My new system restart automatically...

xcom_cheetah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
i have just upgraded my PII to Duron 1.1 with Gigabyte GA-7DX+ MB.. and the first problem i have encountered is that my system restart automatically.... i shut down it and after sometime when i come it is running...

i looked around the bios and couldn't find anything..

help please.?

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
err... i'm sorry. well did you also change the psu?

another thing that could cuase this is too much fluctuation in the AC (Alternating Current) from the wall outlet.

<b><font color=orange>sing to prolong HDD life; spin right round like a record baby Right round round round<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scamtron on 08/16/02 02:16 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Apart from your apartment being haunted by a PC-literate ghost, can you tell us what O/S you are using, and your ACPI settings?

:eek: Wingding - The Forum's Official Bottom Feeder :eek:

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
It is most likely ur PSU.......
BUT not limited too.....

Therefore set ur RAM Timings to the absolute worst settings (Highest numbers possible) and than see if the thing still crashes/auto restarts etc...

also get Motherboard Monitor 5......usefull tool..it'll tell u what ur voltages r....what ur temperatures are...the whole ordeal...........

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

Cowgoesmoo

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2002
I remember that my k6-2 300 use to do that. It doesn't now though and I cant remember doing anything to stop it.... Mum use to get really angry about wasted power when it was on all night with no one on it. (well she complained if there was someone on it all night as well but that was different). Growing pains?
Maybe something in the bios that isn't set quite right not sure what it could be if anyhting but I remember that the problems were before I took an active interest and started playing with things.

Just remembered that about the time the problem stopped I removed a second CD rom. Guess that supports the PSU suggestions above.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by cowgoesmoo on 08/16/02 10:14 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Smokey

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2002
I had a similar problem. PSU. Regardless of the total wattage your PSU lists, no-name PSU's can't maintain the correct voltages to your components (In my case it was heavy 12V usage do to multiple HD's). MBM5 can keep a history of your voltages for you so that you can see what was going on right as your PC restarted, pinpointing the problem. If you're really hardcore, you could sodder a spare power line directly into the board to support voltages (12V or 5V, but 5V would require a resister), but...easier to just buy one.

<font color=purple>Pentiums are for wusses who are afraid of instability</font color=purple>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
i shut down it and after sometime when i come it is running...
Wait. You shut it down/turn it off. Then you come back later and it has mysteriously turned itself <b>on</b> again?

If I have this wrong, please correct me.

If that's the case though, it doesn't sound like a power supply problem to me. It sounds like a 'wake on ring' or 'wake on lan' that is acting stupid. That or just a bad mobo.

Or a ghost. Boo! ;) Just kidding.

<A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/comic/171.htm" target="_new">The corpse you find may be your own.</A> - Black Mage

Bardic

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001
Yeah, if it is turning itself on for no reason the Wake on Lan, Wake on Modem, maybe if hitting keyboard keys turns it on the KB is sending false signals.

Also check the bios for "Pwr on after Pwr Fail" and see if it is set to "on" "off" or "previous state"

shallowbaby

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2002
wow, that's pretty serious! it automagically (heh) turns itself on. you sure you don't have it in hibernate?

another real possibility is that your roommate is secretly planning to drive you crazy. gotta look out for that too.

<font color=green> there's more to life than increasing its speed -Ghandi</font color=green>

Smokey

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2002
This sounds like the intro to a really bad (my favorite kind) horror movie! The computer doesn't happen to have a red eye light and ask to play chess with you does it?

Maybe it's time to take your belt off and show that hunk of tin who's it's Daddy.

<font color=purple><i>Smokey McPot - Your Baby's Daddy</i></font color=purple>

peter21

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Check to see if you are really turning off your computer when shutting down. Go to the control panel click on power options then click the advanced tab then make sure it is set to shut down not hibernate. Also check in your bios settings and disable wake on lan and any other wake on features.

The only thing i know...

is that i know nothing.