Severe computer problem?

My computer was working fine last night, but every time I've tried to start it today, I've been getting these problems that I've never had before.

I sign into my user, and it takes longer than usual to start up. When it's finished, I try to open Google Chrome, and nothing happens, even after 10 minutes. If I try to press it again, it seems that explorer stops responding and I can't click anything. I can still move my mouse but nothing is loading and my computer is completely silent as if it's not doing anything. Eventually I will get an error like 'This application is not responding, you can end it now or wait for it to respond', but I can't click it.

I can start it fine using Safe Mode (that's what I'm doing now) and I have also scanned in Safe Mode using AVG 2013 and MalwareBytes, however, they did not detect any issues.

Thanks so much this is a real pain, but I'm just glad I could get on with Safe Mode :cry:
9 answers Last reply
More about severe computer problem
  1. Windows 7 or 8?
  2. Windows 7, sorry should've added that
  3. Try going in to my computer and tools then check disk but it would be advisable to back up your drive as some times this is a sign that a drive is about to fail.
  4. skuds said:
    Try going in to my computer and tools then check disk but it would be advisable to back up your drive as some times this is a sign that a drive is about to fail.

Ok, thanks I'll back it up asap.
  5. If it's an OEM PC, most of them have built-in tools for hardware diagnostics.

If you built the computer, look at the drive manufacturer and download the drive diagnostics tools from them. Some manufacturer's have self-booting tools too.
    If it's a seagate (example) hard drive, you will use sea-tools. There is a diagnostics option. Check if anything fails.

It sounds like hardware, but your copy of windows might be corrupted too.
    After you rule out hardware, run windows diagnostics/repair.

I'm guessing it's a read error on your HDD... but it could be something else.
  6. mjmacka said:
    If it's an OEM PC, most of them have built-in tools for hardware diagnostics.

If you built the computer, look at the drive manufacturer and download the drive diagnostics tools from them. Some manufacturer's have self-booting tools too.
    If it's a seagate (example) hard drive, you will use sea-tools. There is a diagnostics option. Check if anything fails.

It sounds like hardware, but your copy of windows might be corrupted too.
    After you rule out hardware, run windows diagnostics/repair.

I'm guessing it's a read error on your HDD... but it could be something else.

Thanks for the feedback - I did have the computer built custom and I will do these things asap.
  7. I tried to download the drive diagnostics tool from Hitachi, but I cannot run the setup.exe in safe mode, which is the only mode I can use my computer with..

I don't think it would be the windows, everything has been fine for over a year until now, but I might be forced to reinstall windows if all else fails.
  8. I tried a system restore in safe mode to last week (the earliest), but still getting the same problem.
  9. skuds said:
    Try going in to my computer and tools then check disk but it would be advisable to back up your drive as some times this is a sign that a drive is about to fail.

On the check disk options section select both options:
    -Automatically fix file system errors
    -Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
    you will probably be prompted with the option to schedule disk check at next boot.
Ask a new question

Read More

Safe Mode Computers Windows 7