Age of Mythology

l3um

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2002
Anyone looking forward to buying this game? I am a big Age series fan myself and have both AOE and AOK + their X-Pacs. I got to admit they do get boring, but AOM seems to have a twist with the large diversity among the cultures and gods. The god powers also add so nice strategies.

I believe AOM will do quite nicely as there will be more elements added to it that will make it popular longer thank AOK. For example in a few months AOK got strategies that were repetative and soon got boring.

People compare AOM to EE saying EE is better. What do you guys think? I believe in quality which is AOM rather than quantity which is EE.

For people who don't know what the abbreviations are:

AOE: Age of Empires
AOK: Age of Kings
AOM: Age of Mythology
EE: Empire Earth
X-Pack: Expansion Pack

What's this?...ERROR ERROR ERROR...*CRASH & BURN*

Hadi

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2002
AOM seems to be a great game.i'm not a fan of "Age Of Empires" though I have played the first and the second one.

If you want to look for a great RTS(real time strategy) you should look for "starcraft" or the new game "Warcraft3". in this point i can't belive that AOM will be better than any of these two. I've played lots of strategy games but you can't easily find games that can match these two in quality.

l3um

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2002
I liked the Age series for there realism. It's fun having units the use swords and bows instead of bullets and lasers :smile: . As for Warcraft 3 I heard you don't get epic battles with over a hundred units. I also dislike the idea of having heros that gain experience over time. This feels too much like an RPG.

In AOM you get heroes but all they are really good for is a counter for mythological units. Also the spells or "god powers" are one time uses so you don't have to worry about the opponent casting spells on you a bunch of times like they could in Warcraft 3.

My final thought...The age series is more RTS while Warcraft 3 is RPS "role playing strategy".

What's this?...ERROR ERROR ERROR...*CRASH & BURN*

juicebykurt

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
a lot more goes into an rpg then just an experience meter and an inventory. and these are the only two things that wc3 and rpgs have in common. it is 100% rts. judging by your post it doesnt sound like youve even played wc3 yet so why try and turn someone away from a game you have no real expeience with?

l3um

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2002
Hey, I'm not trying to convince anyone about not buying it. If they are into that then that's fine with me. I'm just saying I don't like it as much as AOM's style of play. If you like the game great for you, but I will stick with large battles using archers and swords.

BTW You said its 100% RTS but you also said it had things in common with RPG's. That contradicts each other. Blizzard even said WC3 is a hybrid of RTS and RPG so I'm just repeating the facts.

How can my feet smell if it doesn't have a nose?

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
There are a couple of missions in WC3 that are more RPG like. However the larger battles are all about RTS and your leveled up characters play a significant role.(A higher leveled character can turn the tide of a battle occasionally) The RPG elements are generally restricted to certain missions and give a nice break in the gameplay. There really is nothing much like out right now and if your even remotely a fan of RTS games then you'll enjoy this one.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

stano

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001
I just got my PC Gamer aannndddd the final verdict is

90%

Highs: Gorgeous artwork:terrifc gameplay:lots of new units,spells and effects.

Lows: AL oppoents can be outrageously difficult to beat:getting experience points is a long process.

Bottom line: Its a worthy sequel:deep,classy, and fiercely addictive.

The only review to beat it this month is......

NeverWinter Nights..............95%
bottom line:Some of the greatest PC gamming I've ever had. An extraordinary game.

18r
Stano

while I'm spamming, I might as well give the worst,,,,,

The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Trivia Challenge...35%

juicebykurt

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
when i said 100% rts i meant it. at the games heart its a rts through and through. it just takes it a step further and adds some cool features to makes the game more involving. it may not fit your cookie cutter idea of what a rts should be like but nevertheless its a rts game before it even comes close to anything else.