Inspiron DVD/CD Burner

I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 and right now, it has a removable DVD/CD drive.
I'd like to replace this drive with a comparable DVD/CD burner +/- RW that
would just plug into the same location as the original drive. Dell has one
that sells for $206.96 but I don't know who the manufacturer is or what the
model no. is. Would anyone have any recommendations?

--
Thanks,
Tony

    Tony P. wrote:
    > I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 and right now, it has a removable DVD/CD
    > drive. I'd like to replace this drive with a comparable DVD/CD burner
    > +/- RW that would just plug into the same location as the original
    > drive. Dell has one that sells for $206.96 but I don't know who the
    > manufacturer is or what the model no. is. Would anyone have any
    > recommendations?

    That is a competetive price for a replacement, but better dual-layer
    burners are available in the slimline format. www.newegg.com as well as
    others, list the NEC 3500 slimline drive for about $190. This is a very
    highly rated drive (LightOn, Pioneer, also). An alternative is the same
    5.25 inch desktop drive for about $90, and a USB2/Firewire enclosure for
    less than $50.

    I think you may be referring to the NEC ND-6500. I don't believe the 3500[A]
    is available in a slimline format.

    Thanks,
    Tony

    "Tony P." <noone@cork.adelphia.net> wrote in message
    >I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 and right now, it has a removable DVD/CD drive.
    >I'd like to replace this drive with a comparable DVD/CD burner +/- RW that
    >would just plug into the same location as the original drive. Dell has one
    >that sells for $206.96 but I don't know who the manufacturer is or what the
    >model no. is. Would anyone have any recommendations?
    >
    > --
    > Thanks,
    > Tony
    > For replies, please correct my email address.

    here in ROB (Rip off Britain) the 8x DVD Burner drive for my M60 which I
    believe would be the same one for the 8600...... is £310 ($558) can you get
    me one for $208...............

    toy

    If your burner cost $558 how much did your M60 cost? For that cost, you can
    fly over here buy a new PC & take a vacation & you'll still come out ahead
    :-).

    Tony P. wrote:
    > I think you may be referring to the NEC ND-6500. I don't believe the
    > 3500[A] is available in a slimline format.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Tony
    >

    >> That is a competetive price for a replacement, but better dual-layer
    >> burners are available in the slimline format. www.newegg.com as well
    >> as others, list the NEC 3500 slimline drive for about $190. This is
    >> a very highly rated drive (LightOn, Pioneer, also). An alternative
    >> is the same 5.25 inch desktop drive for about $90, and a
    >> USB2/Firewire enclosure
    >> for less than $50.

    Entirely correct. I have the 3500A full size drive and have been
    waiting for the 6500A to reach the merchandisers.

Dell DVD Burner CD-Rom Computers