Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Motherboard/windows 7 upgrade

Last response: in Windows 7
June 1, 2010 9:12:35 PM

Hi
i bought a prebuilt hp desktop few years ago and wanted to upgrade the motherboard and case. the computer came with an OEM vista and i understand the oem vista wont work with the new motherboard.

so my questions are:
1. if i buy the "windows 7 retail upgrade" will it work on the new motherboard?
2. what are the requirements of buying the upgrade, do i have to have vista installed before i get the upgrade or can i do a clean install.
3. how does Microsoft validate that i already have the previous version(vista 64) of the OS?
4. can the upgrade then be transferred to a new pc?

I want to purchase a new board because i eventually want to buy a 5870 and overclock my cpu

sorry for asking one million questions in a single thread. lol

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
June 1, 2010 9:33:40 PM

The upgrade version requires that you have a previous qualifying OS.
The HP OS is OEM and not transferable as you know, therefore you need to purchase a full version.
" how does Microsoft validate that i already have the previous version(vista 64) of the OS?"
The previous version needs to be installed on your system for Microsoft to validate it.
Use this link to read full details from Microsoft:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/upgrading-t...
a b $ Windows 7
June 1, 2010 10:04:47 PM

Jonmor68 answered a lot of your questions and the FAQ resource he provided is great. To answer your final question, the upgrade version cannot be transferred to a new PC as it is upgraded from an OEM version. However, if you purchase a full retail version (which you now know that you will need to install Windows 7 on a new motherboard), you will be able to transfer it to a different computer at a later date, if you choose. However, remember that Windows 7 comes with one license, meaning it can be installed on only one computer at a time.

Hope this helps,
Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach
m
l
Related resources
June 1, 2010 10:19:05 PM

If a "unforeseen event" where to befall your current motherboard all you have to do is call Ms and ask them to validate your copy of Vista over the phone.I had a problem with a psu taking out my motherboard on a oem from Gateway after the change over I just explained why I needed to change motherboards you key in a code it's pretty simple.
m
l
June 1, 2010 10:38:10 PM

erick81 said:
If a "unforeseen event" where to befall your current motherboard all you have to do is call Ms and ask them to validate your copy of Vista over the phone.I had a problem with a psu taking out my motherboard on a oem from Gateway after the change over I just explained why I needed to change motherboards you key in a code it's pretty simple.

the problem is that i dont have the vista dvd, all i have is the hp recovery discs which i assume will not work with the new motherboard.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 1, 2010 10:53:36 PM

You need to purchase the full version, you don't need the Vista DVD or the recovery disks...
m
l
June 2, 2010 2:48:25 AM

what i meant was how did erick81 reinstall vista if the oem version cant be moved to a new motherboard
m
l
June 9, 2010 5:44:19 AM

Best answer selected by knotes.
m
l
!