Full transfer system from one machine to another

Is there a possibility to clone/transfer full content of Dell Precision
530 WIN 2000 pro to Dell Precision 370 Win XP pro?

I would like to avoid to reinstall, reconfiger the application.

If yes, how can I perform the operation.
Thank you in advance for your response.

AC
7 answers Last reply
More about full transfer system machine another

    Not reliably.
    <krygaart@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a possibility to clone/transfer full content of Dell Precision
    > 530 WIN 2000 pro to Dell Precision 370 Win XP pro?
    >
    > I would like to avoid to reinstall, reconfiger the application.
    >
    > If yes, how can I perform the operation.
    > Thank you in advance for your response.
    >
    > AC

    Thank you.
    That sounds interesting.

    <krygaart@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a possibility to clone/transfer full content of Dell Precision
    > 530 WIN 2000 pro to Dell Precision 370 Win XP pro?
    >
    > I would like to avoid to reinstall, reconfiger the application.
    >
    > If yes, how can I perform the operation.
    > Thank you in advance for your response.

    There is software around that purports to do this. I got a copy of 'Transfer
    My PC' bundled with my Dell that I bought earlier this year. I didn't use it
    though, and frankly I'd be sceptical as to how well it would work. It might
    do the bulk of it but I'd bet you'd need to sort out some things afterward.

    I could be wrong though, so it might be worth checking out.

    Actually, I just looked for it and saw that it does not transfer
    applications, only data files, e-mail, etc.

    Anyway, there's an article about it, and some others, here:
    http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/desktops/0,39023850,39119103,00.htm

    John

    <krygaart@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a possibility to clone/transfer full content of Dell Precision
    > 530 WIN 2000 pro to Dell Precision 370 Win XP pro?
    >
    > I would like to avoid to reinstall, reconfiger the application.
    >
    > If yes, how can I perform the operation.
    > Thank you in advance for your response.
    >
    > AC

    I watched this thread with limited hope and some anticipation. Having
    performed this task several times, I reckon it is the single most costly
    part of installing a new PC.

    There are a number of transfer programmes. I have tried several. As far as I
    can see, these are all snake oil. Of these, at least Win XP's Files <Start
    Menu> ..... accessories ..... system tools ..... files and settings transfer
    wizard is free.

    If you want to do a clean install on the new machine and don't mind losing
    everything already on it, I would recommend proceeding as follows:-

    0) You need to put the new hard disk in the old machine to do this
    1) Format the new hard disk
    2) Copy onto it *everything* from the old hard disk
    3) Put it back into the new machine
    4) Install Win XP pro over the top of whatever is now on the hard disk.

    Good luck

    Geoff

    Thanks a lot.
    Just one question:

    Can I use an external HD to transfer the data (full copy of HD - via
    windows or DOS, how to perform that?) from the old HD to new one or is
    it essential to instal a new HD into the old machine?

    AC

    Thanks a lot.
    Just one question:

    Can I use an external HD to transfer the data (full copy of HD - via
    windows or DOS, how to perform that?) from the old HD to new one or is
    it essential to instal a new HD into the old machine?

    AC

    Thanks a lot.

    Just a few questions:

    Is it essential to install a new HD into the old machine?
    Can I use an external HD to transfer the data?
    How to copy all the contents of my old HD (dos, windows?)
    Would it be usefull to use, for instance Ghost program to reproduce a
    coplete disk image?

    Thank you in advance for your response.

    AC

Dell Windows XP Computers