Heatsink/Fan with P4/533bus

ethlax18

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
I'm planning on buying a P4 2.26 (533mhz) soon (right after the price drop in Sept) and was wondering if the heatsink/fan combo that comes in the retail box is any good. I heard it comes with thermal tape, which I'm not too happy about. I'm going to be doing a little tinkering with the chip and want to know if I should buy a seperate heatsink/fan. Thanks.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
The retail HSF is absolutely excellent and one of the best HSFs you can get for the P4. Only a few third party exist, and for good reason, there's no need to get a better HSF unless you want to overclock over 3GHz.

You don't need thermal paste or anything. It comes with a decent thermal pad and it's cooling is quite good out of the box. The heatsink is huge but the fan is puny. However, it does spin very slowly, so you can hardly hear it.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Hey, AMD_Man, so you coming back now, since we're getting some changes? It'd be great if you did. These forums are really missing some people. (fatburger too)

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>