Help me OC please

Im_gumby

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
While I've built several machines, I've yet to try to OC one, and I thought I'd start now. Originally, I planned on waiting for the Barton, but I figured I would try it now and upgrade later. Here's the vitals

Mobo: Asus K7V333 w/Raid
CPU: Athlon XP 2000+ (99% sure it's a Palamino)
RAM: Corsair 512 Meg 2700 DDR
VPU: Ati 64 DDR (7500)

As always, your help is appreciated.

Lobbest thou thy Holy Hand-Grenade of Antioch...

BigBiggist

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
Sorry, nothing about overclocking, i just love the signiture. What is that Monty Python, that movie kills.

I love the bunny rabbit part, its hilarious. :smile:

Anyways, don't you have to unlock the processor to overclock it? I heard that sucks. I would recommend that you increase the fsb by 1 mhz increments to maintain stability. You will also have to mess around with memory timings and core voltage and the such. I don't know how to do that. I would like to learn how too. Hopefully it is a similar procedure with the Pentium 4, thats what i need to overclock.

svol

Champion
Well the best thing what you can do with that mobo/CPU and memory is unlock the CPU.
As you may know the speed of a CPU=multiplier*FSB (1670=133*12.5). If you unlcok the CPU you get the ability to change the multiplier toom you can already change the FSB inside your BIOS.
Because you have PC2700 memory and a 333 MHz mobo the first thing you got to do is get the CPU running at a FSB of atleast 166 instead of 133. You can do this (after unlocken the CPU) by setting the FSB to 166 (=333 DDR) MHz and the multplier to 10, also check if the PCI divider is set to 1/5. This way you get a CPU running at 1666.6 MHz and 166.66 MHz FSB.
Then you start raising the FSB a couple of MHz a time and after that boot and check if the system is stable. If the system isn't stable try if raising the VCore to 1.8V helps or otherise (if it is possible with your mobo) set the Voltage of the memory a little higher (it is best to stay under the 2.8V). After some time you will notice that you can't higher the FSB anything without getting a unstable system. At that point you drop the FSB 1 0r 2 MHz to get a rock stable system and we continue to the next OC part.
Now we're going to raise the multiplier, if the system isn't stable raise the VCore of your CPU (rasing the voltage of the memory wont work here). Continue to do this till your VCore is at 1.85V (the max on your board without modding it) and the system and your system can't go any faster. At this point you will have the fastest system your mobo and CPU can handle without modding the motherboard or using extreme cooling.
<b>Keep in mind that with OC'ing your temps will rise, so always keep an eye on them. Also keep in mind that you will need good cooling to OC your CPU this far</b>

Good luck, and if you have any questions please ask.

My watercooler contains so much water that the moon has influence upon it :eek: .

Im_gumby

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
BTW, for a HSF, I have a TT volcano 9 with AS3. Is this going to be sufficient for OCing or is a water system a necessity?

Im_gumby

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
And how do I unlock the CPU? Are there any good sites that show a step by step?

BigBiggist

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
This might help:

<A HREF="http://www17.tomshardware.com/column/01q4/011124/index.html" target="_new">http://www17.tomshardware.com/column/01q4/011124/index.html</A>

svol

Champion
The Volcano 9 with AS will be sufficient for a decent overclock. But ofcourse if you really want to get the maximum possible out of the CPU by extreme overclocking you need to use peltiers and watercooling or liquid hidrogen :smile: .

My watercooler contains so much water that the moon has influence upon it :eek: .