No more HSF, real AC for cpu, it's a good thing

shallowbaby

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2002
So i read today about HP using their inkject technology in order to cool semiconductors such as microprocessors. i thought of course! how brilliant! and naturally it came from HP. the article talked about how they can use the same tech as inkjet printers to percisely control where to place liquid coolant that will vaporize on impact. that solves alot of problems with the liquid cooling methods popular today. using a old technology for something new.. that's a good thing.

<font color=green> there's more to life than increasing its speed -Ghandi</font color=green>

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
so are you saying they are going to put a water hose on the cpu?

<b><font color=orange>sing to prolong HDD life; spin right round like a record baby Right round round round

Cowgoesmoo

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2002
Sounds to me like another cable for my computer have power cables running under my carpet, a phone line along the roof, network cable through the walls and now I need a hose into the bathroom.

If it doesn't work like that then what happens when the liquid in the thing runs out?

Mind you I havn't read the article he is talking about so dont take me seriously.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'm kind of with the same mentality as you though. To me it just sounds like another thing to worry about breaking...

Honestly, a heat sink with a fan built directly on it works fine for me. :) And if I ever need it, a watercooling solution would work as well.

Inkjet though ... that just sounds like another item that'll break down when you least expect it.

<A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/comic/171.htm" target="_new">The corpse you find may be your own.</A> - Black Mage

shallowbaby

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2002
ok, finally found it, the article i was talking about is <A HREF="http://www.e-insite.net/semiconductor/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA237624&spacedesc=news" target="_new"> here. </A>

why couldn't you just replace the coolant like you replace your printer ink when it runs out?

<font color=green> there's more to life than increasing its speed -Ghandi</font color=green>

jamus34

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
WHat happens when the jets get clogged and spray too thickly on electrical components :O

Buh-bye PC.

Your using WHAT??? (quote from friend when I told him my PC specs)

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
It never runs out. It recycles the "steam". It's a sealed system, its not like you're gonna see a lil gun shootin your CPU w/ fluid......Also, I don't think they're applying this to Home, SOHO users.....more high end. But the technology may trickle down one day.

This sig runs too hot.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, if we already have HEAT PIPES that do the same think passively, why mess with a good thing by adding mechnical parts?

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
Limits of cooling........I assume you can get lower temps w/ liquid than air, or passive heatpipes. And from my understanding, heatpipes in passive applications arent very effective.
I see the Jet tech as right there w/ other advanced/extreme cooling solutions. Water cooled systems have moving parts and corrosion to worry about. As for mechanical parts, a heatsinks fan is a failable moving part.
A lotta early negative judgements on technology that hasnt been tried yet. Nothing wrong w/ being a skeptic I guess. But give it a chance, eh?

This sig runs too hot.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Heat pipe technology is used at nuclear power plants to recover coolant water, I'm sure it works effectively.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
Describe heatpipes usage on a processor w/ water cooling. Or explain what you mean by passive heatpipes. I think Im thinking about something else.......Im thinking about the way heatpipes are used currently....like in laptops, or some HSink units.

This sig runs too hot.

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
nothing really new, cray has already this type of cooling. you can download the video <A HREF="http://www.cray.com/company/video/" target="_new">here</A>. it's in a few different formats and sizes, but they all run the same lenght.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A heatpipe relies on a gas compressed to a liquid state so it evaporates at a certain teperature, say, 37C. When the processor reaches this temp, the liquid evaporates into the upper condensor, which is a radiator. It cools there, condenses, and the condensation runs back down into the heat block on the CPU. It cycles like that. If designed properly and of adequate size/cooling, the CPU will remain at that temperature regardless of load.

shallowbaby

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2002
nothing really new, cray has already this type of cooling. you can download the video here. it's in a few different formats and sizes, but they all run the same lenght.
hmm, cray actually uses a refrigerator to cool the system though..

"KryoTech uses vapor-phase refrigeration, the same technique used in the refrigerator, (with an environmentally-sound Freon substitute for a coolant) to chill operations of a processor down to -40 degrees. This point is, according to KryoTech, the "practical lower limit" at which the refrigerative method functions efficiently. (The KryoTech cooling system in and of itself draws as much extra electricity as the average light bulb, depending on the power consumption of the processor.) This allows for overclocking of the microprocessor by 35% or more. One of KryoTech's two standard products, the Cool K6-2, runs on an AMD K6-2 processor at 450 MHz, 35% faster than the chip used was certified to run (333 MHz). This is not especially useful for the personal computing aficionado, as there are currently boxes on the market running the same chip at a lower price than that at which KryoTech intended to sell the Cool K6-2 ($2600). In addition, KryoTech has not officially certified the Cool K6-2 for production yet, citing "intermittent stability problems" in a public memo. The same delay applies to the model built around a DEC Alpha chip at 767 MHz. Once these issues are cleared up, it may benefit KryoTech to ship faster systems than are currently available - 500 MHz or higher should be reachable. KryoTech claims a new, more flexible system to be coming sometime this quarter; however, due to problems with older boxes, these improved computers may not see the light of day for some time now.
"
<A HREF="http://www.tekpress.com/Archives/1998/Nov/kryotech.html" target="_new">click here for the entire article </A>

cray is a nice supercomputer nonetheless.

<font color=green> there's more to life than increasing its speed -Ghandi</font color=green><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by shallowbaby on 08/16/02 10:14 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
got it. Sounds like a good alternative to active cooling. Can those systems fit into a regular PC case? That would be ideal to run a quieter system......

This sig runs too hot.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can make them perform better by adding a fan to the condensor, that's how Shuttle's mini-PC's are cooled. For smaller mid towers, the condensor would go where the power supply normally resides, but systems can be designed around the condensor as well. For instance, simply turning the power supply sideways usually creates enough space to mount the condensor next to it and only raises the minimum height of the case by about 1.5 inches.

shallowbaby

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2002
i didn't like people posting so many articles before, but hey, mark that one to my newbism.

ran across a article on <A HREF="http://www.tech-pc.co.uk/ihcl71-1.php" target="_new">Fuliyama Silent Heat Pipe</A>, if you're interested.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That's not a true heatpipe, the "heatpipe" inside does nothing because the "condensor" area get's too much heat from the "evaporator" area, being that they are connected.

<A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/02q3/020710/images/heatpipe.jpg" target="_new">HERE's a REAL heatpipe</A>, but more traditional units don't even have fins on the evaporator.

shallowbaby

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2002
thx for the info, i was wondering why there's a fan up in that joint. heh.