LancerEvolution7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
I recently bought and installed a Athlon XP 1700+. The vendor I bought it from(thompsons computer warehouse) put a sticker on the cpu displaying their name and part number or something. I did not take the sticker off fearing if the cpu was broken or something I would not be able to return it. Now my warrenty runs out in about a week. Should I take off the hsf and take off the sticker?

Also 2 questions about my heatsink, Volcano 6CU+

1)Does it come with a thermalpad or thermal grease, mine came with the white stuff but I see some sites say it comes with a thermal pad.

2)Has anybody tried to take that thing off? Is it suppose to be so tight? I tried to find the flattest flathead in the house, but little slot where I am supposed to put the screwdriver has no grip and my screwdriver keeps slipping. Now I have a mark in the motherboard. The thing is a B*tch to take off!!!!!

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
If this scenario is legit, I'd expect if you took the heatsink off there will be no more sticker anyways as it's probably already burnt off.

Should never be anything between your cpu and heatsink, except thermal paste, and a very very thin film of it at most.

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
uh... where IS the sticker?
if its over the raised square in the middle thats a big no no.
if its off to the side, and not obscuring the 4 round pads, then dont worry about it.

and be careful! scratching the motherboard can kill it!

<b>Before visiting THG i was a clueless noob. Now im still clueless, but look at my nice title!<b>