6 months from now???

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Here's my question.... upgrading 6mos is the theoretical timeline.

Gonna need a new mobo,cpu, and ram. Currently have a 1ghz t-bird @ 1.4 (140x10), Iwill KK266 mobo, and 256mb Mushkin PC133 sdram cas2.

Now without starting a flame war, please I beg you, I'm not partial to any company, and I don't want top of the line, something to last 1 - 1 1/2 yrs. If I was upgrading now I'd probably lean toward an Intel rig, but promising news on the horizon for AMD leads me to waiting.

But nevertheless my 140fsb sdram rig isn't going to do much in another year, and of course like alot of computer afficionados I like new tech. So give me your best scenarios for 6mos down the road.

Appreciate the help.

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."

I'm planning along the same lines. There's too much around the corner for me to consider upgrading at present.

I'm planning to get an AMD Hammer and a new mother board (Asus or Gigabyte) with all the nice bits such as USB2.0, serial ATA, AGP 8x, etc. I'll see what memory speeds are available and get the fastest possible in Crucial/Corsair or similar. And I'll get myself a good aluminium case with a quiet PSU (450w minimum). This time I'm trying to keep my system reasonably quiet.

I'll probably pick up an ATi 9700 Pro as soon as they're available, as this will keep my present system going strong until then.

:eek: Wingding - The Forum's Official Bottom Feeder :eek:

POPEGOLDX

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
I have a athlon XP 1700+ (1466@1.613 GHZ)
ECS k7s6a
512 Megs DDR 2100
G4- 4400

in 6 months i plan to go with

Hammer 3400+ (2GHZ @ 2.3 GHZ)
Abit or Asus board
1 GIG DDR-433
Geforce 5 or next Radeon

so if u mimic my future Rig... i think its safe 2 say we both will be kicking major ass!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by popegoldx on 08/12/02 09:53 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Forgot to mention, I might look at LCD monitors. Hopefully in 6 months they'll be more reasonably priced and offer better performance with a high-spec system. But I'd only go for a 17 or 18 inch LCD monitor, I want some decent screen size to play DOOM III on!

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Geh...LCD monitors are not optimal for gaming compared to CRT. The ghosting effect drives me insane.

True dumbass:
aha!! it has some kind of cuts, hehehe"
have you ever seen smoke from a seagate?

Yes, that's something I hope will improve sufficiently (remember we're talking 6 months from now). If not then I'll go with a 19" iiyama Vision Master 454 or whatever is the best 19" monitor available at that time.

Or if I win the lottery, I'll go for a 42" plasma TV.

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Thanks for the replies fellas, just curious here, but is there any news from Intel in 6 mos?? Or do they have nothing special on the horizon.

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
OOooo *drool* 42 inch plasma TV...goodness, that's overkill

In all seriousness, a nice 19 inch CRT would be...well, there's a few I like

Viewsonic E90
Optiquest Q95
Samsung Syncmaster 950s

I'm sorta doubting things will change (in terms of LCD quality) within 6 months.

True dumbass:

JPWRana

Distinguished
May 2, 2002
yeah, what about 52x external cd-rw's, or 6.1 sound cards, or klipsch promedia 6.1 speakers... Mmmmmmmmmmm... 6.1... droooooooll.

Or also cheaper color laser printers... i wonder what's in room in next 6 months for speakers anyways... im 2 lazy to check everyday in printers forum.

The greatest risk of all is not taking one!

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Geh...screw the 52x CD-RW, I need a 144x DVD-RW USB 3.0 now on an 8-way Athlon Sledgehammer with 16Gb of PC-2700 Cas 2 DDR.

6.1 sound card? I think they exist in some home entertainment systems, although i'm not sure. No such Klipschs though.

Color Laser Printers are always over a couple thousand...just because the technology isn't fully there yet.

True dumbass: