Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Few Windows Installation Questions... Please help

Last response: in Windows 7
March 9, 2013 7:13:44 PM

Last year my girlfriend bought a Toshiba Sattelite laptop - long story short, it was having issues that we finally figured out to be the HDD so I bought an SSD for it and am currently awaiting delivery.

I'm wondering if there is going to be any issues installing the same copy of windows on a different drive on the same machine? It came with windows 7 pre installed and has the cd key sticker on the bottom of the unit (I have a copy of the install cd).

Also wondering if there is going to be any issue since it came with a WD 5400 SATA HDD and I purchased an SSD instead? Suppose I should have asked that before I bought it, can always return I guess.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
March 9, 2013 7:37:18 PM

You can install the same version back onto it and use the same activation key as on the laptop sticker. While you said you have a disk, it may not be a full install disk unless she paid extra to get it, so if you need a new installer DVD, download an image of the same version from the MS online agent DIGITAL RIVER. It should online activate after install, but if you have any issues, a phone activation is quick and only takes a couple minutes (and I've not actually had to speak to a person doing it a half dozen times).

No issues going to an SSD, but if the bios has AHCI SATA mode, use that instead of IDE mode before the install. Also optimize the SSD after with THIS guide.
a b $ Windows 7
March 9, 2013 7:41:05 PM

No issues. Plug the SSD in and do a clean install of windows. Just make sure the SATA controller is set to AHCI in the BIOS first, although that's pretty much guaranteed on a laptop, your install media is the same version as the license for the laptop, and you have the laptop drivers downloaded on a USB, especially the SATA driver in case needed during install.

The windows license is tied to the laptop itself, e.g. the motherboard. You can swap drives and reinstall all you want.

Edit:gah. Best while typing lol
m
l
Related resources
March 10, 2013 3:55:13 PM

The Windows 7 install disc I have did not come with the laptop. However it's for Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and the laptop is Home version x64. Do I need to get a separate ISO and burn it or is my disc reverse compatible so to speak? Thanks again for the quick replys!
m
l
March 10, 2013 3:55:29 PM

Best answer selected by TheNewman.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 10, 2013 4:47:12 PM

TheNewman said:
The Windows 7 install disc I have did not come with the laptop. However it's for Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and the laptop is Home version x64. Do I need to get a separate ISO and burn it or is my disc reverse compatible so to speak? Thanks again for the quick replys!
Yes, you need Home Premium x64 to work with your key.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 10, 2013 5:06:09 PM

As long as you have access to another system you'll be fine -- what you need to do is make an iso image of the install media that you have and delete one file from the iso (EI.cfg) - this is the file that tells the install media which version to install (all disks have all versions and this file specifies which version to install) - After removing this file burn a new disk and use it to install the proper version (when the file is removed a window will come up during the install asking which version to install and you just select the correct one to match your key !)

There is a program you can download HERE that automates the removal from the image - just copy the install media to a HDD - run the removal program and burn the resulting image to a disk to use for installation - select the proper version to match your key and install. (Note : using these programs are completely legal since you still need the proper license key for the version you install in order to activate !)
m
l
!