Artificer/Warlock? Snarfi [Campain]

I just picked up Eberon, and saw this class. I was thinking of taking
a one level dip, and revising my character. It would allow me to make
scrolls, and whatever else I take the feats for, but would be limited
to 1st lv caster, although you can do wierd things like have a scroll
of fireball with a caster level of 1 (don't know how useful a 1d6
fireball would be). What do you think?

I've already revised a bit, and went down to studded leather & traded
Con for Int.

- Justisaur

PS. tried emailing lazlo directly, but apperantly couldn't figure out
the spam filter.
11 answers Last reply
More about artificer warlock snarfi campain

    Justisaur wrote:
    > I just picked up Eberon, and saw this class. I was thinking of taking
    > a one level dip, and revising my character. It would allow me to make
    > scrolls, and whatever else I take the feats for, but would be limited
    > to 1st lv caster, although you can do wierd things like have a scroll
    > of fireball with a caster level of 1 (don't know how useful a 1d6
    > fireball would be). What do you think?
    >
    > I've already revised a bit, and went down to studded leather & traded
    > Con for Int.

    I have no objections... though I'm very wary of making magic items with
    less-than-minimum CL. Sure, there's nothing broken about a CL 1
    Fireball, but I'm pretty sure the same thing couldn't be said about, I
    dunno, a CL 1 Power Word Kill, or something.

    So please be aware that I may ban certain spells from being
    "undercrafted". I don't have much experience with this, so it'll have
    to be on a case-by-case basis. Generally, spells with effects not very
    dependent on caster level will be suspect.

    > - Justisaur
    >
    > PS. tried emailing lazlo directly, but apperantly couldn't figure out
    > the spam filter.

    Not suprising; it's not spamproofed. laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu is the
    correct address. I hardly ever check it normally; it's my "garbage"
    address.

    I've sent you an email from my real (gmail) address.

    Laszlo

    tussock wrote:
    > Justisaur wrote:
    > > I just picked up Eberon, and saw this class. I was thinking of taking
    > > a one level dip, and revising my character. It would allow me to make
    > > scrolls, and whatever else I take the feats for, but would be limited
    > > to 1st lv caster, although you can do wierd things like have a scroll
    > > of fireball with a caster level of 1 (don't know how useful a 1d6
    > > fireball would be). What do you think?
    >
    > I think low level scrolls and potions should be readily available
    > if there's any reasonable level of population nearby,

    True.

    > and I'd imagine
    > there'll be a few to be found on the cooling corpses of our enemies too.

    *gasp* You're planning on killing people and robbing them of their
    possessions? You _monster_!

    Er, I mean, also true. :)

    Laszlo

    tussock wrote:
    > Justisaur wrote:
    > > I just picked up Eberon, and saw this class. I was thinking of taking
    > > a one level dip, and revising my character. It would allow me to make
    > > scrolls, and whatever else I take the feats for, but would be limited
    > > to 1st lv caster, although you can do wierd things like have a scroll
    > > of fireball with a caster level of 1 (don't know how useful a 1d6
    > > fireball would be). What do you think?
    >
    > I think low level scrolls and potions should be readily available
    > if there's any reasonable level of population nearby, and I'd imagine
    > there'll be a few to be found on the cooling corpses of our enemies too.

    Probably true, but you don't neccessarily get to choose what's
    available to buy, and certainly not what's on corpses.

    > Besides, you'd fall behind on your eldritch blast damage, which
    > with the other invocations and the odd wand should be your main trick.
    > Plus, at 12th level Warlock you can make items anyway, if the game gets
    > that far.

    True, but I still need the feats, 1 level of artificer gets me on the
    way with scribe scroll as a bonus feat, and lets me make other things
    as well if I take the feats, instead of having to wait until 12th lv.
    8 levels is a long time, especially in a play by post game, I'd be
    supprised to get more than 2 or 3 in as many years. It also gives more
    skill points in addition to the feat, It gives me a ton of versatility,
    and usefullness to the party at the cost of a single level.

    Yes it's a big trade off, I'll be doing less damage at certain levels
    than I should, and be behind one level on getting to the all important
    Warlock 12, but it's awfully tempting...

    > > I've already revised a bit, and went down to studded leather & traded
    > > Con for Int.
    >
    > Ooh, what'd you do with the skill points?

    Well I'm actually torn, I originally wanted to put them in Decipher
    Script to get synergy bonus for scrolls with UMD, but it's a cross
    class skill so I wouldn't get it until lv 7, and I'd have another 3 in
    UMD by then, so not sure it's worth it by then. I can't actually
    imagine Decipher Script being useful just for itself, but you never
    know. The other option was Bluff/Disguise - with maybe a point of
    Handle Animal (fits for the riding dog) and maybe Diplomacy (haven't
    thoroughly checked the other characters to see if diplomacy is covered
    yet).

    If I decide to go with a level of artificer I may go back to the higher
    con since they get more skill points, I don't have the eberon book with
    me right now, so there might be some reason to stay with the int
    though.

    - Justisaur

    laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
    > Justisaur wrote:
    > > I just picked up Eberon, and saw this class. I was thinking of taking
    > > a one level dip, and revising my character. It would allow me to make
    > > scrolls, and whatever else I take the feats for, but would be limited
    > > to 1st lv caster, although you can do wierd things like have a scroll
    > > of fireball with a caster level of 1 (don't know how useful a 1d6
    > > fireball would be). What do you think?
    > >
    > > I've already revised a bit, and went down to studded leather & traded
    > > Con for Int.
    >
    > I have no objections... though I'm very wary of making magic items with
    > less-than-minimum CL. Sure, there's nothing broken about a CL 1
    > Fireball, but I'm pretty sure the same thing couldn't be said about, I
    > dunno, a CL 1 Power Word Kill, or something.

    You have to have your UMD high enough to acually make it, don't have
    the book handy but I believe it's like 20 + normal caster level, so
    probably wouldn't be able to make it too early. I'm not entirely sure
    how useful it will be either as most things I would be looking at like
    buffs & debuffs would have really low durations, and 1 round isn't
    usually worth it.

    I wonder what effect practiced spellcaster would have on this artificer
    ability too, and how if at all warlock & artificer stack... I'm going
    to have to do some serious reading.

    > So please be aware that I may ban certain spells from being
    > "undercrafted". I don't have much experience with this, so it'll have
    > to be on a case-by-case basis. Generally, spells with effects not very
    > dependent on caster level will be suspect.

    I'm not entirely sure how it works at this point, I'll get back to you
    on it. I think it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

    Justisaur wrote:
    > laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
    > > Justisaur wrote:
    > > > I just picked up Eberon, and saw this class. I was thinking of taking
    > > > a one level dip, and revising my character. It would allow me to make
    > > > scrolls, and whatever else I take the feats for, but would be limited
    > > > to 1st lv caster, although you can do wierd things like have a scroll
    > > > of fireball with a caster level of 1 (don't know how useful a 1d6
    > > > fireball would be). What do you think?
    > > >
    > > > I've already revised a bit, and went down to studded leather & traded
    > > > Con for Int.
    > >
    > > I have no objections... though I'm very wary of making magic items with
    > > less-than-minimum CL. Sure, there's nothing broken about a CL 1
    > > Fireball, but I'm pretty sure the same thing couldn't be said about, I
    > > dunno, a CL 1 Power Word Kill, or something.
    > >

    > You have to have your UMD high enough to acually make it, don't have
    > the book handy but I believe it's like 20 + normal caster level, so
    > probably wouldn't be able to make it too early. I'm not entirely sure
    > how useful it will be either as most things I would be looking at like
    > buffs & debuffs would have really low durations, and 1 round isn't
    > usually worth it.

    Ah, finally had tme to read the abilities carefully. Evidently, you
    only get to "cheat" off up to 2 caster levels. So with one level of
    Artificer, you could make a CL 1 scroll of Acid Arrow, but not a CL 1
    Fireball (you need to be at least a 3rd level Artificer for that). In
    addition, crafting the CL 1 Acid Arrow would still _cost_ the same as
    crafting the normal CL 3 version.

    That seems much more reasonable. Somewhat underpowered, even...
    consider this one-level dip carefully.

    > I wonder what effect practiced spellcaster would have on this artificer
    > ability too,

    I'd allow Practiced Spellcaster to work the way you'd expect (and like)
    it to, no problem.

    > and how if at all warlock & artificer stack... I'm going
    > to have to do some serious reading.

    I can't see them stacking in any meaningful way, but I might have
    missed something.

    > > So please be aware that I may ban certain spells from being
    > > "undercrafted". I don't have much experience with this, so it'll have
    > > to be on a case-by-case basis. Generally, spells with effects not very
    > > dependent on caster level will be suspect.

    Scratch this this bit. The "undercrafting" ability is a lot less useful
    than I (and apparently, you) thought.

    Laszlo

    Mark Blunden wrote:
    > laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
    > > Justisaur wrote:
    > >> I just picked up Eberon, and saw this class. I was thinking of
    > >> taking a one level dip, and revising my character. It would allow
    > >> me to make scrolls, and whatever else I take the feats for, but
    > >> would be limited to 1st lv caster, although you can do wierd things
    > >> like have a scroll of fireball with a caster level of 1 (don't know
    > >> how useful a 1d6 fireball would be). What do you think?
    > >>
    > >> I've already revised a bit, and went down to studded leather & traded
    > >> Con for Int.
    > >
    > > I have no objections... though I'm very wary of making magic items
    > > with less-than-minimum CL. Sure, there's nothing broken about a CL 1
    > > Fireball, but I'm pretty sure the same thing couldn't be said about, I
    > > dunno, a CL 1 Power Word Kill, or something.
    >
    > An artificer's caster level counts as two higher than his actual level for
    > crafting purposes (but items' effects are based on his actual class level).
    > So an artificer can make a scroll of Fireball at caster level 3, and it will
    > deal 3d6 damage, but he cannot make such a scroll at 2nd level, because his
    > effective caster level is 4th.

    Right, thanks. Just figured this out myself. :)

    > I don't have Complete Divine at the moment - how would Practised Spellcaster
    > interact with this build for keeping the artificer's caster level up?

    I'd say it'll interact as expected. An Artificer 1/Warlock 3 with PS
    for the Artificer will have an actual crafting level of 4, and will be
    able to make CL 6 items. An Artificer 1/Warlock 10 will have an actual
    crafting level of 5, and will be able to make CL 7 items.

    Laszlo

    "Justisaur" <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > I wonder what effect practiced spellcaster would have on this artificer
    > ability too, and how if at all warlock & artificer stack... I'm going
    > to have to do some serious reading.

    Practiced Spellcaster can help with your Eldritch Blast as well. Check it
    out.

    --
    ^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishment the scroll,
    I am the Master of my fate:
    I am the Captain of my soul.

    Justisaur wrote:
    > I just picked up Eberon, and saw this class. I was thinking of taking
    > a one level dip, and revising my character. It would allow me to make
    > scrolls, and whatever else I take the feats for, but would be limited
    > to 1st lv caster, although you can do wierd things like have a scroll
    > of fireball with a caster level of 1 (don't know how useful a 1d6
    > fireball would be). What do you think?

    I think low level scrolls and potions should be readily available
    if there's any reasonable level of population nearby, and I'd imagine
    there'll be a few to be found on the cooling corpses of our enemies too.

    Besides, you'd fall behind on your eldritch blast damage, which
    with the other invocations and the odd wand should be your main trick.
    Plus, at 12th level Warlock you can make items anyway, if the game gets
    that far.

    > I've already revised a bit, and went down to studded leather & traded
    > Con for Int.

    Ooh, what'd you do with the skill points?

    --
    tussock

    Aspie at work, sorry in advance.

    In article <1121361779.172338.247100@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    Justisaur <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:
    >Well I'm actually torn, I originally wanted to put them in Decipher
    >Script to get synergy bonus for scrolls with UMD, but it's a cross
    >class skill so I wouldn't get it until lv 7, and I'd have another 3 in
    >UMD by then, so not sure it's worth it by then. I can't actually
    >imagine Decipher Script being useful just for itself, but you never
    >know. The other option was Bluff/Disguise - with maybe a point of
    >Handle Animal (fits for the riding dog) and maybe Diplomacy (haven't
    >thoroughly checked the other characters to see if diplomacy is covered
    >yet).

    My Paladin has Diplomacy, but no other Cha-based skills.

    laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
    > tussock wrote:
    >
    >>and I'd imagine there'll be a few to be found on the cooling corpses
    >>of our enemies too.
    >
    > *gasp* You're planning on killing people and robbing them of their
    > possessions? You _monster_!

    LOL. I'm lost for words. 8]

    > Er, I mean, also true. :)

    Yes. Good. Quite right. Carry on.