Monday night D&D nostalgia

On Monday night we were drinking beers outside the pub after our gaming
session. Tragically (mmnnaarrr) it is my 40th birthday in September
and we were discussing when we first met up as a group (in about
1981-2).

Certain gaming events stick in the mind. Mainly concerned with our
less, ahem mature attitudes to role-playing then. Memorable events
(which seemed to involve the persecution of the less popular/more geeky
players) still raised a laugh - Like one particularly obnoxious person
who suffered the following "hints".

week 1 - 1st lev AD&D, find a ring of one wish - use it "I wish that an
owlbear would appear behind **** and eat him".

week 2 - "We use close the door and let **** fight the bugbears on his
own.

Week 3 (the telling week when he got the message) We leave **** to hold
off the evil fighter". The player (on 3rd cha in a as many weeks)
luckily managed to win the fight with his 1st lev hobbit thief.

When the characters met up again he explained his heroic victory. We
all looked at each other and said "That's is not possible, you must
have been charmed" so we slew him.

I know you should feel bad, but he had a motorbike helmet with "Knight
Spider" written on it.

Murf wrote:
> On Monday night we were drinking beers outside the pub after our gaming
> session. Tragically (mmnnaarrr) it is my 40th birthday in September
> and we were discussing when we first met up as a group (in about
> 1981-2).
>
> Certain gaming events stick in the mind. Mainly concerned with our
> less, ahem mature attitudes to role-playing then. Memorable events
> (which seemed to involve the persecution of the less popular/more geeky
> players) still raised a laugh - Like one particularly obnoxious person
> who suffered the following "hints".
>
> week 1 - 1st lev AD&D, find a ring of one wish - use it "I wish that an
> owlbear would appear behind **** and eat him".
>
> week 2 - "We use close the door and let **** fight the bugbears on his
> own.
>
> Week 3 (the telling week when he got the message) We leave **** to hold
> off the evil fighter". The player (on 3rd cha in a as many weeks)
> luckily managed to win the fight with his 1st lev hobbit thief.
>
> When the characters met up again he explained his heroic victory. We
> all looked at each other and said "That's is not possible, you must
> have been charmed" so we slew him.
>
> I know you should feel bad, but he had a motorbike helmet with "Knight
> Spider" written on it.

This seems like the kind of thing one does not express in public unless
you confessing for some sort of forgiveness.

Spinner

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002

>> On Monday night we were drinking beers outside the pub after our gaming
>> session. Tragically (mmnnaarrr) it is my 40th birthday in September
>> and we were discussing when we first met up as a group (in about
>> 1981-2).
>>
>> Certain gaming events stick in the mind. Mainly concerned with our
>> less, ahem mature attitudes to role-playing then. Memorable events
>> (which seemed to involve the persecution of the less popular/more geeky
>> players) still raised a laugh - Like one particularly obnoxious person
>> who suffered the following "hints".
>>
>> week 1 - 1st lev AD&D, find a ring of one wish - use it "I wish that an
>> owlbear would appear behind **** and eat him".
>>
>> week 2 - "We use close the door and let **** fight the bugbears on his
>> own.
>>
>> Week 3 (the telling week when he got the message) We leave **** to hold
>> off the evil fighter". The player (on 3rd cha in a as many weeks)
>> luckily managed to win the fight with his 1st lev hobbit thief.
>>
>> When the characters met up again he explained his heroic victory. We
>> all looked at each other and said "That's is not possible, you must
>> have been charmed" so we slew him.
>>
>> I know you should feel bad, but he had a motorbike helmet with "Knight
>> Spider" written on it.
>>

> This seems like the kind of thing one does not express in public unless
> you confessing for some sort of forgiveness.

What, the player pick-ons or the fact that you think Knight Spider is a
pretty good joke?

Spinner

Spinner wrote:
>>>On Monday night we were drinking beers outside the pub after our gaming
>>>session. Tragically (mmnnaarrr) it is my 40th birthday in September
>>>and we were discussing when we first met up as a group (in about
>>>1981-2).
>>>
>>>Certain gaming events stick in the mind. Mainly concerned with our
>>>less, ahem mature attitudes to role-playing then. Memorable events
>>>(which seemed to involve the persecution of the less popular/more geeky
>>>players) still raised a laugh - Like one particularly obnoxious person
>>>who suffered the following "hints".
>>>
>>>week 1 - 1st lev AD&D, find a ring of one wish - use it "I wish that an
>>>owlbear would appear behind **** and eat him".
>>>
>>>week 2 - "We use close the door and let **** fight the bugbears on his
>>>own.
>>>
>>>Week 3 (the telling week when he got the message) We leave **** to hold
>>>off the evil fighter". The player (on 3rd cha in a as many weeks)
>>>luckily managed to win the fight with his 1st lev hobbit thief.
>>>
>>>When the characters met up again he explained his heroic victory. We
>>>all looked at each other and said "That's is not possible, you must
>>>have been charmed" so we slew him.
>>>
>>>I know you should feel bad, but he had a motorbike helmet with "Knight
>>>Spider" written on it.
>>>

>>This seems like the kind of thing one does not express in public unless
>>you confessing for some sort of forgiveness.
>

> What, the player pick-ons or the fact that you think Knight Spider is a
> pretty good joke?
>
> Spinner

Both.