NEVER buy an IBM 75GXP Hard Drive

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Hard Drives
  • Cable
  • IBM
Last response: in CPUs
August 11, 2002 12:20:43 AM

Okay, so I was fiddling around with the hard drive Matisaro sent me. A 46.1Gb IBM Deskstar 75GXP. Now, after the trouble, it works, but i'm still pissed off...

*trouble*

earlier tonight, we were talking over the phone, trying to get the bitch to work, realizing I did the dumb mistake of plugging the IDE cable in backwards, essentially reading from the motherboard, and the HDD being the master. Big mistake. Fixed the problem by flipping the cable, then made another problem. Accidently flipped the floppy power cable. *startup* *FIRE!!!* so, afterwards, I found my floppy dead, and my Antec 430 watt truepower partially damaged, but workable.

*end of trouble*

point being, don't waste the time dealing with a [-peep-] 75GXP...it isn't worth it

I need my Hammer now to bash some newbies

More about : buy ibm 75gxp hard drive

August 11, 2002 1:13:12 AM

I am sorry but from what I can see the drive was not to blame :/  and IBM have had enough bad press in recent times when it comes to Hard discs

Tim

I can call you Betty, and Betty when you call me... You can call me Al
Related resources
August 11, 2002 1:33:07 AM

The hard drive still doesn't work by the way

August 11, 2002 1:45:40 AM

I can open it in Windows, but I can't format it without freezing up. Every time I Fdisk it or use IBM's own format software, it restarts my computer. My computer works fine with my 40Gb Maxtor.

August 11, 2002 2:00:47 AM

What, get Wingding to soil it or something?

Realistically, Mat suggested I RMA it for a 60Gb 120GXP, which is miles ahead of the 75GXP.

August 11, 2002 2:31:23 AM

Haha what a newb. Dumb mistake.
August 11, 2002 3:16:57 AM

Ok I can see how you could get an IDE cable backwards, and I can see how you could get it flipped, but how in the world did you flip a power connector. You would have to do a heck of lot of forcing to make a molex connector fit upside down.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>
August 11, 2002 8:19:12 AM

Quote:
The hard drive still doesn't work by the way

It does to man, you had the same issue with your 20 gig hdd as well I was on the phone at the time!

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:
August 11, 2002 8:21:02 AM

Quote:
What, get Wingding to soil it or something?

Realistically, Mat suggested I RMA it for a 60Gb 120GXP, which is miles ahead of the 75GXP.

Heres what I see, you put the drive in, you get random reboots, you put another drive on the same cable/connector, and got a worse random reboot.

The drive is not the issue, formatting the drive probably aggrivates whatever issue is present, there is no reason to rma the drive as it is working properly!

August 11, 2002 8:25:54 AM

quez, honestly dude, dont blame the hdd!

It works perfectly, something else is the issue!

I send quez the drive, he emails me and says it dosent work, I talk to him on the phone and diagnose the issue(backwards ide cable).

He fixxes cable, but inadvertantly(via the floppy) causes a fire lol! No damage to hdd or mobo, only a melted floppy wire and dead floppy drive, I continue to troubleshoot.

He tries the hdd on his raid controler, works but gets random reboot, I tell him to try ide 4, he does and the drive is working properly, still full of pirated movies like I sent it, all is well.

He places a 20 gig hdd on the same cable(after removing the 45 gig hdd) and gets the random reboot issue again with the 20 gig.

Clearly it is something other than the hdd, I get the impression he is thinking of sending me back the hdd, I would take it, im not mean, but honestly the hdd is working fine!

Moral of the story, we had an interesting day, but please dont blame the hdd(and by extension me) for something it did not, nay, could not have caused.

August 11, 2002 8:26:59 AM

Quote:
true...but whos to sya they'll give u a 60GB 120GXP ?

PS: most 45 gig ibm 75gxp rmas come back as 60 gig 60gxps or 60gig 120 gxps, the reason being the 45 gig 75gxp is out of production.

August 11, 2002 12:12:01 PM

Well, after we were done talking, I took out my Maxtor again, and popped in the IBM 75GXP on IDE 1, and tried formatting it. Same odd restarts. Maybe it is just the raid controller on my motherboard. Not sure anymore.

August 11, 2002 12:13:11 PM

Uhm, the floppy cable isn't a molx, it's one of those 3 pin dongle thingies, my floppy must've been a cheapie model, without notches to guide it. So, in the end, I plugged it in backwards, shorting the thing out. The fire scared the hell out of me.

August 11, 2002 3:57:08 PM

Sorry to have doubted you. I completely forgot about those connectors. I've been using the same floppy drive for 12 years which is a dual 3.5 & 3.25 and has a molex connector. The connector on 3.5 floppies completely slipped my mind. Once again, sorry.

Actually, now that you mention it, I did install the power cable upside down once on a 3.5. Fortunately for me it was also offset by one pin as well so no pyrotechnics.

I'll remember your lesson.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>
August 11, 2002 4:00:17 PM

Well, I made a mistake, and luckily didn't fry my whole Athlon system. Anyway though...yes, the stupid thing, after closer inspection had no guide rails for the power connector. All my other drives had the one way Molex plugs, which I never messed up (as of yet)

August 11, 2002 4:10:47 PM

I was having similar fdisk and formatting problem some time ago with my 6GB seagate. I partitioned and formatted it using my Redhat Linux installation CD. Its an M$ software problem if you ask me.

<b><font color=red>I'm a bomb technician. If you see me running, try to keep up.</font color=red></b>
August 11, 2002 6:14:26 PM

hehe, i kind of find it funny, I have 2 IBM GXP 120's and they've worked perfectly (one 60 and one 80 gig) So far i've never had a real problem with any of the IBM drives i've gotten, although i've never touched the 75 series

"What kind of idiot are you?"
"I don't know, what kinds are there?"
August 11, 2002 11:48:46 PM

Quote:
Well, after we were done talking, I took out my Maxtor again, and popped in the IBM 75GXP on IDE 1, and tried formatting it. Same odd restarts. Maybe it is just the raid controller on my motherboard. Not sure anymore.

What I am saying is you had the same issue while I was on the phone while the 45 gig hdd was not even attached, ergo it is NOT a hdd issue.

Thats all.

!