painless celery upgrade for a friend

mrfixitva

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2002
a friend of mine has an old time compaq internet pc, celeron 466, with an intel 810 chipset, pga370. i read in an old "How To" article here how some of the new coppermine PIII's and celerons may/may not be compatible with older socket 370 mb's, due to pinouts, and voltage isues. how will i know, without buying a new processor and praying it works? thanks
d

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Most, if not all, i810 boards would support both. In fact, it probably even supports a 133MHz CPU bus. Just to play it safe, I'd say get a PIII 850 for it.

<font color=blue>By now you're probably wishing you had asked more questions first!</font color=blue>

Dinski

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2002
It depends on what your mobo is. As Crashman said, most of the mobost with i810 don't support newer CPUs. However, I know for sure, that ZIDA has 2 or three i810 mobos with FCPGA.

<font color=orange>ÃÎËßÌ ÇÀËÚÊ ËÀÏÍÈ, ÃÎËßÌÀ ÙÀÍÃÀ ÂÄÈÃÍÈ!</font color=orange>

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ummm... I'd be careful. I've got an Abit i810 mobo that only supports the older Celerons, but not the CuMine. You really need to either get the specs from Compaq, which is difficult or else find someone with your exact model who has done it and knows for sure. You might check on the old Deja News discussion forum. (I think it's been renamed, but just type in www.dejanews.com and it'll redirect you)

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!