Asus i7 2nd gen notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexus_nexion

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
So, Asus. Are there laptops lately released that impressive? and for it's price? I couldn't find any statistics at all. Anyone know how exactly capable is their new laptops?

shadamus

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010

Depends what you're planning to use it for. I'm using the one in my signature line as a development workstation and VMWare host, and couldn't be happier... But I don't game at all, so I may not be the right guy to talk to if your usage will be very different from mine.

shadamus

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010

Given that, I think you would be very happy with the ASUS Sandy Bridge machines. The GT540M is supposed to be a decent mid-range laptop GPU, but I've never played anything more taxing than flash games on it so I don't know where it would start bogging down.

I can't say how the ASUS products compare to the Clevo-based offerings (Sager, XoticPc, Malibal, CyberPower, etc...), in terms of build-quality since I've never played with any of them in person, but my ASUS N53sv seems solid.

The Clevo-based resellers do offer the advantage of flexibility in configuration (some let you get unit with NO OS and/or No HDD, and most don't charge outrageous amounts for extra memory), which may be a deciding factor for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.