Duzen

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2002
Is it true that A7V333's hardware monitoring shows CPU's temperatures higher than they are? (BIOS 1007)

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
The A7V333 use the CPU thermal diode inside the core to monitor temp, this method is more reliable then than termal sensors ( resistor based ) installed underneath the chip. Since the diode is inside the CPU core, the temps reported will always be higher then those reported by a resistor under the chip.

Fok Speling Misstake

gaviota

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
I have an A7V333. Temperatures reported on this motherboard are about 10C higher than what you normally get on other motherboards. Even though this higher temperatures are supposedly more accurate, I've heard that Asus fixed the problem in BIOS 1011. I haven't installed it yet because last time I checked it was still a Beta release, and knowing that my temperatures are OK, I don't want to risk screwing up my PC by installing a Beta BIOS.
If the CPU temperatures reported by your Asus Probe are below 65C you're OK.

Duzen

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2002
That's the problem.. they aren't.
Once my CPU reached 83C but didn't locked up.. the system was stable at this temperature, but I don't want it to run at such high temperature so I open the case and the temperature is going down.
I don't know what is wrong there, maybe the power supply is getting to hot and warming the air inside the case?
Maybe it's just the monitoring is not good.

BTW, I had checked in the Asus site, and I couldn't see the 1011 is beta.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
I just flashed to <A HREF="http://cgi.asus.com.tw/cgi-bin/dl.asp?filename=mb/socka/kt333/a7v333/av33311.zip" target="_new"> BIOS 1011</A> and I get much lower temps now ( 10C less ).

I guess that was a bug from previous BIOSes because an undervolted Duron ( I'm running mine @ 1.375V instead of 1.750V ) connected to a HUGE <A HREF="http://cybercoolerinc.com/p-20000ac.html" target="_new"> P-20000AC FULL cooper HSF </A> @ 44C under full load seems more realistic than the 58C I was getting previously.

Fok Speling Misstake

gaviota

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
I agree, your cpu is too hot. The Asus A7V333 is supposed to have something called COP (CPU Overheat Protection) which is supposed to protect your cpu from getting fried. I don't trust its 100% effective, but make sure its activated in your motherboard anyway.
What heatsink and cpu fan do you have? How many and what kind of case fans do you have?

I originally had the stock AMD heatsink and cpu fan, two power supply fans, and one case fan. My cpu temperature was 70 - 80C. Then I installed an Alpha PAL 8045 heatsink, an 84 cfm cpu fan, the same two power supply fans, and four case fans. My cpu temperature is now in the 60 - 70C range, but I now have too much noise...my PC sounds like a tornado.

Duzen

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2002
The C.O.P is set to shutdown the PC on 85c.
I have Volcano 6, 2 80mm case fans and one power supply fan.

May be my power supply couses the air in the case to be very hot, and then the CPU doesn't have enough 'cold' air.

I will try to put one more fan on the other side of the power supply.

If it doesn't help, I will flash to 1011.

gaviota

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
My recommendations are the following:

1) One of your case fans should be in the front of the case blowing air INTO the case and the other should be in the back blowing air OUT of the case. If both fans are blowing in or both are blowing out, then they're not doing anything. I don't recommend you install more than 2 case fans because your PC might end up making too much noise, like mine.

2) I don't know what thermal compound or adhesive you're using between your cpu and heatsink. Buy some Arctic Silver 3, its cheap ($6) and should help lower your temperature. Be sure to follow the installation instructions carefully.

3) I don't have any experience with Volcano 6 heatsinks, but according to www.overclockers.com its "about mid-range of what I think is acceptable." If after the previous two steps your cpu is still hot, I recommend you upgrade to a better performing heatsink, like a Volcano 7+.

4) As a last option, buy additional fans, but buy them in pairs and install one as intake in the front of the case and the other as exhaust in the back.

In the end you should have 60 - 70C with your BIOS, or 50 - 60C with 1011.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I have an A7v333 running an XP1800+ @ 1667Mhz. I used to run it with no Case fans. The only fans were the CPU Fan (on a Coolermaster Silent Heatpipe), Graphics card fan, and one of the PSU fans (on a two fan PSU). The temperature averaged at 60 - 65 celcius as shown on the Asus iPanel. One day it went upto over 80 celcius I think with the case temp at ~35. I got a blue screen, and thought I'll get a few fans.

I installed one 80mm intake fan on the front, and cut of the perforations for the air intake. So, instead of a few perforations, theres one big fan size hole. Cut of a big piece of the side and installed a 90mm intake fan. One 80mm extractor fan on the back (again with the perforations removed), and reconnected the second fan on the PSU. Also added a small fan on the chipset heatsink. I taped down the ide ribbons so they don't restrict airflow and added lots of cardboard ducting to control the airflow.

The system is pretty loud, but the cpu temp is down to 48 going upto 53-54 during a divx session on a hot day, with the case temp at 26-27 at lowest and 30-31 at highest.

Ok, can anyone tell me what the correct tools are for cutting these 8-9cm holes on the metal case. I used a drill to make a series of consecutive holes to cut out a shape. The problem with that it takes too long and more importantly it leaves dangourously sharp bits. I put on a few layers of superglue to to cover the sharp bits :lol: . (I know, I'm not the kinda guy you'd ask for diy help from).

<b><font color=red>I'm a bomb technician. If you see me running, try to keep up.</font color=red></b>

gaviota

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
I forgot to mention - updating your BIOS to 1011 will not improve your cpu temperature. The temperature reported by the monitoring software will be lower, but the real temperature, which is the important one, will be exactly the same.

Duzen

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2002
I know they will be the same, but after updating I will know what exactly the temperature of my CPU/MB.
If they 10c lower, I won't worry at all.

For now both the case fans blowing into the case, when I changed the direction of the rear fan it doesn't influenced the temperatures.

Is it possible that my system runs stable at 46c MB temperature?

Duzen

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2002
I can do anything but my case temperature will never be 27c or even 30c.
Thats because the air temperatures during the summer at home are 28c in the morning to 31c in the middle of the day.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Not my room. It gets direct impact of the sun until some past noon (we get the sun kinda at a southern angle in the UK, being in the northern hemisphere and all). on a sunny day that heats up my room to a temperature quite a bit higher than outside, even with the windows open.

Then, without the number of fans the air in the comp stays pretty still. The computer is under the table, again where the air stays pretty still. But with all those fans, the air is always moving instead of reheating the same hot air.

<b><font color=red>I'm a bomb technician. If you see me running, try to keep up.</font color=red></b>

TRENDING THREADS