Most confusing freeze on Windows install.

ThackeryBinks

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
I am beyond confused at this current project. I'm certainly not a professional tech, but I feel I'm exhausting ideas. If you have any ideas, I'd love to try them, but even if not, thanks for reading :)

So I buy a pre-owned computer from Best Buy for my wife's birthday, HP P7-1234. Quadcore Amd-A6, 8GB ram, 2TB hard drive.
I try to install an OS on it. Freezes with the starting windows logo before it gets the chance to load the installer.
Upon entering safe mode install, it's freezing on disk.sys. Install option never gets to load.
So I assume it's a bad hard drive. (Best buy btw, offers to make it right, but has no replacements, so I take a discount and choose to keep it) I run tests on the hard drive. All come back fine. So I try another hard drive with windows already installed. Freezes & reboots at the exact same spot. So I try a 3rd hard drive. Same thing. So I assume RAM. Remove 1 stick at a time. Same thing for both. So I run memtest86 extended. No errors. Cpu test. No errors. So I start disabling everything in bios. Disabled what UEFI as I knew how, disabled all usb, Sata 1 by 1. Then all disabled sata with win7 usb. Then disabled all usb with windows on disc. Reset CMOS. Tried other windows versions from my other laptops. Official Windows 7 disks. Tried Windows 8. Freeze at the exact same spot. Read over threads involving disk.sys for days. Bought a brand new power supply, replaced the 300watts with 350 watts, still freezing. Set Sata mode to Ahci, then ide, then raid, no help. Changed EVERYTHING in bios. No luck. Bought new ram. Same problem. So... bought a whole new motherboard. SAME PROBLEM. HOW CAN THIS BE POSSIBLE. Not even using the cases usb ports, etc. The ONLY thing that hasn't been changed out is the CPU, but new ram, power supply, motherboard, how can it keep having the same problem?? Cpu tests come back fine, am I to now replace that as well? The new motherboard I bought is an MSI a55m-p33. Tried changing things in bios. No luck. Flashed bios to new version. No luck.

I've even put in a new video card to see if it was the onboard graphics, no luck.

Even with all Sata cables unplugged, only the cpu/fan powered, it still freezes at disk.sys. Am I to move to a 500 watt power supply for this setup? Any idea what's going on? Thanks :)

ThackeryBinks

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
Ok, just tried that, with the ultimate boot cd. Still freezing on disk.sys. But then again, I've tried multiple hard drives at this point, some with preinstalled Windows on it that work fine and still freeze when I put them in this device.
Thanks for the help either way :)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4062&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5231485#N824
try running hp boot diag cd see if anything fails.
if not the issue is going ot be more then likely your missing the amd sata and mb chipset drivers during the windows set up and windows does not have the right drivers to continue. try downloading the sata and mb chipset drivers and make a inf cd or usb stick and hit f6 to do a custom install during windows 7/8 install and install the amd chipset drivers/sata chipset drivers. in the bios also make sure the hard drive sata ports are set to achi mode.

sanilmahambre

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2012
One fellow had the same problem look how he solved his problem!

Hi Everyone

My problem is solved doing the follwing:

1.- I restart and get in BIOS console, to disable SATA CONTROLLER, saved changes and rebooted my computer.

2.- I get in BIOS again and put enabled SATA CONTROLLER again and restart.

3.- I insert the Windows Standard 2003 Server CD, then I tryed to get in command console which was impossible cause it ask for a admin user and password, it doesn't matter, just restart.

And in some way this actions refreshing boot files in some part fo my computer, and now is working perfectly!!!

MAYBE IS A REFRESHING ON MY PARTITION TABLE OR MY BOOTING FILES, I'M NOT SURE, BUT THIS SOLVED MY ISSUE.