Sign in with
Your question

Nice articles about RAM on aceshardware

Last response: in CPUs
August 10, 2002 8:46:43 PM

http://www.aceshardware.com/read.jsp?id=50000275

comments please

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Xcom_Cheetah on 08/10/02 04:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
August 10, 2002 10:41:15 PM

Interesting artical. But intel isn't dropping Rdram. Rdram gives way too much performance, even DDR-400 can't beat out 1066rdram in all benchmarks. I expect to see new chipsets for both rdram and ddr to continue even when intel comes out with the 666mhz FSB we'll have 1333rdram for it.
August 11, 2002 7:45:18 PM

How can u be so sure that intel is not dropping RDRAM ... everyone else believes that i850E is the last of the RDRAM chipset from intel...
so do u have any source or it is just a guess.?
Related resources
August 11, 2002 8:46:40 PM

It all started a while back when that chinese dude or what ever said intel was dropping rdram, but then it was made clear later that intel wasn't dropping rdram. Guess some refuse to beleive it.
August 12, 2002 5:57:08 AM

As far as i remember intel said that the RDRAM will remain in the performance sector till the end of 2002... IMHO it implies in 2003 dual channel will take over and RDRAM will be dropped... secondly so far there is not even a single rumour abt any RDRAM chipset being developed by intel.. atleast i haven't heard.. so if intel was developing a chipset we must have atleast heard some info by now abt it..
August 12, 2002 6:11:52 AM

there r two interesting point in the article which nobody yet pointed out..

Quote:

Intel has stopped developing chipset for RDRAM technology, and has focused most of it's chipset engineering resources on DDR SDRAM and DDR-II. The result is that the current i845E chipset is more advanced than the i850E chipset.

First of all, the i845E supports 24 open memory pages, the i850 only 8. One double sided DDR SDRAM has at most 8 banks, and the i845E supports two double sided DIMMs. So in practice the i845E can keep up to 16 pages open, twice as much as the i850(E).

The i845E chipset has also 12 level deep in order queue (IOQ, a chipset buffer) so it is capable to send up to 12 consecutive 64 bit reads to the CPU. The i850E chipset supports only an 8 level deep IOQ.
Thirdly, the i845E refresh is also more dynamic. As you know DRAM cells have a very small capacitor. Those very small capacitors leak current so they have to be refreshed from time to time (about every 64 ms). Intel's flexible memory refresh is able to postpone the refresh of open pages if data is requested from that page. This way, the i845E is able to eliminate an extra latency that can occur from time to time.

Quote:

The current PC1066 RDRAM can reach - with the proper clock generators - PC1333 (667 MHz) speeds, so Samsung and Elpida have announced that they are studying PC1333 RDRAM and even 800 MHz or PC1600

Quote:

Rambus has already developed a new technology with codename "Yellowstone", with products expected in a few years. At first this technology should reach 400 MHz, and use octal data rate, and therefore could be called 3.2 GHz memory. At first, this memory technology should be able to deliver at least 12.4 GB/s. But the initial market of this technology will be the graphics markt. With a 128 bit interface (which is almost low end now in the graphics market) Rambus promises up to 100 GB/s of bandwidth. At this point this technology limits to prototype demos and marketing promises, but it must be said that no known memory technology has such an impressive roadmap.

will this 100 GB/s Bandwidth will become a reality in PCs by say 2006-07..??
and will intel support YellowStone technology..??
August 12, 2002 10:02:22 PM

DC DDR will be nice, but I don't see it out performing DC 1066rdram. Also intel is still going to verify 1066rdram.

the DC ddr chipset will be nice but will it out perform 1066rdram DC, hell no. And with more traces I don't see DC ddr being as overclockable.

Right now Rdram is the overclockers choice for the P4.
And intel has made no statement that they are dropping rdram support. It would be a dumb move since it offers best performance. Dualchannel will come close, but not beat it out.
August 13, 2002 3:07:56 AM

Technically speaking, with all logical physics still sanely normal, DC DDR WOULD beat PC1066. First off, DDR has lower latency, and PC2100 DC also does 4.2GB/sec, so with lower latency, it DOES outperform it. I won't say you're wrong though, because it only depends on and if SiS does the chipset very well, giving their past excellent P4 chipsets almost outperforming PC1066 sometimes with much lower bandwidth. I have faith SiS will pull a PC1066 canner.

--
Is the opportunity to earn money by working, free?
August 13, 2002 3:40:00 AM

I don't trust non intel chipsets, due to compatability issues. Which I never had since I always stuck with intel chipsets.

If intels ddr chipset can offer better performance than 1066 850E setup, then it will be worth upgrading to it.

The only concern I have is it's overclockability, ddr is harder to overclock the FSB vs Rdram due to signal stability and so many traces. Only time will tell.
August 13, 2002 3:45:23 AM

Hmm I think Crashman would tell you how much SiS chipsets are really worth, for the P4, and for the company itself who is honest and trusty.

--
Is the opportunity to earn money by working, free?
!