feature is the screen area, which is the same size as the
19" Ultrasharp. Only the height and width dimensions are changed.

Brian

> As a follow-up to my original post:
>
> I received my 2005FPW last night and have to say that it is a stunning
> piece
> of hardware! No pixel defects (stuck OR dead) with just a bright, crisp
> image that looks amazing in widescreen format. DVD video looks great in
> the
> widescreen format as well as this monitor has a fast 16 ms response time.
> If you are thinking about one, I'd have to say I recommend it. It appears
> that the change of vendors has been a positive move for improving on the
> levels of pixel defects I'd encountered in the past.
>
> -Tmax60
>
> "Tmax60" <tmax60@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> : Anybody have one of these new 20.1" widescreen UltraSharps yet? If so
> what
> : do you think of it? I have one on the way....
> :
> : In the past I've tried the 2001FP but after about 3 tries at 3 different
> : units gave up...pixel issues. Dead or stuck on every one. I know that
> Dell
> : tries to explain that these are a "normal artifact" of the manufacturing
> : process, but why is it then that many flat panels have no pixel issues
> : whatsoever? This tells me that 'perfect' panels can be, and are,
> : manufactured. I've owned several of Dell's 17" and 19" LCD monitors with
> no
> : problems..why was the 2001FP so prone to this defect? I work in a
> quality
> : control field using optical inspection and analysis and am very
> sensitive
> : this kind of imperfection...drives me crazy to see little colored dots
> on
> : black background! And once I find them, my eyes are drawn to them every
> : time I look at the monitor.
> :
> : Anyway, I digress. I decided to try the new 2005FPW since it appears
> that
> : the panel is manufactured by LG (the 2001FP was made by Phillips, I
> : believe). The change of vendor may be the ticket (or be worse!). We'll
> : see...
> :
> : -Tmax60
> :
> :

Agreed about the screen area...I upgraded from a 1905FP...the 2005FPW looks
sharper probably because of the higher native resolution....it does SEEM
bigger though...

-Tmax60

"Brian K" <iibntgyea4_ remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
: One disappointing feature is the screen area, which is the same size as
the
: 19" Ultrasharp. Only the height and width dimensions are changed.
:
: Brian
:
:
: "Tmax60" <tmax60@yahoo.com> wrote in message
: news:CnImd.4498$RS2.482@news01.roc.ny...
: > As a follow-up to my original post:
: >
[...]
: > :
[...]

Tmax, you're right. Stunning indeed!

I also have the Dell 2005FPW as of a few days ago and am more than
happy with it, I'm elated. Haven't tried a DVD on it yet, but working
on it has been a pleasure. I tossed the idea of the new Apple Cinema
Display around, but went for the Dell after reading the specs and
bottom line. Sight unseen, nonetheless. Unlike me, but I figured I'd
take the plunge.

It's my first foray into the LCD market, I've been using a 19" CRT for
years and have been reluctant to give it up. LCD's simply didn't cut
it for me in terms of speed and sharpness. I'd always oogled over the
Apple screens, but their prices...ouch.

This Dell has made me a believer that LCD's can be as good or better
than CRT's for designers. I even have a few games that run pefectly
well. And the extra real estate is always a welcome addition for all
uses.

If you're reading this and considering buying this screen - wonder no
more: do it. Not one dead pixel, brighter than you'll ever want or
need, fastest I've seen on the market (12ms gray-gray / 16ms
black-white), 4 USB 2.0 ports, analog & DVI to boot. Everything I've
been wishing for. Not to mention a sweet package. Read all about it
at the Dell site and buy one. Sounds like I work for Dell, but I
don't. I'm just extremely impressed with this screen!