motofan

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2002
News shows that AMD will launch its new "333MHz" FSB AthlonXP 2400+/2600+ in this month.
I plan to change my PC soon. I wanna know is it worth waiting? How long will I wait for the price going down to the level of around today's AthlonXP 2000+ ?
plus: How about Hammer then?
thanx!

God's in His Heaven
All's Right with The World!

eden

Champion
If the XP2600 comes out with 333MHZ FSB, then chances are it will have a very nice competition against the 2.66GHZ by Intel, if not the 2.53GHZ. With its price as well, it should be able to directly compete September's prices, since the 2.66GHZ will initially launch with the 2.8GHZ, therefore take the place of regular Intel mid-range pricing processors, so around 355-400$.
I do hope things turn out this way for both AMD and Intel because it's a win-win for both.

--
You are about to witness crazy, mindless, eye-gagging, naive programming, welcome to FOX!

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
I would think that supporting mobo's and chipsets would surface before actual 333 Bartons do. Whats the market gonna do w/ CPUs that dont have supporting chipsets? Mobos pop up before the CPUs.....theres even Hammer mobos out there.

To get the higher PR # they have to up the bus, because upping the clock speed is a far reach w/ the state of this core. W/ that higher bus, and more cache, it should be a good performer........but when?

This sig runs too hot.

eden

Champion
That's the point of my post, to reply to the statement that it COULD come out this month or the next, in direct competition to the 2.66GHZ or 2.53GHZ.
AMD can't compete further than that, it is obvious, but at least the next affordable high performance processor should still allow them to be in the race and at least still be heard that they are there in the market, until they go Hammer.

--
You are about to witness crazy, mindless, eye-gagging, naive programming, welcome to FOX!

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
no they will still be beat be most of the P4

The day i meet a goth queen that tell me Intel suck.I turn in a lemming to fill is need in hardware.

jedge78

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2002
can't the average kt333 mobo support a chip with a fsb of 333 ie the barton or is it only the memory that is capable of running at 333mhz?

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
There's no need for new chipsets or mobo's. Many boards already support 166MHz FSB, hell some 200 or more. All you'll need is a simple BIOS flash as many boards did for the XP 2200+ when it came out. Also I don't think we'll see 2600+ first, AMD has planned a 2400+ first and it's not clear if it will have any FSB increase. WE'll know when it's released I suppose, and it's not gonna be this month. All AMD roadmaps point that a 2400+ will come early on Q3, so look for it in Sept.

"Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one"

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well SOME of them do... depends on the quality of the board really... some of the cheaper brands just wont work at 166fsb, but i believe the main brands do (epox, msi, soyo, abit asus etc)
there will have to be changes though, no current boards are CERTIFIED for 166fsb operation as yet.

<b>Before visiting THG i was a clueless noob. Now im still clueless, but look at my nice title!<b>

Siddhartha

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
Top of the line AMD chips cost around $300-$350 when they are first released. Figure it will take six to eight months after it is released before the price goes down to around $140.

"Just the facts ma'am"

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
Due to the lack of support (AMD is not going to release a 333 chip that isnt fully supported w/ a new chipset, or tweaks to the current ones) I dont think we'll be seeing these until Oct, maybe even Nov. Or lets say a month after you see chipset/mobo hardware. They will at least have it out by the holidays........I think that's their goal.

This sig runs too hot.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
I'm guessing Barton will have a 166MHz FSB. That'll make up for the 500 point PR increase too.

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Cheat support on overclocking

That why office dont use amd platform

The day i meet a goth queen that tell me Intel suck.I turn in a lemming to fill is need in hardware.

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
I think we're all asuming that now.....the question is when? W/ the core at its end, that's the only thing they could do.....Up the bus, and new chipsets for the Barton. I don't know if it's particularly cost effective.....it's all just speculation. But to fill the "dead spot" between the T-bred, and Hammer, it would be good to get the Barton out soon. I predicted nothing released at all in between 2200+ - 2400+ AXPs, and initial hammer releases.......That was a few months ago. I hope I eat those words, cause this aint lookin good for AMD right now. What's the benefits of owning an AMD over Intel? There will be a period where they don't have Price performance, and amongst overclockers, theyve lost that a while ago.

This sig runs too hot.

eden

Champion
Dude, the core is most definitly NOT at the end of its life. AMD has 2.2GHZ cores out there, people are OCing using LN2 to 2.6GHZ. Unless someone can provide me with proof that the 10-stage K7 at 2.5GHZ, is the limit and that a P4 with 20 stages will go 4 times further.
The K8 core is also an updated version of the K7 so that itself proves that it is not at the end. If AMD can add 512K L2 and 333MHZ FSB, it's because the chips can somewhat stand the heat and go further. I am sure you can get 0.09m AthlonXPs and they could scale beyond 2.8GHZ, so no, it is NOT at the end. It has been said SO many times, with Raystonn against Matisaro and the beyond, and yet most have been proven WRONG. Current Tbreds do not OC well because of a core design problem. If it is at the end, then how the hell is Barton adding more core components and scaling?

Price performance my friend, believe it or not, will remain AMD's strengh forever. Never have I seen an Intel chip on the same level of performance against an AMD one being below cost. When you see P4 1.6GHZ below AXP 1600+ pricing, and move on to the XP1800 and further ones, you will notice Intel is far from ever doing so.

--
Is the opportunity to earn money by working, free?

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
As Intel Increases it's performance lead, AMD will be competing w/ Intels lower clocked chips. If 3ghz hits before next AMD release, then you will see 2.2's, 2.4's priced exceptionally low, and competing w/ AMDs best. As of right now.....as I stated in the previous post, w/ OC'ing Intel has price/performance. 1.8a's are cheap.....people also forget to factor out the price of the stock heatsink. What do you think that HS&F would cost aftermarket?

This sig runs too hot.

eden

Champion
Yes but currently the 3.06GHZ is expected at the end of year, and Prescott seems to be pushed to 2H 03. So even if Intel rushes, that would be trying to gain monopolistic figures, remember.
I also said price/performance for STOCK SPEED. Of course OC is Intel for sure.

--
Is the opportunity to earn money by working, free?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Dude, I have a 4 year old Intel board that can support a 166MHz FSB. Fact is, the KT266, ALi MAGiK 1, SiS 735, KT266A, and SiS 745 ALL support a 166MHz FSB, on performance boards. You don't need the KT333 to overclock, VIA just wants you to THINK you do. None of those chipsets support it natively though.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
Dude, I have a 4 year old Intel board that can support a 166MHz FSB. Fact is, the KT266, ALi MAGiK 1, SiS 735, KT266A, and SiS 745 ALL support a 166MHz FSB, on performance boards.
I believe that on these boards you're talking about, the 166 FSB is achieved at the expense of overclocking the PCI and AGP buses. Putting these buses out of spec is not permissible for a new CPU release and AMD cannot release a 166 FSB CPU unless motherboards support it properly. But I think the KT333 does support the 1/5 and 2/5 dividers.

Ritesh

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The Iwill XP333 uses the MAGiK 1 and has 1/5 and 1/6 PCI dividers. The Leadtek Winfast 7350KDA has the SiS 735 and at least has 1/5 PCI dividers. Those boards are about a year old. Now about the overclocked PCI bus on other systems:

I have seen very few cards that wouldn't run at 41MHz PCI. IN fact, my system has a SCSI card, two network cards, and a high end soundcard, and runs the PCI bus at 45MHz! See the details at ftp://141.209.46.238 and check out 1307b.bmp

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>