Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

PalmSource plunged into 'leadership transition'

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
May 23, 2005 10:26:30 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Direct quote from vnunet.com:

========= begin quote ===========
It's never easy when senior management changes, particularly when it's
someone like PalmSource's David Nagel who has taken such a leading and
vital role in the company for most of its history.

PalmSource is in trouble at the moment. Microsoft has overtaken it in
the mobile operating system sphere, and Symbian is consolidating its
lead in the smartphone sector. PalmSource had better come up with a
good mobile platform release if it is to avoid being relegated to the
backwaters of portable computing.

So watch the new management closely and if you're thinking about
taking your workforce mobile it might pay you to hold off for a few
months, until we learn what PalmSource's next move will be.

The Palm group of companies has a reputation for snatching victory
from the jaws of defeat and it'll be interesting to see if the company
can do it again. But there is no doubt that it has its work cut out
this time.
============= end quote =========

Here's the story vnunet was commenting on:
http://mail.vnunet.com/cgi-bin1/flo/y/efut0BsixT0Lla0Cc...

--
Harold Fuchs
Only dead fish swim with the stream.
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 10:26:31 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Harold wrote:
> Direct quote from vnunet.com:
>
> ========= begin quote ===========
> It's never easy when senior management changes, particularly when it's
> someone like PalmSource's David Nagel who has taken such a leading and
> vital role in the company for most of its history.
>
> PalmSource is in trouble at the moment. Microsoft has overtaken it in
> the mobile operating system sphere, and Symbian is consolidating its
> lead in the smartphone sector. PalmSource had better come up with a
> good mobile platform release if it is to avoid being relegated to the
> backwaters of portable computing.
>
> So watch the new management closely and if you're thinking about
> taking your workforce mobile it might pay you to hold off for a few
> months, until we learn what PalmSource's next move will be.
>
> The Palm group of companies has a reputation for snatching victory
> from the jaws of defeat and it'll be interesting to see if the company
> can do it again. But there is no doubt that it has its work cut out
> this time.
> ============= end quote =========
>
> Here's the story vnunet was commenting on:
> http://mail.vnunet.com/cgi-bin1/flo/y/efut0BsixT0Lla0Cc...

Read: LifeDrive, a disaster on OS4. Where is Cobalt; the world
wonders...
There is blood in the boardroom. PalmOne is next. The Palm duo has
snatched Disaster from the jaws of Defeat. Their eyes were closed.

Q
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 4:10:35 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in news:TM-dnaGjB9GSrA_fRVn-
gw@comcast.com:

> Read: LifeDrive, a disaster on OS4. Where is Cobalt; the world
> wonders...

OS4? Huh? OS4 hasn't been produced in a long time.

I think Cobalt is dead, and never lived. The next OS will be mostly
Linux, I predict, and Cobalt will never be used on an actual piece of
hardware.

--
Regards,

Stan

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." B. Franklin
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 6:09:16 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Stan Gosnell wrote:
> I think Cobalt is dead, and never lived. The next OS will be mostly
> Linux, I predict, and Cobalt will never be used on an actual piece of
> hardware.

Well, it has run on actual pieces of hardware, but I'm sure you were
referring to production hardware that consumers can buy, which of
course is what really matters.

My personal belief is that Cobalt will continue to exist (all its new
APIs, security structure, graphics acceleration routines, etc.), but
the kernel will be replaced with the Linux kernel. Yes, it will be
substantially Linux, but it will also be substantially Cobalt. At
least, that's IMHO.

- Logan
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 8:36:01 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Logan Shaw <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote in news:g1wke.134334
$AE6.113294@tornado.texas.rr.com:


> Well, it has run on actual pieces of hardware, but I'm sure you were
> referring to production hardware that consumers can buy, which of
> course is what really matters.

Well, yeah, I should have been a little more specific. Production
hardware that people can actually buy is what counts.

> My personal belief is that Cobalt will continue to exist (all its new
> APIs, security structure, graphics acceleration routines, etc.), but
> the kernel will be replaced with the Linux kernel. Yes, it will be
> substantially Linux, but it will also be substantially Cobalt. At
> least, that's IMHO.

Yes, it will likely be a Linux kernel with Palm features stuck on the
sides. It won't actually be Linux as it is currently known, nor will it
be Cobalt as it currently exists somewhere, but probably a mixture of the
two. But from what I've read, Linux is going to be the important part.
I just hope they get it out the door, working properly, soon enough to
make a difference.

--
Regards,

Stan

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." B. Franklin
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 2:57:35 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Logan Shaw a écrit, le 23/05/2005 19:09 :

> Well, it has run on actual pieces of hardware, but I'm sure you were
> referring to production hardware that consumers can buy, which of
> course is what really matters.

May I remind everyone that GsPDA has announced that they would release a
Cobalt device before the end of 2005?

> My personal belief is that Cobalt will continue to exist (all its new
> APIs, security structure, graphics acceleration routines, etc.), but
> the kernel will be replaced with the Linux kernel.

Exactly. This is what has been announced.

--

Internet, newsgroups, e-mail => Netiquette
http://usenet-fr.news.eu.org/fr.usenet.reponses/usenet/...
news:fr.bienvenue news:fr.bienvenue.questions
news:news.announce.newusers news:fr.usenet.reponses
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 2:13:39 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Stan Gosnell wrote:
> "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in news:TM-dnaGjB9GSrA_fRVn-
> gw@comcast.com:
>
>> Read: LifeDrive, a disaster on OS4. Where is Cobalt; the world
>> wonders...
>
> OS4? Huh? OS4 hasn't been produced in a long time.
>
> I think Cobalt is dead, and never lived. The next OS will be mostly
> Linux, I predict, and Cobalt will never be used on an actual piece of
> hardware.

My error (twice today) on OS4.
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 2:26:54 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Logan Shaw wrote:
> Stan Gosnell wrote:
>> I think Cobalt is dead, and never lived. The next OS will be mostly
>> Linux, I predict, and Cobalt will never be used on an actual piece of
>> hardware.
>
> Well, it has run on actual pieces of hardware, but I'm sure you were
> referring to production hardware that consumers can buy, which of
> course is what really matters.
>
> My personal belief is that Cobalt will continue to exist (all its new
> APIs, security structure, graphics acceleration routines, etc.), but
> the kernel will be replaced with the Linux kernel. Yes, it will be
> substantially Linux, but it will also be substantially Cobalt. At
> least, that's IMHO.
>
> - Logan

Don't take this personally, please, but this HOLY GRAIL Cobalt, Linux,
whatever OS must simply stop. Every device that is released by (now
once again, as if a name change will help) Palm, Inc. that fails to meet
user expectations has been tagged with this Holy Grail mumbo jumbo for
at least five years and it's gotten old. The Palm user community is in
denial about the elephant in the living room, i.e., PalmSource has
consistently failed to deliver a modernized OS, cannot be held to user
and device needs for an improved modern OS, and is not responsive to any
of user criticism, market forces, or technical editorializing about its
failure. PalmSource is and has been an abject failure and there is
nothing extant to deflect that reality. Technologically, PS went on
leave of absence with no forwarding address years ago after the Vx
release. It is now likely far too late for PS to absolve itself with a
Cobalt or a Linux or any other OS for PDAs or cell phones or [your
mobile Palm device here] because the market has decided in favor of any
OS that is not a Palm OS.

Now we are going to be inundated with non-excuse excuses for the
technological absurdity that is the LifeDrive as reviewers attempt to
make the obvious shortcomings into "it's really not so bad as we all
know that it is". The Six-Second Delay is the new elephant in the
living room with reviews stating that It's No Worse Than This Older Palm
See The Data In the Table Let's Give Hugs All Around. Some "Known and
Respected" Palm review has to step up to the plate and expose that the
Emperor Has No Clothes: Palm, Inc. and PalmSource have finally,
completely, and irrevocably demonstrated their joint and several
technical incompetencies evidenced with the LifeDrive and there is no
turning back. There is no Holy Grail of a Cobalt or Linux. It is a
myth that should rationally die a needed death. PalmSource and Palm,
Inc. have closed that door with finality.

Q
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 6:37:55 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Wed, 25 May 2005 10:26:54 -0600, "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net>
wrote:

>at least five years and it's gotten old. The Palm user community is in
>denial about the elephant in the living room, i.e., PalmSource has
>consistently failed to deliver a modernized OS, cannot be held to user
>and device needs for an improved modern OS, and is not responsive to any
>of user criticism, market forces, or technical editorializing about its
>failure.

Does that mean I'll be getting my slider back?

--
Erik
!