WAHOO!!!! :) :) :)

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Ahhhh.... one of the good days in my life... :smile: Well, after much pestering and begging, my parents finally allowed me to wait to build my comp til after school starts. (they wouldn't let me before, cause they thought it'd interfere with school)

Now, one of the main advantages to this is that I can now get a CPU for a lot less after the late August/early September price cuts. Now, I used a currency converter and I can get a 2.26B with my budget. This is really cooking now!!

Now, I have a couple questions.

1. Since this is my first comp, my parents don't want me to burn it out real fast (since they think that overclocking the CPU will). I have to tell them my target. I was thinking ~2.82GHz, since that'll give me a 166MHz FSB. Do you think this would be unachievable with stock HSF and ASIII?

2. With a FSB of 166MHz, the northbridge would probably getting real hot. Therefore, should I get a mobo with an active cooler on the northbridge? If that's the case, I'll probably have to go with the GigaByte GA-8IEXP. Seems like a good mobo anyways!

Thanks all!

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>

tbirdXPplus

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
"Well, after much pestering and begging, my parents finally allowed me to wait to build my comp til after school starts. (they wouldn't let me before, cause they thought it'd interfere with school)"

hey, where do u live? and what do u do? i kinda feel sympathetic, my parents were the same when i used to live with them.

"Is Celeron good?"
"No. Celeron is bad."
LOL

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
I live on the east coast of Canada. I'm a student. Hey, they only mean good for you!

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>

svol

Champion
I'd say you buy a better HSF just to be sure, and be sure that your NB has a large heatsink with a fan on it.

Or you could try to make your parents buy a watercooler for you... just tell them that is the best solution.

My watercooler contains so much water that the moon has influence upon it :eek: .

tbirdXPplus

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
of course they only mean good for u! i`m not saying that u`re parents r doing something wrong, and probably when u`re a parent, u`ll do the same to your kid!

this stuff really is not for this post, but anyway...i used to study like 8 hours a day(excluding classes).from sitting in front of my desk for so long, i got really fat, and my knees are killing me(i used to compete in taekwondo matches in junior high, and till my freshman year in HS, after that just studying for college; the cartilage in my knee joint got pretty much worn out, and since i didn`t have time for any knee excersize, my knees got worse... :( )

now i`m attending to a med school, and have to do more work. heck, life is like hell, and if it wasn`t for the occasional tweeking on my PC, it would have been much worse! LOL

"Is Celeron good?"
"No. Celeron is bad."
LOL

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
People seem to be doing pretty well with the stock HSF. And that's why I was gonna buy the GigaByte board, cause it has a fan/heatsink sort of thing, instead of just a heatsink.

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
I think the stock hsf should do well but remember to have good cooling for your case too. You can always try stock first then if you do need a hsf, go for a quiet one.

You'll probably have a little more choices for m/b come this sept. Hopefully the sis648 m/b are out and tested in time.

<i><font color=blue>The only difference between 200 fps and 300 fps is the blink of the eyes.</font color=blue></i>

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Yeah, I'll have 2 case fans and 2 PSU fans. Also, the northbridge will most likely have a fan and the CPU fan and the gfx card fan. I hope my system won't be too loud!

eden

Champion
I recommend the Volcano 7+, because it has variable speed control. You can set it to ultra silent, or to high noise for excellent cooling. It can also shift to a Socket 462!

--
The sound of determination is the echo of will...

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
MCX 478 best air colling for P4 150 $ cad

The day i meet a goth queen that tell me Intel suck.I turn in a lemming to fill is need in hardware.

svol

Champion
Well I checked the board, but I couldn't get a clear view at the NB heatsink... but it seems pretty smal. It is best to have a large heatsink with fan... a small [-peeping-] heatsink with fan sucks.

My watercooler contains so much water that the moon has influence upon it :eek: .

tersagun

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2001
Come on chucky, buy everything but a GigaByte board! Don't go mad for just having a N/B fan!
And i'll say nothing about your CPU choice, i'm sure you already know what i think. Who wrote my signature?! :lol:

"Don't necessarily listen to tersagun,he's been advocating AMD systems,he thinks Intel sucks ass.."

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Hmmm.... I was hoping to use only stock HSF. So I PM'ed AMD_Man, since he has a 2.26B and a stock HSF and only a HS on the NB of his IT7 MAX (which he RMA'd). He got to 2.92GHz. That's more than what I'm hoping for.

To svol: Yeah, it's just a little fan like contraption... I'm looking into the BD7II-RAID again!! :eek: Would a crystal orb/blue orb be good enough?

To tersagun: Why?

P.S. I said that???..... :tongue:

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
he RMAed his IT7 cuz his ram wouldnt run at ddr400+ speeds...
the main reason he got that board was so he can run his samsung pc2700 ram at pc3200+ speeds...since that didnt work...he had no reason to keep it...now he has the TH7-II...

:eek: <b>L <font color=red>A</font color=red> e <font color=red>T</font color=red> a <font color=red>I</font color=red> K</b> :eek:

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Yeah, he got bad RAM that wouldn't o/c well so he RMA'd the mobo/RAM, then got a TH7II and some Hynix RDRAM, which died, then he got some Samsung. Tough luck for him!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Yeah, he got bad RAM that wouldn't o/c well so he RMA'd the mobo/RAM, then got a TH7II and some Hynix RDRAM, which died, then he got some Samsung. Tough luck for him!
Considering I didn't pay a penny for the replacements, I won't say so. :wink:

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
Didn't you have to pay a restocking fee or was the m/b damaged?

<i><font color=blue>The only difference between 200 fps and 300 fps is the blink of the eyes.</font color=blue></i>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I didn't pay a fee for the mobo, but I just recalled that I did pay a $10 or $15 fee for the RAM. Then again, RDRAM prices went up a bit so I'm not angry. In fact, my parts would cost more if I brought them now than in early July.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink: