tbirdXPplus

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
personally, i`ve never experienced a bad computer component. i built all my computers since my 386DX system. all CPUs (amd386DX, pen75, k6-2, p2-450, via c3, and a t-bird) were ok. one hard disk problem(back when i was using a 1200meg HDD for my pentium75 system, but the bad sectors came about 3 years after i bought the HDD. can`t say that is a bad part). no bad motherboards(except for that piece of $hit via691 mobo for my p2, this was the chipset`s problem). no bad sound cards, or LAN cards, ext.

i`ve seen some guys say that they would buy the boxed retailed CPU just for the 3 year warantee. is that neccessary? maybe for a HDD, but personally i think that a semiconductor would never fall apart.

"Is Celeron good?"
"No. Celeron is bad."
LOL

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
I've only had problems with motherboards which I exchanged them at the retailer. As for hard drives, I had a couple fail on me before within the warrenty period.

For cpus, I think the retail is worth it, if you don't overclock. Most intel cpus are sold retail and as for amd, the difference is little, usually the cost of an hsf.

<i><font color=blue>The only difference between 200 fps and 300 fps is the blink of the eyes.</font color=blue></i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've owned over a thousand systems. I've seen over a hundred bad drives, maybe a couple dozen bad boards, and maybe a dozen bad CPU's.

<font color=blue>By now you're probably wishing you had asked more questions first!</font color=blue>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
personally ive experience a fair amount of crap.

had two motherboards that were DOA. not a cracker from them. one intel, one via.

had a gigasuck TNT2pro graphics card, nothing but games crashes for a month till i reseated it. then it never worked again.

1 stick of 256Mb kingmax ram just died one day outta the blue. booted up one morning to 320mb.

my 60GXP got badsectors 3 times before it went away.

i swear my asus a7v133 was dodgey.. but no direct proof, and i WAS overclocking :smile:

my new 1 month old viewsonic 17" monitor went bad, degaus kinda went crackly and left a screen with bad colour bleed in 3 of the 4 corners.

*thinks*
think thats about it...
my athlon 1200C also died, but i take responsibility for that. 1500Mhz @ 2.05v was apparently a bit too much for it :lol:

<b>Before visiting THG i was a clueless noob. Now im still clueless, but look at my nice title!<b>