Help, Mayday

x41979

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2002
Well, i had an internship so i shipped my built computer FedEx,everything was fine, so then i ship it back UPS and insure it and all but it comes back obviously have gone through a fall, i packed it really well, and the heatsink basically fell off and was like a recking ball, strangely though i cant seem to find damage except on the corner of the processor it seems ever so slightly nicked. I turn it on now and everything spins up but nothing happens, no POST beeps or anything, andthhe CPU still gets hot so its doing something, the motherboard is giving power to the little LED's and the other cards but the GeForce doesn't even flicker anything on the screen. I have it insured but in order to fix it i needto figure out what wasbroken. Does anyone thinkthis is just a CPU, or maybe only the MB?

thanks
shaun

x41979

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2002
roger, i'm calling tommorow about that, but its a 100$ deductable and i don't know how i'm going to prove this, maybe they'll be trusting, but this has seriously ticked meoff, i marked it fragile all over the place

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
last year this practically same thing happened to me (i sold an old comp to someone here via UPS, but it was the PSU that was the recking ball). if you got some extra parts laying around, just swap em out. actually though, you might as well take it to a shop and get what they checked and the problem on a print out, you'll need to send it off to UPS so they can see in b&w what's wrong. i know this from experience, UPS isn't going to take your word for it about what's broke and needs to be fixed/repaired.

edit: just so you know too. this isn't something that'll happen in a few days. no matter how wrong UPS is, they'll try to deny any responsibility and drag it out as long as they can. it took me i think 3 months, closer to 4 to get the insurance that i SPECIFIED when i shipped it. they said it was "insufficient" packaging. BS, the weight specs that are printed right on the box showed it was fine. <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mbetea on 08/11/02 05:27 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

x41979

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2002
thanks for the advice, one problem though, i'm in the army and thus there aren't any CPU shops that i can take this to, that's why i'm not thinking that i'm ever going to see a dime for it....ineed this computer so i'm going to overnight a new XP2000+ but i'm worried that the MB is bad too but i have noway of testing that

shaun

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Do you know any discount dealers well? Leave the heatink in there loose like it was, and tell him to write a bill to fix the thing at full retail cost, then when he gets the job, tell him to get you a deal on the parts (tell him you don't have the $100 deductable).

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>