Adapter for T3 for 5v DC input

May 25, 2005 4:03:19 AM

Hi all,

I am looking for a certain type of adapter. I'd like to plug a 5v power
source into my T3. Is there an adapter that connects to the universal
connector of the T3 that will allow me to plug in a standard DC power
supply? I am not talking the type of jack on back of the T3 cardle. But,
a more standard jack like the yellow tipped plugs. Does such a beast
exist?

Let me be more specific. I bought a DigiPower DPS-9000 1800mA external
battery for my digital camera. It normally puts out 7.2v but it has an
adapter to step the voltage down to 5v. When I am not using the battery
with my camera, I wouldd like to use it to power or recharge the T3 when I
am away from any cradles.

Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steven

More about : adapter input

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 3:42:54 AM

"Steven Whatley" <swhatley_hal-pc_org@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I am looking for a certain type of adapter. I'd like to plug a 5v power
> source into my T3. Is there an adapter that connects to the universal
> connector of the T3 that will allow me to plug in a standard DC power
> supply? I am not talking the type of jack on back of the T3 cardle. But,
> a more standard jack like the yellow tipped plugs. Does such a beast
> exist?
>
> Let me be more specific. I bought a DigiPower DPS-9000 1800mA external
> battery for my digital camera. It normally puts out 7.2v but it has an
> adapter to step the voltage down to 5v. When I am not using the battery
> with my camera, I wouldd like to use it to power or recharge the T3 when I
> am away from any cradles.
>
> Any info will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Steven

You can do this via USB. I have a USB cable from boxwave which has the T3
connector on one end and USB on the other. You can use this for syncing or
just charging via a USB port. I also have an iPOD mains adapter which has a
USB output on it which also (I just found) will charge the T3 as well.

So, my suggestion is that you need something that does 5V DC to USB socket,
and then get a boxwave or similar USB<->T3 cable.

This might not be exactly the right link but try here
http://www.hackaday.com/entry/1234000270029372/

Or, if you dont want to hack things about, there are purpose built mains
adapters that will do this, maybe this sort of thing?
http://www.expansys.com.cy/product.asp?code=EXP_USB-TC-...

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 1:46:35 AM

In article <3g1j78Fa5ak5U1@individual.net> you wrote:
> "Steven Whatley" <swhatley_hal-pc_org@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I am looking for a certain type of adapter. I'd like to plug a 5v power
>> source into my T3. Is there an adapter that connects to the universal
>> connector of the T3 that will allow me to plug in a standard DC power
>> supply? I am not talking the type of jack on back of the T3 cardle. But,
>> a more standard jack like the yellow tipped plugs. Does such a beast
>> exist?
>
> So, my suggestion is that you need something that does 5V DC to USB socket,
> and then get a boxwave or similar USB<->T3 cable.

OK that's an idea. A T3 hotsync USB cable is half of the solution. I now
need a cable like the one below but just the opposite:

ACK-1420A USB power Cable 3ft
http://www.expansys.com.cy/product.asp?code=EXP_USB-TC-...

Like you said, the cable needs to have a 5v DC input socket and a USB "A"
end socket. Or I could cut the T3 hotsync USB cable and splice in the
appropriate DC input socket. But, I don't have the tools for this. I'll
see if I can find the appropriate socket and get someone to help me attach
it.

Thanks,
Steven
June 9, 2005 7:57:11 AM

>And you could buy inexpensive cell phone
>chargers for the car, travel, and replacement
I have a Zire 72 and Nokia 6230, will I do any harm if I manage to get
my Nokia charger (5.7v) connected to my Zire jack socket?
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 12:23:28 PM

Steven Whatley wrote:
> In article <3g1j78Fa5ak5U1@individual.net> you wrote:
>> "Steven Whatley" <swhatley_hal-pc_org@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I am looking for a certain type of adapter. I'd like to plug a 5v
>>> power source into my T3. Is there an adapter that connects to the
>>> universal connector of the T3 that will allow me to plug in a
>>> standard DC power supply? I am not talking the type of jack on
>>> back of the T3 cardle. But, a more standard jack like the yellow
>>> tipped plugs. Does such a beast exist?
>>
>> So, my suggestion is that you need something that does 5V DC to USB
>> socket, and then get a boxwave or similar USB<->T3 cable.
>
> OK that's an idea. A T3 hotsync USB cable is half of the solution.
> I now need a cable like the one below but just the opposite:
> ACK-1420A USB power Cable 3ft
> http://www.expansys.com.cy/product.asp?code=EXP_USB-TC-...
> Like you said, the cable needs to have a 5v DC input socket and a USB
> "A" end socket. Or I could cut the T3 hotsync USB cable and splice
> in the appropriate DC input socket. But, I don't have the tools for
> this. I'll see if I can find the appropriate socket and get someone
> to help me attach it.

Isn't it amazing how complicated things turn out be just because the
manufacturer didn't see any need or didn't find any room inside the device
or didn't want to add the costs for an additional simple standard DC input
socket?

As a poster in the german Palm-newsgroup seriously put it:
Palm devices are intended for people who are able to 'cradle' it at their
desktop at least once a day.
This might fit nicely to desktop- and PC-centered people.
I do not think that's the sole target market, though. It didn't used to be
and it won't...

Good luck finding a simple non-lacoon-ish solution for your T3.
Should be easily possible in form of a rather small UC plug - as a pro
version one might think of variable DC inputs (to support whatever DC
converter people already carry along, maybe even 12V straight from the car).
Thinking about it: A manufacturer of such a little beast will have to obtain
a UC licence from Palm, won't he. Major obstacle?

Gruß
Uwe
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 12:23:29 PM

"U. Lippke" <shorttext@gmx.net> wrote:

>Isn't it amazing how complicated things turn out be just because the
>manufacturer didn't see any need or didn't find any room inside the device
>or didn't want to add the costs for an additional simple standard DC input
>socket?

Actually the manufacturer did, for a short while anyway. The Tungsten E and Zire
72 models do sport a standard DC input socket. I thought it was great. You could
actually use your Palm while it was charging since it didn't need a cradle. It
made a very solid mechanical connection so that you didn't have to worry about
the cord falling out when moved about. And you could buy inexpensive cell phone
chargers for the car, travel, and replacement. Also they actually used a
*standard* USB cable that you could pick up at any computer store. I really
really like that word 'standard'... ;)
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 1:10:05 PM

I like the solution offered by boxwave.
A palm->USB adapter
USB plug that can go into a 12v or 110v power supply.

Not too complicated, and I can get USB adapters for other devices such
as my cell phone that would then use the same plug.

http://www.boxwave.com/products/versacharger/index.htm
http://www.boxwave.com/products/minisync/index.htm

- Chris

--
(. .)
=ooO=(_)=Ooo========================

"AJH" <ajhbox-3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>I have a Zire 72 and Nokia 6230, will I do any harm if I manage to get
>my Nokia charger (5.7v) connected to my Zire jack socket?

Probably not since I have run my Zire72 up to 6 volts where the overvoltage
protection kicks in and didn't hurt it. But if your cell phone charger doesn't
fit why bother messing with it? I got my cell phone travel charger with the
correct plug already installed, no modifications necessary, at Target for
US$9.99. (It's a 'Wireless Gear TV2108.) Depending on the cell model, there also
are Samsung, LG, Audiovox, Sanyo, Kyocera, and Qualcom chargers that fit.
!