Hi, I am looking for a new development machine, can you give a recommendation?
Thanks in advance!
1. What is your budget?
up to 2000€
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
12"(preferred) to 15" as long at it is light
3. What screen resolution do you want?
At least 1440, preferable 1920
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
5. How much battery life do you need?
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Trackmania Nations United, Civilization ... so chipset graphics would be fine.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Machine virtualization (Hyper-V), Software development (Visual Studio)
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
500GB+, has to be fast
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
as long as it fits my needs. I got my current Laptop for 4 years, but the chipset can only manage 3GM of memory, which is far to less now.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
none, I got an external usb drive
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I prefer lenovo/ibm thinkpad, because of the good keyboard and build quality
but any other brand is ok as long as it has a very good keyboard.
13. What country do you live in?
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
need 8GB Ram minimum, 16GB should be possible, Mobile internet 3G nice to have, docking station
At 12"/12.5" you;re going to be limited to 1366x768 resolution (Thinkpad T220)
You can find some 1440x900 or 1600x900 options in 13"x14" (MacbookAir 13, Sony Vaio SA 13")
and most 14" business class machines have 1600x900 options (Thinkpad T420s)
And 1920x1080 resolution in 15" and above. (Thinkpad T520)
The Thinkpads have docking station and mobile 3G options.
Officially, they support 8GB of RAM (leaving 16GB/32GB options to the W series workstations). But they can take 16GB of RAM. Or you could order with 4GB (1 Dimm) and upgrade with 8GB for 12GB total very easily.