Cooling and old Pentium 200 Mhx MMX

gaviota

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
I found an old PC that hasn't been used for a while because its hard disk was taken to substitute a damaged one in a newer PC. I installed an old 4 GB hard disk from another PC and it seems to work fine. What troubles me is that it doesn't have a cpu fan, it only has a heatsink. I think someone could have taken the cpu fan to install it in another PC. Anybody knows if a Pentium 200 Mhz MMX is supposed to have a fan?

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Well it should have a fan yes....

u can buy a cheap fan at ur local computer chop...or u can go buy the cheapest Socket A or Socket 370 cooler u can find..there overkill for that chip put it'll work and only cost u like $5

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
No it doesn't need a fan. When I got my new HP when I was 14, it had a Pentium 2 450MHz and it only had a heatsink. Hell my first pentium 120 from Acer didn't even use a fan. Why? They simply didn't produce much heat at default settings to need active cooling and the passive heatsink should be enough as long as it runs stable and doesn't lock up. The case fan should suffice by it moving the hotter air out of the case and off the heatsink.

Sooooo... my guess is no one took a fan from it. It came that way as did many systems of that time. Be happy, no fan = less noise :eek:)

"Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one"

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
No it doesn't need a fan. When I got my new HP when I was 14, it had a Slot 1 Pentium 2 450MHz and it only had a heatsink. Even my first pentium 120 from Acer didn't use a fan. Why? They simply didn't produce much heat at default settings to need active cooling and the passive heatsink should be enough as long as it runs stable and doesn't lock up. The case fan should suffice by it moving the hotter air out of the case and off the heatsink.

Sooooo... my guess is no one took a fan from it. It came that way as did many systems of that time. Be happy, no fan = less noise :eek:)

"Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one"

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
Yeap, actually yesterday was working in a Pentium 200 MMX and it had heat sink and fan

<b>(<font color=yellow>as good as it looks</font color=yellow>)</b>

Kzzrn

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
I had (it still works) a 200 MHtz Pentium MMX that just had a heatsink on it. It had no thermal issues what so ever. I also had an old HP that had a 166 MHtz Pentium MMX that just had the heatsink on it. It didn't have any fans except for the power supply fan. I also had no thermal issues with it.

Knowledge is the key to understanding

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
many mid level pentium 1's and 2's didnt have fans, but alot of them did have ducted rear casefans (a good idea for the time), which basically did the job.

<b>Before visiting THG i was a clueless noob. Now im still clueless, but look at my nice title!<b>

Dinski

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2002
Most of the brand Pentium 1 MMX machines DO NOT HAVE CPU FANS. They don't need them. But you can always put a fan for socket 370 or socket A, for instance.

<font color=orange>ÃÎËßÌ ÇÀËÚÊ ËÀÏÍÈ, ÃÎËßÌÀ ÙÀÍÃÀ ÂÄÈÃÍÈ!</font color=orange>

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
I did state that already didnt I? LoL

Anyways no they dont need fans....ive seen 166mmx systems without them.....and ive seen a 200mmx with a 1cm thick heatsink with a 40mm fan on it........dont put a lot of heat out no..but having a fan on it wouldnt be a terrible idea either....not totaly necessary though...

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>