markgun

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
I had my old Thunderbird (1.2GHz) running in an MSI KT3 Ultra for about a month mildly overclocked (1.36GHz), then I loaded the performance defaults and my system wouldn't post. I tried clearing the CMOS and still nothing. And there's an LED arrangement on the back panel that lights up in certain patterns to diagnose a problem, and sure enough four red lights were illuminated which supposedly means it's a cpu that isn't seated correctly or a damaged one. I'm assuming that it's damaged. But.. what are the chances of that frying it? It normally ran at 44C under load and 40C idle while it was overclocked. Oh well, I guess I'll try RMAing it cause it was a retail box w/ a 3 year warranty. I bought it in May of 2001 and used to run it at 1.42GHz on an AMD761 chipset w/ the performance defaults on. I guess the MSI board was too much for it.

slickstaa

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
i imagine your tbird is a 100fsb version and when you loaded the performance defaults, the fsb got set to 133.

sorry to hear it man.

<font color=blue> If it ain't broke, don't fix it...tweak it.</font color=blue>

markgun

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
It's a 133MHz FSB T-bird.. well it was.. and it was running great with a lowered 8X multiplier(factory unlocked) and a 170MHz FSB at 1.775V for a good month or so. It's just when I loaded those performance defaults. It's kind of odd, cause I just ordered an AXP CPU to replace it a few hours before it died. Hopefully it didn't kill my RAM or anything. It's old Crucial PC2100 but it overclocks extremely well (170MHz CL2 w/ 2.7V). Oh well.. at least i got to use the LED diagnostic tool that came with my mobo.

markgun

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
WOO! Nevermind. It works fine now. I just had to unplug the power supply then clear the CMOS. Is that normal? Cause I've never had to do that before with other motherboards. I don't care, my system is back!

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Well, ive never heard of ppl. disconnecting the conector on the MB for the PSU to clear the CMOS....or shall i say disconnect it and than reset the CMOS.......resettign the CMOS via. jumper does the exact same thing......

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
It usually works as you say but if a system is on stand-by, moving the jumper won't clear CMOS. Also slight trickle power can keep the CMOS alive as well. It's best to disconnect or manually switchoff main power.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
That's true but if you don't kill main power a small trickle can still keep CMOS alive even with the battery removed (for a short time). Eventually it will clear but if you disconnect main power first it only takes seconds to clear CMOS.

As for stand-by I learned the hard way. Forgetting that I had put my system to sleep (suspend to RAM option), I once started moving PCI cards in my system. As I did this my system "woke up". No damage but it scared the crap out me.

I later learned (and should have guessed) that in suspend mode a small amount of power is still supplied to the motherboard. My motherboard, at the time an Abit KT7, didn't have an onboard LED. It looked completely dead in sleep mode.

So I learned not to trust if a machine looks off. Pull the plug before opening the case.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Yea i agree with that...ive seen that especially on older Sokcet 7 boards...and some OEM boards like IBM and stuff like that....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
Not just older/oem boards. For example the asus p4t-e does not have a cmos jumper.......pretty sure it doesnt, correct me if Im wrong.

This sig runs too hot.

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Well im not familair witht hat board in all honesty....i was just going by what ive seen in my experience

Hoolio

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
I bought an Asus board that had the jumper soldered shut, you had to un solder it to reset the cmos, BTW I removed a bios battery and remove mains power, left it for 24 hours because I had to go to work, came back from work and booted the system. Guess what, the bios had not cleared????

I replaced the battery and booted and the cmos cleared...figure that.....

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
cant say ive ever heard of this in my lifetime.......

odd indeed.......

thanx 4 diggin' up an old post BTW... =)