Sign in with
Your question

Dual XPs, Durons, etc... easily upgradeable

Last response: in CPUs
August 9, 2002 7:47:23 AM

So, I had an idea but I haven't found an article on it yet. Why don't people buy dual processor mobos, overclock the first CPU they get, then down the road add another CPU that is much cheaper because of price falls and end up with a decent machine? You don't have to replace your old CPU and try to get a decent sell-back out of it. I would assume that dual processors would compare pretty well under full load to boards with a single superior processor.

I also read an article that says you can now have dual XPs or Durons by simpling bridging two of the L5 dots (forgot what they were called but you know what I mean). Apparently it makes XPs show up as MPs. However, I don't know what an MP is. I assume it's somehow better since it is more expensive.

Thoughts?
Robb²
August 9, 2002 8:48:43 AM

some people do, do this as u asked.....
Thing is, IS that extra overall cost needed for what YOU use the computer for??

the other problem with this, which im not 100% about is.....can we run a dual processor board uni-processor? That i do not know the answer too......
as far as dual Duron's go......whats the sense??? 1 AXP is better than 2 Durons as it is.......well...depending on what ur doing...overall an AXP would be faster.....especially gaming etc...and definently office work aswell...due to the L2 ache limiation the Durons have........theres an article comparing dual t-birds, to dual MP's and Dual Durons....they even mixed it up..1 t-bird and 1 Duron etc......

Anyways again, the benefits of a dual prcoessor setup are only usefull if u use multi-threaded programs or do some REAL heavy multi-tasking....the average user does not do this...therefore dual setups would be useless.....Windows will not be any faster at all....but running more than 1 program simultaneously will be......and renderign programs and all those of such will run better ASSUMING again there code is specificaly written to support more than 1 CPU......

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>
August 9, 2002 9:42:56 AM

Running a dual CPU system is often significantly slower than a single CPU system, it is really intended for managing CPU intensive multi-thread activities. If you have money to spend, there are far better areas to look for performance gains, e.g. RAID.

:eek:  Wingding - Tom's official Forum Pervert :eek: 
Related resources
August 9, 2002 10:54:16 AM

Sometimes I feel tired of questions that are often discussed here... Sorry. ;-)
First, to use the power of the 2 CPUs you need: 1) an OS that supports 2 CPUs (NT, W2K, XP, Linux, Unix, etc.) and 2)applications that support 2 CPUs (like most of Adobe's). The OS is managing the co-work of the two heros. The application is telling every CPU what to do. If you have an XP and if you test 1)a system with one Duron 1300MHz, 2)a system with two Durons 650MHz and 3)a system with one Duron 650 MHz, you will see that: for most applications (not using 2-CPUs instruction) the fastest is system 1), and system 2) and 3) are almost equal; for several applications system 2) is nearly as fast as system 1) /but, anyway, significantly slower) and for some very specific applications that need extremely 2 or more CPUs, system 2) will be the fastest one. To reveal the full power of the 2-CPUs system, you have to double the RAM needed for single-CPU system.
Regarding guys above:
- Yes, no problem, one CPU will work fine on dual mobo;
- No, the new dual mobos are nearly as fast as the single mobos - it depends on the manufacturer of the mobo and the chipset.
In conclusion: because of its higher price, buy dual mobo ONLY if you REALLY work with applications that can utilize dual CPU work. And don't forget to buy MORE memory!
BTW, most of the chipsets for dual mobos requires the 2 CPUs to be at the same clock speed and of the same type. You can't put into them 1 Athlon 1000MHz and 1 Duron 1000 MHz, or 1 XP 2200+ and 1 Duron 1200 MHz.

<font color=orange>ÃÎËßÌ ÇÀËÚÊ ËÀÏÍÈ, ÃÎËßÌÀ ÙÀÍÃÀ ÂÄÈÃÍÈ!</font color=orange>
a b à CPUs
August 9, 2002 11:04:21 AM

The last two guys are right. Now as far as bridging the L5's, yes the XP and MP are the same CPU, AMD cuts a few bridges on the XP to make it not work in multiple processor configuration. When you buy an MP, you're basically paying a lot for AMD NOT to cut those bridges. It's AMD's way of getting more money out of people who can afford to build such systems. Intel does the same thing with the P4 and P4 XEON, but goes a step further by altering the socket!

<font color=blue>By now you're probably wishing you had asked more questions first!</font color=blue>
August 9, 2002 7:01:25 PM

Dinski......sorry bud but on Dual AMD platform u do NOT need to have 2 CPU's witht he same clock speed or type..u CAN mix lets say a 1200MHz Duron with a AMP 1700+....or a T-Bird 1000C and a T-Bird 1.13GHz..... as long as both chips r running on the same FSB speed....they'll work together...ONLY with the AMD PLatform....u have to remember....the EV6 bus protocal allows this as opposed to Intels GTL+ for the P3 and Tully and Celery (Socket 370) etc....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>
August 9, 2002 7:23:40 PM

Sorry that I was misunderstood. Yes, I said that MOST (not all) of them require similar CPUs.
The truth is my data was a bit older. I'm sure that there WAS and older K7 chipset that used to require equal CPUs... and that later this was changed, but the chips weren't cheap so the mobos based on them were selling bad.
The fact I didn't know till now (it was logical to predict, but anyway, I couldn't because I've been sleepy these last days)that the improved chips are now cheap.
This is a valuable information.
Thanx.

<font color=orange>ÃÎËßÌ ÇÀËÚÊ ËÀÏÍÈ, ÃÎËßÌÀ ÙÀÍÃÀ ÂÄÈÃÍÈ!</font color=orange>
August 9, 2002 10:21:44 PM

Well since I don't really use multi-tasking software that would utilize both processors I guess it's not worth it for me. I just thought int might be a good way to build an inexpensive setup now and then add-on in the future without having to sell or trash the CPU. I wouldn't build another computer for it so it wouldn't be worth keeping, and no, I can't afford RAID and don't really know much about it anyways. Thanks guys.

Robb²
!