T-Bird to Barton?

JabberJaw

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2002
Howdy,

Forgive me if this topic has already been discussed ad nauseam, but I would just like to confirm something.

I recently read a rather dated article (2/02) that suggested that AMD's new Barton cpu will be backward-compatible with existing motherboards. Is there any merit to that?

The reason I ask is that I'm interested in upgrading my "old" T-Bird 1.33 Ghz to an Athlon XP 2100. However, if it will be possible to skip the XP series entirely for a cpu that will operate at 3.0 Ghz, I think I'd rather go that route.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Phelk

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2001
Check to see if your mobo supports the 2200+ if it does then it 'should' support all of the T-bred 0.13u CPUs and the Barton at 0.13u but the 0.09u Barton-S is debatable.

Also... the T-bred or Barton cores may never reach 3.0Ghz but should certainly get to a rating of 3000+

<font color=blue> The Opteration was a success... I'm now a full-wit</font color=blue> :eek:

svol

Champion
Well I think the mobo's will support them till they reach the 14x multiplier. I'm wondering how AMD is going to get CPUs working with a 14.5x multiplier on old mobos.

My watercooler contains so much water that the moon has influence upon it :eek: .

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
They might do the same as with the T-bred, and use a translation table to get higher speeds. Thus, goofy settings, like 5x equals 14x, although it's hard to say at this point.

"When there's a will, there's a way."

tbirdXPplus

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
if u got the time, plz explain this...i dunnno what u`re saying, and i`d like to learn some more.

"Is Celeron good?"
"No. Celeron is bad."
LOL

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
I'm pretty sure that the Thouroughbred isn't truly using a 13x multiplier. Instead, it requires a change in the clock generation algorightm, and thus, the motherboard can translate a setting as a different one.

"When there's a will, there's a way."

JabberJaw

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2002
Everyone...thanks for the replies.

I have an Asus A7M266 mobo, whose BIOS I've already upgraded to revision 1007 (4/29/02)in anticipation of a possible upgrade. Hopefully that'll spell a smooth transition to the "T-bred" (not Barton?...well, Barton's a silly name for a cpu anyway).

It might be a bit premature to ask this, but would anyone know what the slew rate would be for the new T-Breds on my mobo? For T-Birds, the slew rate must be set at 3, and for XP procs, at 1.

Thanks again

balzi

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
zat mean that 14.5x is the limit of some MB electronics.. I always assumed that multipliers were limited by what the bios could be bothered supporting.

If ASUS wanted to support a 16x 17x and whatever else, couldn't they just provide and updated bios??

maybe that's too simple.. but that's what i thought.. looks like I'm wrong.

Balzi

"Hand me that 600 foot factory chimney in the corner.." - "No, no, it's my last one!!!"

Hoolio

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
well i have a KT133A chipset asus MB. I upgraded the bios to the latest revision which included:
Support for XP processors
48Bit HDD addressing.

The support of XP processors included a 2.5x/13.5x mulitplier(which i dont know how it works, how do you select between the two) and clocking upto 200Mhz fsb(ddr 400Mhz):p. it is only and sdr motherboard tho, but hmm who cares.....

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It would B nice to get a bios update to increase clock multipliers... mine is a 8KHA+ which has a max of 15x clock (2Ghz actual B4 I increase the fsb)

There are no stupid questions... just lots of inquisitive idiots...

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Well if u recall back to the old AMD K6 days, what'd AMD do to get these chips running on older boards??
WEll they give the chip an Internal Multiplier.....so lets say its 2.5 and u select 12.0x that would make a multiplier of 14.5x....correct ???? Thats the same thing that AMD did to the K6 line of CPU's and if needed they can do it here too.......i dont see why they dotn just add more multipliers in the BIOS..look at Intel's P4...Multiplers up to 20 ??? why cant that be done in this case...

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>