<rants>

What is it about performance? Gaining an extra 10% in benchmarks. Whipty doo ... upgrading every 3 months to gain that extra edge.

Think about all of your hard earned cash being wasted just to earn 10% more performance. Spend another 300 bucks on mobo, ram, and new amd chip. With my experience i only did that because the chipset was crap. From the MVP3 to kt133. The AMD 761 i didn't have a problem with that was mostly gigabytes POS board i am starting to believe. so everytime i go and fork up another 300 bucks. Cha-ching! Just because I wanted another 10% performance increase.

There were other factors too ... such as incompatible via chipsets and crappy designed boards and i wanted to help people own a computer themselves. But that only gave me an excuse to go ahead and gain that extra 10%!

Now i'm 24. I have a lot of work to do. I have a lot of things i want to do. I have this partnership for a business going on. And you know what? it has come to a point where i can't afford 300 bucks just for a 10% improvement and "bug" fixes. So i said, screw it fork up the extra cash, spend 500 instead of 300 for a different platform and hope it'll work better. Less excuses to upgrade the better your wallet is.

All in all i've spent over 1000 bucks in the past 3-4 years on upgrading my computer just for a 10% increase in performance. Mainly the mobo, cpu and ram. Back then i would have spent that much on a Intel system lol. But, would it have worked and saved me the frustrations?

The point of this ranting is, save your money. You're gonna need it when you hit 24! It's one thing to buy new parts because you need it for an application you wanna do, or because the computer can no longer function to meet your needs, but just for the sake of gaining 10% increase in performance. It's a waste of money. Unless you got money to burn. Like income tax return. Or, because you are rich and you whipe your butt with 20 dollar bills.

Not saying anything really. Just ranting of where all the money goes. Maybe this is an addiction of power. Always wanting the fastest thing ever just for power. Is it healthy? Is it healthy to want all the power for a cheap cost? Is power even necessary? Now is upgrading your computer necessary?

Just think that the money could be best spent elsewhere and i'm wondering if this "computer hardware hobby" is nothing more then another power hungry desease?

Oh trust me i'm completely guilty of this. Hence why i'm thinking and enlightening myself as to why i keep spending money on my computer.

I think it should be seriously looked into for pscyhological effects and long term problems. Such as social problems, problems interacting with other humans, problems with relationships, and whatnot.

There might be a link... or maybe not. Why do we upgrade again? And, what's the point? Maybe we should focus our income on other things. Like beer and pot and social events. Perhaps a better larger TV for football games and party invites. Bigger better grill to cook those huge steaks on ... *shrugs* ... more human interaction too would be nice along with saving some cash. Too much email and hiding behind a computer eh? maybe we should get out our pogo sticks and start a pogo game! Much cheaper then upgrading our computer every 3 months and you would have more fun playing pogo! whatever pogo is ... sounds like fun anyway ... but you still get the point ... dontchya?

</rants>

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by xxsk8er101xx on 08/12/02 02:27 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Another soul has left the darkness. Congradulation brother.

<b><font color=red>I'm a bomb technician. If you see me running, try to keep up.</font color=red></b>

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
I think it should be seriously looked into for pscyhological effects and long term problems. Such as social problems, problems interacting with other humans, problems with relationships, and whatnot.
The phase you're going through is often known as "growing up". Some people never do and happily waste big bucks even at age 50 upgrading their toys every few months for bragging rights. I have a friend who's 37 and is expecting delivery *today* of a mustard yellow Lotus Esprit, a couple years old. Although I don't know how much he paid for it, I'm sure it was well over 70K and he's not exactly rich. It's none of my business how he chooses to spend his money, but my point is that some people are forever obsessed with toys and bragging rights.

I'm 27 and I just made the decision a few months ago to not upgrade my computer until I catch up with the games that need it (I'm still playing old games). But my mentality as little as a year ago was that I must upgrade my machine every two years at a minimum to keep up with my friends. Now I don't care about keeping up, I just see the computer for what it is: a tool to help get things done. If I'm playing old games there's no need for me to be spending a thousand dollars or more every couple years just to keep up.

Anyway, at 24 I'd say you're younger than average to grow out of the adolescent geek-mania of continuously upgrading your computer for 10% more performance. Congratulations!

Ritesh

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Some people buy toys not to show off, but because they have the money and it's something they enjoy. Wouldn't it be nice to drive a sports car? You work hard for your money, wouldn't you like to enjoy something with it?

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
heh. i only upgrade when
A. something dies
or
B. i can get a significant performance boost (25% or greater at the very least)

ergo, happy with my XP1800+ until a 2ghz+ barton is on the streets. ditto the geforce2pro graphics card. not gonna upgrade till at least the geforce 5/9700 is common.

<b>Before visiting THG i was a clueless noob. Now im still clueless, but look at my nice title!<b>

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Yes, Point being - some people have the money. Most people don't.

<b><font color=red>I'm a bomb technician. If you see me running, try to keep up.</font color=red></b>

imgod2u

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
This is a nice thing to post in an ENTHUSIASTE community. What's your next move, going to an auto show and telling everyone there that they're wasting their time? Maybe you can go to a Christian prayer meeting and tell them there's no God. I mean, Jebus man, everyone has their quirks and eccentricities. Just because we chose technology over antiquing doesn't make us any less human. There are people out there who collect money. They spend $10k on a penny because it's old. Why aren't you yelling at them?

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.