Options for the transfer of programs and data from SSD to internal har

fawmaine

Honorable
May 14, 2012
I would like suggestions on how to transfer programs and data from SSD to hard drive. I want the secondary drive to be the default drive for my photographic files. Limited music and video files will be kept there as well as documents and other similar
data. As I don't have a lot of experience I would like to have responses that offer instructions at different levels of complexity.

This is not strictly true. You can swap ANY program between the SSD and a secondary drive using links. This is especially handy for games you are currently playing. you can do this with commands yourself, but steammover will do this for you, for any program, automatically.

www.traynier.com/software/steammover

When suggesting crap like that to a Youngster, you should at least point him to the listed con's plus the known shortcomings of junctions, like trouble with backup programs, update installers and so on.

Lol "crap like that". Wow. Just wow. they are Microsoft supported and developed commands. They work fine. Backups aren't needed for programs, but it doesn't matter if your doing full backups, and they'd work anyway. updaters work fine, and the pros and cons are clearly listed. Its also the only way to do what hes asking.

Guess I should just lie and say it can't be done and tell him to needlessly uninstall and reinstall programs constantly? Cause that's helpful.

Ok, i will take the crap back. There is still a reason, why these commands are only supported on the command line and not in the gui. Junctions are not even shown in explorer and you need to know how to get the PowerToys to make them visible. And i don't thing we are talking about "constantly" uninstalling and reinstalling programs. The question was how to do it one time.
Beside that, we are constantly lying here somehow, because there are many other problems that could be fixed by an experienced admin, but recommend the proper way: reinstall the os / driver / program.