How Much Would This 'Piece' Be Worth?

BigBiggist

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
I just have one question. I am trying to save as much money as possible on my new system. I do have an another older system from a few years ago. I just wanted to know how much it would be worth. I think it's worth about 50 bucks. It is very old. When you boot it down it tells you that it is safe to turn off your computer. Well, here are the specs of it if any of you can remember anything about them.

Modified Gateway G6-200

Processor - Intel Pentium Pro 200 Mhz Processor
Motherboard - Unknown Intel Pentium Pro Mobo 4 PCI 4 ISA 4 Memory Slots
Memory - 2x 32 MB RAM DIMMS, Some gateway brand
Floppy - Generic Floppy Drive
CD-ROM - Matshita CD-ROM CR-506 8x I think
Hard Drive - 2 GB Seagate HD ST32155W
SCSI - Adaptec AHA - 294OU/AHA-294OUW PCI SCSI Controller
Sound - OPTi Plug-N-Play Sound System
Video - Matrox MGA Millenium Probably 2-4 MB

Well there are the specs of this beast of a computer. It was interesting looking at the inside. The only fan was on the power supply. This was back when CPU's didn't need fans. If anyone has any idea of how much i could get for this or if there are any companies that would take it I would really like to know. It's just going to sit around and no-one is going to use it.

Thanks for your help.

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
*thinks for a minute*

Just for the heck of it, I might be willing to buy the floppy and Seagate (Ata 66?) HDD if you could tear them out...for say, $15 and shipping (I pay shipping). If you throw in a ps/2 keyboard and mouse, i'll raise it to $22 or so. If you didn't guess, I collect extra parts for the hell of it, and my room is soon to be filled with 2-3 full Athlon XP systems (soon to be Prescotts/Hammers) *wide grin*

True dumbass:
aha!! it has some kind of cuts, hehehe"
have you ever seen smoke from a seagate?

BigBiggist

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
Hmmmm......50 bucks for the SCSI, 22 for the HD, Floppy, Mouse and Keyboard...72 bucks, I like it already. Maybe I should try to auction it at e-bay. No, nm, with my luck it would probably get auctioned for 5 bucks. Oh, i almost forgot, it also comes with an old 17 or 19 inch Toshiba Monitor. Thats probably worth around 50 bucks by itself.

If anyone wants the whole system for 150-200 bucks its theirs. This would include the monitor, PS2 keyboard and Mouse, I have an old logitech marble trackman or just the basic mouse. If I could sell this for around that price, I could afford a RAMBUS mobo and RAMBUS RAM for my comp, yay.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
$150USD I'm thinking isn't gonna be enough for a mobo and RAM...

But yeah, I think you should be able to get that for all that easy. If you have a *buy, sell and trade* advertisement thing in your area, you should advertise it. Some unsuspecting consumer would probably easily shell out 150 for that.

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
To be honest, if I saw a PC like that at a garage sale, I'd only offer $25. The absolute <i>most</i> that I personally would pay for the whole kit is still only $50. It's pretty ancient.

But hey, if you find sucke... I mean <i>customers</i> who want to pay more for it, then take them for all you can. That's how sales seems to work these days, so why fight it?

<A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/comic/171.htm" target="_new">The corpse you find may be your own.</A> - Black Mage

BigBiggist

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
Yeah I know how ancient it is. Someone may pay that much though. What about gateway, would they want to buy it and sell it refurbished or whatever? I should set up an add in the paper. I could try 125 bucks, maybe 150. As for the affording RAMBUS and a mobo. I have 1600 in the bank but I only want to spend around 1400 to keep some extra money. If I can get more money, I could upgrade from an SiS 648 mobo with Corsair PC3200C2 to a Gigabyte 8IHXP with Kingston Ram. I am overclocking. I would get better performance from Oc'd RDRAM than from ddr ram.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
We know our stuff, but I'm sure most people don't, so if this suites their needs, then I'm sure they'd offer a lot more than say you or I would.

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>

BigBiggist

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
Hehehe, I will set up an add in the paper today. I will get back to all you guys on how much I sell it for. Anybody have any ideas of any encouraging words to use in order to sell this? It could probably run the old Red Storm Rising and Chuck Yeager Flight Simulator Games. It may even run the original Dark Forces. You could also play DOOM and maybe DOOM II along with some Wolfenstein 3D, maybe even Hexen or Heretic. Fun Stuff, huh. I have some old games on floppy, I could bundle them with the computer and they would be able to game on their new system. I also have tons of old games on CD-ROM that I want to get rid of. I got games like the original Rainbow Six, Absolute Zero, Star Trek TNG: A Final Unity, Earth Siege, Mechwarrior 2, Big Game Hunter, WarCraft, Original C&C and this stupid Quarky and Quaysoo's Turbo Science from Sierra. These sweet games could up the value of the system. Oh well, i just hope I can get some money for it.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Tossing in a bunch of old games might help indeed. I've been able to run games as modern as Quake II and Half Life on a Pentium 133, so I'm sure that your old Gateway could handle Doom II. ;)

Good luck selling it though. Chuck232 is right. While PC techs like us wouldn't pay much for it (mostly because we have bigger needs) I'm sure that somewhere out there is someone with less need for power than us who would be glad to pay $100 to $200 for it easily.

I'd market it as 'internet ready' and 'loaded with games' or some such nonsense. And definately make sure to mention that it's a Gateway. I know plenty of people who aren't even smart enough to understand that Gateway, Dell, etc. are all selling the same parts, they just <i>assemble</i> those parts into a functional PC themselves. So a name like Gateway would be something that even a clueless person would recognize.

<A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/comic/171.htm" target="_new">The corpse you find may be your own.</A> - Black Mage

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
How much for a pentium 120 on a biostar piece-o-junk with 48 mb edo ram, 4x cdrom, 1.6gb hd, s3 trio 64+ gfx. crap sound card?
Free to good home...

eden

Champion
With the money you have in the bank, I'd say you are set for 1400$ only and can get a damn good system. AthlonXPs are excellent if you want to save a truck load of money and put it on the video card. If you really need to pay for Rambus stuff, then I'd suggest a 2.26GHZ P4, which you can safely overclock to 2.6GHZ and a bit above.
However don't expect with your hard earned money, to be sent over at a 2.53GHZ one.

I also suggest you wait until September, Intel will do major price cuts, and their 2.26GHZ will have an outstanding price, which will up the value of your current money.

Whether you choose AMD or Intel, you should keep in mind: If you don't overclock, AMD. If you overclock, Intel.*

* © 2002 Matisaro™ Corp. :wink:

--
Is the opportunity to earn money by working, free?

BigBiggist

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
I am getting a good system for 1400. I lucked out because I don't have to pay for a case or PSU. I am being given a Kingwin KT-436 w/ 3 windows 5 fans and an enermax 430 Watt Whisper. I also already have an NEC Multisync 17 Inch Monitor thats a few years old, and I was given a klipsch 4.1 THX system which is broken, but hopefully will be repaired.

I was planning to go with a 2.4 or 2.53 setup(Oc'd to 3 Ghz)when intel drops prices to $193 bucks for the 2.4 or $240 for the 2.53 w/ an Asus SiS 648 Mobo, Corsair XMS memory, Radeon 9700 Pro, WD SE 100 GB HD, audigy and all that stuff. But now that the XP 2600+ is being released I may look at that. I might be able to overclock the FSB to 166, hopefully the newer processors will support that. With Corsair DDR 333 or 400 I believe that that system could stand up to a pentium system. If not the intel system with rambus would be great too. I just recieved the case and power supply so I will order the rest of the components when Intel drops prices and the Radeon is released. Hopefully all will go well with the setup. Maybe I could get 20,000 3dMarks, at least until the 3dMark 2002 comes out. The only reason I am also waiting is because newegg seems to be slacking when it comes to dropping prices. Hopefully they will come around.

Thanks again everyone ;)

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
How much for a pentium 120 on a biostar piece-o-junk with 48 mb edo ram, 4x cdrom, 1.6gb hd, s3 trio 64+ gfx. crap sound card?
Nothing. In fact I think you should pay me for having to read that twice.

This sig runs too hot.

eden

Champion
I don't recall the 2.53GHZ becoming this low in price, I do know however the 1.8A will be the 1.6A's price, and the 2.26GHZ becomes around 193$. With that you can grab a good RDRAM system and overclock. The thing will likely give you with the Radeon 9700 Pro, a good 16000 points, because the OCed bus is higher than 133MHZ QDR, so you're getting a nice boost. Should you consider upping the RDRAM's speed over PC1066 as well, you'll get even more points.
Just be sure to find a reliable place to buy for less, but also get good service.
For the AMD system, if AMD does come out with 166MHZ FSB DDR for the XP2600, they might compete the 2.53GHZ, for the same price or less, and since generally AMD setup systems DO cost less, you might save a bit, but it all depends on the outcome of these new Tbred batches. Maybe they will turn out good overclockers, so who knows.

--

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Well, the 2.53B's are suuposed to be $243USD after the price cuts.

Also, IIRC, the XP2400+ and XP2600+ will <b>not</b> have a 166MHz FSB. The Barton may.

eden

Champion
I was basing my claim of the new FSB from recent pushing rumors.
However I still recommend he goes for the 2.26GHZ, simply because it will cost much less, WILL overclock as much as the 2.53GHZ can reach, or maybe better. Saving money and getting more it is what the entire goal of OC Price/performance is about, no?

--

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Yes, I mean I'll be getting either the 2.26B or the 2.4B, considering they're the same price. (as they're supposedly gonna be)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I resell computers, and I could only get $120 for it. And that's after adding a new modem.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

BigBiggist

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
120 bucks is better than nothing, but there has to be some guy out there who would pay 200 or more for the computer. He will be all excited about his new computer and I will be excited because I got more money.