Pick out my 75 yo mother's birthday laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

warpedone

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
She's never used a laptop and already complains that she probably wouldn't like it because of the keyboard. I've explained to her that she'll get used to it quickly or, if she wants, she can hook up a keyboard to it.

Budget is as $500-$600

I'm thinking something in the 15" range

Most of the other criteria doesn't matter. She needs it for when she snowbirds in Florida in the winter and would use it to play Bridge (that's the card game - not some new, unheard of video game) online, general internet/email usage, and some word processing.

Storage isn't very important with two desktops at home.

I've barely looked around so far but have purchased from Newegg, Tiger Direct, and Amazon in the past and have no problem with most online sites.

drew455

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
acer has an aspire quad core for $400 right now on newegg. i own the triple core model. suits my needs. the hd4250 plays 1080p movies easily and quad cores are always fast.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Dunno if you can get an Apple at that price, but given how Apple takes the choice away from tasks. That would surely simplify things (if she's like any 75 year old I know, not really wanting to handle techy stuff.)

Status
Not open for further replies.