Sign in with
Your question

AMD's Hammer cpu's " will make it or not "

Last response: in CPUs
August 11, 2002 4:16:19 AM

Hi to everyone on the post. I'm a big AMD fan ( I had k6-2, k6-2+, duron, thunderbird 1.0 and 1.4) and the upcoming release of the hammer cpu's is kind of scaring me :-(. If i'm thinking right IA-32 - IA-64 implaments will hender the chip proformence. Begining the fanboy :-) i am i don't want to move over to intels highly priced processors which don't have high IPC and needed the use of RDram to keep up with the thunderbird :-D. I think amd is going to hit hard times with no third party chipset maker working with them ( I mean would VIA tec make a 64-bit chip for a chipset? ). Just want to hear your opinions on the hammer lauch and sells. By the way would the 64-bit color of the newer graphics benafit fomthe 64 bit artchitec of the up-coming hammer.

More about : amd hammer cpu make

August 11, 2002 4:51:13 AM

Damn fanboys. Anyway, to give you some information and hopefully crack that thick head of yours, Via already has a broad array of chipsets ready for Hammer. ALi and SiS has a lineup already.
The single processor Hammer will provide higher 32-bit performance (both by added scalability as well as higher IPC). The Hammer will also be a workstation/server processor design and the 64-bit will help significantly in that area.

The "bitness" of a CPU has nothing to do with the color precision of graphics cards. And btw, the upcomming graphics cards (R300 and NV30) all use 96-bit and 128-bit floating point precision, respectively.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by imgod2u on 08/10/02 09:54 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
August 11, 2002 6:28:21 AM

Watch it..LED will get upset at u for Flaming him.....

As far as hammer goes...everythign is speculation...and there has NEVER been any talk as far as ive seen about Hamemr having hindered performance......its virtually unreal to think of that...........

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>
Related resources
August 11, 2002 7:56:22 AM

oh???.... I didn't know that via has chipsets ready for the hammer. I need to read somemore. thank you for telling me that. So the new r300 and nv 30 will 128 bit floating points? what is that? and i know that that is good so I'm happy :-) oh and sorry for begining a fanboy. I never had a problem with amd and i have the money to afford a thunderbird and athlon xp chip but not the pent 4 2.0 ( i think it's 300 dollars or somehting like that ). cool though I hope more people reply I'm learning :-D

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by blackgamer3d on 08/11/02 04:00 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
August 11, 2002 11:28:29 AM

Quote:

grow up.. LED hasnr even posted on this thread. you are just proving yourself to be a real lame ass troll by trying to bait him like that..
have a nice day

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.
August 11, 2002 2:42:34 PM

Quote:

LOL

This sig runs too hot.
August 11, 2002 2:47:46 PM

Pretty misinformed eh? Go to Newegg to check prices, and theres plenty of articles on Hammers, and every other piece of hardware out there.

Looks like one of Edens posts from a few months ago (1-1?)

This sig runs too hot.
August 11, 2002 3:45:04 PM

LED...i was only kidding with u.....this thread just reminded me of the the other thread......becasue 'imgod2u' said some pretty nasty things tot he original poster.....heh

and rcj187......dont tell me to grow up....i was kidding, im pretty sure LED knew it too.....as far as me beign a troll hardly.......maybe u should coem back and tell me these things when YOU are more respected, known, and been here as long as me or half the other people here....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>
August 11, 2002 6:32:47 PM

I've learned in the past that as long as my posts aren't anti-AMD (in any shape or form) no flaming will commence. Strange huh?

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.
August 11, 2002 7:03:36 PM

If you're not pro AMD, you're a minority in Tech forums. Without mentioning names, when I first came to these forums I was suprised by all the misinformation floating around. Things like "rdram isnt as good as sdram" was a good one. Then there was the "t-bred will be 3000+". Check the polls out at some of the other sites, and you will see who dominates the readership of these tech related sites. The other day someone got flamed for picking Intel over AMD. He was confused about his Mobo's supporting bus speed.....and then was accused of being "too stupid" to figure it out. Probably a good kid, didnt know any better though.....Came back, still confused mind you, and said thanks anyway.

This sig runs too hot.
August 11, 2002 7:12:50 PM

Quote:
maybe u should coem back and tell me these things when YOU are more respected, known, and been here as long as me or half the other people here....

hey i was here long before u... not feeling the need to post everyday isnt the same as not being here... besides if u were being sarcastic as i now assume u were it doesnt work too well with text..

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.
August 11, 2002 7:28:16 PM

This place is gonna explode soon.

This sig runs too hot.
August 11, 2002 8:57:10 PM

"If you're not pro AMD, you're a minority in Tech forums"

lol.... so? like being minority is bad... im not agains AMD, but what if im neutral? am i still minority? do you have to be PRO AMD? if i use intel, can i still be PRO AMD? LED, i dont know you face to face, but i believe you have good computer knowledge, but that comment was not exaclty right. first of all, i dont use AMD, i use intel. Im not against AMD and its processors but i dont PRO it either. i just buy whatever offers me most performance. there are lots of ppl in here that would buy an intel b4 an amd, and not saying this cuz i own an intel, but because ive seen it, look it urself, so are we really minority. and whats wrong with being minority? we arent weaker, we arent dumber. you are just separating ppl into different groups, and thats something one shouldnt do. "omg you have intel, so u are pro intel" "oh you use amd, so u are pro amd" its not about what WE choose. its about what companies offer to us that makes us choose what we choose.

real philosophy of life: "do onto others what you dont want them do onto you"
August 11, 2002 8:57:40 PM

Please dig up the post where I sounded like blackgamer3d.

To Blackgamer3d, if you would like some hardcore teachings on CPUs, flock over to <A HREF="http://www.arstechnica.com" target="_new">http://www.arstechnica.com&lt;/A>.
They've got it all, the smallest bits of information for a CPU architecture, that'll make you excited deep down!
Also do a search on AMD Hammer, you will find many websites. However there is a limit to how much they know, and some will just make up lies about its speccs. We got an AMD contact here, texas_techie, he gets info from his fellow workers at SunnyVale, so he tells us some things, whether good or bad about Hammer.
However don't get overhyped about it, because it might disappoint you. Right now, ClawHammer itself has been getting bad news about its performance, so to me, I will not even think about it, nor Prescott, until samples are sent to THG and hardware websites, because otherwise anyone could be disappointed just because Hammer didn't turn out what it seemed, or Prescott.

LED btw I can see you've established your own rep here as Intel-biased so I suggest you don't go unleash at Mat when you too are guilty of conscience.

To imgod2u, are you saying you are a bit Intel-biased? I wouldn't be too surprised however, you often posed arguments in favor of them, even for the PIII against Athlon's FPU power.

--
You are about to witness crazy, mindless, eye-gagging, naive programming, welcome to FOX!
August 11, 2002 11:34:27 PM

Quote:
LED btw I can see you've established your own rep here as Intel-biased so I suggest you don't go unleash at Mat when you too are guilty of conscience.

LED is making it a point to try and knock me down a notch, so far he has a loyal following of stranger/newbies who agree lol.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:
August 12, 2002 12:32:39 AM

Quote:
To imgod2u, are you saying you are a bit Intel-biased? I wouldn't be too surprised however, you often posed arguments in favor of them, even for the PIII against Athlon's FPU power.

As far as the two companies, I really don't have preference towards one or another. They're both greedy corporations run by a board of directors each of which I'm sure is an a-hole in and of himself.
As far as the fanboy crowd however, I think I'm more annoyed at AMD fanboys. Simply because there are more of them and they're usually louder (or troll through more posts). I've been pissed off more than once by some Intel fanboys as well and I don't hold back on correcting any BS they have, however, I usually don't run into those cases very often.
As for arguements of processors vs eachother, I've always given (to the best of my knowledge) correct information. If that happens to be in favor of whichever CPU then so be it. You'll find that many things I do list are often in distaste for some of Intel's efforts in terms of architecture.

And to that, I'd suggest an end to this thread as the question asked has been answered.

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.
August 12, 2002 12:40:35 AM

Quote:
As far as the fanboy crowd however, I think I'm more annoyed at AMD fanboys. Simply because there are more of them and they're usually louder (or troll through more posts).

Not on this site for some reason, the worst trolls here are all intel fanboys(meltdown, fugger, intelinside etc).

But on other forums I agree with you.

August 12, 2002 1:01:55 AM

Bud.....i've been here 7 months longer than u....thats just in registration......ive been here almsot as long as Matisaro.....i lingered and read posts here for more than a year b4 i decided to become an offical part of the community....but none the less....ive been here longer.....liek i originally stated.....no need for us to hate each other now.....

as far as sarcasm goes...ur right it doesnt work with text...and i wasnt trying to be sarcastic either....BTW dont take anythign i say personally either.....

August 12, 2002 1:55:40 AM

Holy [-peep-], sorry for asking a question and getting people up thight. I mean i just wanted to know the opinions and thoughts of others about the AMD hammer cpu. I havn't been here long ( just discover tomshardware about a year or two ago and this is my second post { new subject } on toms site ). Thank you eden for the link :-) I'm going to read that after I finish this. Man and some of ya'll need to go outside when it's raining to cool off ya'll heads man to upthight. thank you and peace
August 12, 2002 2:15:51 AM

In ADD you need much more lemming to beat a troll

The day i meet a goth queen that tell me Intel suck.I turn in a lemming to fill is need in hardware.
August 12, 2002 2:35:48 AM

naahh u are straight, these people just like to fight...

real philosophy of life: "do onto others what you dont want them do onto you"
August 12, 2002 2:38:52 AM

Quote:
Bud.....i've been here 7 months longer than u....thats just in registration......ive been here almsot as long as Matisaro.....i lingered and read posts here for more than a year b4 i decided to become an offical part of the community....but none the less....ive been here longer.....liek i originally stated.....no need for us to hate each other now.....

Ive been here for almost a year and a half+4 months lurking.

August 12, 2002 3:23:05 AM

Oh wait, I may have not told you the link to go for to read all the things about CPUs. You click on the left link saying CPU Theory and Praxis. It has a lot of explanation articles with architectural comparisons. What I like of Ars, is the fact they explain many times one thing, and give examples. There's even Richard Simmons in some of the examples, lol! And a-one, and a-two, and a-three, good girl!

--
You are about to witness crazy, mindless, eye-gagging, naive programming, welcome to FOX!
August 12, 2002 3:25:29 AM

Another thing, the reason why you were jumped at is probably due to the fact we decided to put a post in every forum stating to search before posting, and since it didn't seem you read the warning and posted often asked Qs, it might have been the reason why some got ticked. I do recommend you search before you ask, chances are these questions were the hot topic a few weeks ago.
Usually I do this before creating new topics that MIGHT have arisen. Since I hang out here almost every day, almost 4-5 times a day, I don't often need to search however, because I know the threads and the past ones by heart almost!

--
August 12, 2002 4:50:02 AM

Darn, looks like I missed all the fun. =)

Knowledge is the key to understanding
August 12, 2002 5:49:00 AM

Thanks Eden :-). I was looking all over the site for hammer articles and then i went to search and it brought up a good one that was talking abit 128-bit interface that can support 128 gigs of ram ( now if that is true I think intel is about to have a dog sniping at their heels :-)). When i read that i jumped higher then MJ with a match under foot. Is that true? here's the link http://arstechnica.com/wankerdesk/01q4/hammer/hammer.ht...
And sorry for not reading the other topics before i asked my question. I know that pissed some people off :-(. well I'm off to read again. I still can't wait for the clawhammer release :-) hehehehe. Peace
!