Sign in with
Your question

How Hot Can a T-Bird Get?

Last response: in CPUs
August 9, 2002 5:05:09 PM

Hey Guys,
My AMD Athlon 1400 (266 FSB) runs into 72 C sometimes, I've got a Volcano 5 fan on it, but NO case fans aside from my Power Supply (Until they come in any day now) how hot is it safe for it to run at, and how much difference will 5 case fans make? Thanks!

More about : hot bird

August 9, 2002 7:07:32 PM

72 degree is safe to run if the system remains stable.
August 9, 2002 7:38:06 PM

Despite the fact that the CPU will be ok thermally until 95 degrees celcious.......That temperature is RIDICULOUSLY hot.....i dont think i have ever in my life time heard of sum 1 running there processor at an insane temperature like that...do u get alot or any lock-ups? Freezing? rebooting...anythign at all for instability?

U might wanna consider a new HSF....a Volcano 5 was NOT intended for a 1.4Ghz T-Bird.......try a Thermaltake Volcano 7+...that will REALY keep the temps down......

Also currently....do u have a TIM on the bottom of ur heatsink, or some Arctic Silver of any kind? or is it just bare metal of the HSF touching ur CPU core ??

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>
Related resources
August 9, 2002 7:55:48 PM

Quote:
72 degree is safe to run if the system remains stable.

LMAO!

This sig runs too hot.
August 9, 2002 9:50:45 PM

I believe that is Laughing my ass off, I don't think there's any compound in between or anything right now, I've got the tower lying on its side with the covers off and it's running at a cool(er) 60 C, What would be the coolest I can get it down to under full load as it usually is from Seti@Home without any motorcycle radiators or the like?
August 9, 2002 9:55:56 PM

Also as a note, This is the most stable system I've ever owned, runs Win2K Pro, never locks up or freezes, 3D Gaming, Full load always from Seti@Home, like a rock, I use a cheap ECS K7S5A board with 256MB of PC2100 DDR, and GeForce2 GTS 64MB. Great system aside from making me sweat so much when I'm in the room:) 
August 9, 2002 10:01:19 PM

You need to use Arctic Silver 3, or actually any other thermal grease will do. 60c is not bad. If taking the side panels off are any indication of what good airflow could do, than maybe the 5 case fans will take care of your problem. But I recommend some sort of thermal material between the CPU, and Heatsink.......AMD also recommends that, but you came here hehe. Even thermal tape is better than nothing at all.

This sig runs too hot.
August 10, 2002 12:08:38 AM

"Hey Guys,
My AMD Athlon 1400 (266 FSB) runs into 72 C sometimes, I've got a Volcano 5 fan on it, but NO case fans aside from my Power Supply (Until they come in any day now) how hot is it safe for it to run at, and how much difference will 5 case fans make? Thanks!"

T-Birds are notorious for heat problems. Not only do they get really hot, they also no thermal protection to keep from burning themselves up (unlike the Athlon XP's or Intel chips). It would be a good idea to at least add 1 intake fan, and 1 exhaust fan. I personally don't think you need 5 case fans.
August 10, 2002 4:10:51 PM

Ok.....Like LED stated.....get some Arctic Silver 3......apply in onto the CPU die....approx. the size of a grain of rice...and put ur heatsink and fan back on...again like i said before though.....i recomend a new heatsink and fan...urs is not rated for ur chip.......it may SAY it is...but it really isnt, i think TT Volcano 5 is one of there worst ones ever....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>
August 10, 2002 5:13:23 PM

I'm sorry to say that the XP only has a temp protection if the mobo supports reading the oncore temp-diode, and has a shutdown function built into it... otherwise it will just frie itself as well.

My watercooler contains so much water that the moon has influence upon it :eek:  .
August 10, 2002 5:18:22 PM

Well I think it is better to get another HSF as well. But where do you want to place all those fans? For most systems 2 casefans are enough. Only crazy OC'ers like me have about 6 casefans (got a total of 14 fans inside my system).
Tell me how your case looks and what kind of fans you bought (probably 80mm) and I can help you place them at the best spots.

My watercooler contains so much water that the moon has influence upon it :eek:  .
August 10, 2002 5:53:52 PM

The MP is supposed to as well. But here is the problem: There are only 2 motherboards for the XP that support the onboard thermal protection. So if you don't have either of those motherboards, it really doesn't have thermal protection.

Knowledge is the key to understanding
August 10, 2002 6:00:20 PM

Yup, so as you and I say... there almost isn't any thermal protection for all Athlons and Durons... but maybe new versions of the T-bred or Barton get them (not likely).

August 12, 2002 8:45:39 PM

Hey, I bought 4 Enermax 80MM Thermo controlled fans, here's where I placed them for now, My case only has 2 spots for fans, I stacked the two together to make a 80mmX80mmX40MM fan effectively and mounted each stack, one stack in front breathing in and one stack in back blowing out, in front I placed the heat sensors between the HDD and the case (wedged in) and in the rear I placed the between the HOT PSU and the case, It cooled down my processor temp with covers on at full load from 74 C to 68 C, I have another 80MM fan coming from ebay any day, I plan to mount it as an exhaust fan blowing out air on top mounted horizontally with some drilled holes just in front of the PSU on the top of the case, this would also be right above the PSU, so I think it will help cool it further, plus it is a neon blue LED fan so it will look cool. I ordered some Arctic Silver for my processor and I'm thinking I'm going to buy a Volcano 7 or 7+. Would you move those fans?

Also, forgot to mention I have a blower fan mounted in the slot next to my GeForce 2 64 GTS<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mattr0815 on 08/12/02 05:47 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
August 13, 2002 6:43:19 AM

well if its stable, its ok... allthough it would be nice to know your case temps too. im worried that excessive case temps might advrsely effect the reliability of your hard drive(s)

what can help is just a single low speed rear casefan. just the one fan can reduce your system temps significantly, as well as ambient case temps for all other components.

try not to rely on the psu too much for case cooling as the psu fans really just cool the psu.

<b>Before visiting THG i was a clueless noob. Now im still clueless, but look at my nice title!<b>
August 13, 2002 11:25:51 AM

Well I don't know how efficient 2*80mm fans are, but if you don't want to cut any more holes in your case they're probably on the best spots.
The Arctic Silver and the Volcano would bring down your CPU temp even more.

August 13, 2002 6:41:11 PM

Alrighty, Here's the latest temps under full load (Please note I MAY have reversed the Motherboard and Ambient temps, as they were listed as temp2 and temp3, so I guessed:
CPU: 61 C
Motherboard: 38 C
Hard Disk: 31 C
Case: 23 C

Today's outside temp is about 30 C (86 F)

Here's a pic of the current fan temp with the new 80 MM fan added this am, tilting against the Volcano 5 at a 45 degree angle blowing air on the side of the heatsink and on the Motherboard chipset.
http://munich.v-net.org/~matt/fans.jpg

I'm reconsidering drilling the hole in the top since the fan seems to work so well tilting against the CPU Heatsink. (Attached crudely with some twistties) Let me know what you think!

- Matt

Maybe I need a bigger motorcycle rad for that watercooler....
August 13, 2002 11:45:40 PM

ahhh haa. outside temp 30C... what about room temp. that tells me the weather is reasonably warm, jet your PC is still very stable, thus <b>dont worry about your temps... the diode that reads the CPU temp is probably just set higher than normal</b>

<b>Before visiting THG i was a clueless noob. Now im still clueless, but look at my nice title!<b>
August 14, 2002 5:56:14 AM

I don't think so. From what I've been told by other people, it's not uncommon for Athlons to get that hot. His CPU temp is way down, so that's good. I find it interesting though that the case temp is lower than the temp in his room...

August 14, 2002 5:59:04 AM

I don't think so. From what I've been told by other people, it's not uncommon for Athlons to get that hot. His CPU temp is way down, so that's good. I find it interesting though that the case temp is lower than the temp in his room...

August 14, 2002 6:16:20 AM

Ooops, sorry. Looks like I posted the same thing twice. It was an accident.

August 14, 2002 8:49:31 AM

Id liek to nkwo where u got those readings from ??

cuz as far as i know...MBM5 AT MOST will only give u 4 temperature readings.......

CPU, Chipset, Hard Drive, and Ambient.....

its hard for a lot of them to get the Ambient temp. though...

August 14, 2002 1:35:33 PM

All of the temps are coming from a Monitoring program , SpeedFan, My motherboard is a K7S5A. As for the case temp being lower than the room temp, the outdoor temp is 30 C, but I have the windows open and a ceiling fan bringing it down to probably a little lower than that. I'm hoping the thermal grease and the new HSF will help out when they get here, All of the other temp readings I've heard of for the 1400 have been under 50 C at full load or not much at all above.

August 14, 2002 8:04:44 PM

I had a ECS K7S5A before my ASUS A7S333 board i have now.....
Good board....my 1400MHz Athlon XP 1600+ ran at 37 celcious with a Chipset temp. of 26 and room temp of 20 celcious....

August 14, 2002 8:09:26 PM

Is that what the 3 temperature reading are for that I recieved from the motherboard? CPU, Chipset and Case? Do you know where the case temp sensor is located on the K7S5A? Thanks a lot!

August 15, 2002 12:30:35 AM

possibly.

i thought he said "outside temp" not room temp. often a big difference.
if 30C is his room then 23C case is a thermodynamic impossibility, and thus the reading he is getting is garbage... i had something similar on my iwill motherboard. it gave me 3 possibly real temp readings.
the highest was obviously the cpu, but the other two were similar... either could be the mobo temp... until one day the room temp got above 25C or so. one of the readings kept going up (the real one) but the other stopped at 23C... obviously a fake reading. garbage.

August 15, 2002 1:52:32 AM

Yep it was the outside temp, not the room (thank god) I think the 23 C inside case temp was probably close to reasonable, although every once in a while I do notice the board will report a messed up reading (IE from 20 - 27 - 20 within 3 seconds)

- Matt

!