Windows me problem

alphalbk

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2003
My friend saw me type in msconfig on my system to tweak it, I run windows 98.He runs winMe and touched somthing he shouldnt have now after booting only the wall paper shows up no icons, start button, etc. After pressing control+alt+delete it shows some file trying to run but it wont, its a dell he only has a cd for it no floppy help us please. P.S. can I install 98 without making it worse he wants to keep the goodies on the hard drive not lose them.

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
I have no answer in your question. But i just want to say that Windows ME really suck.

<i>
"I'll Take A Quiet Life
-Handshake to Carbon Monoxide- Th.Yo."
</i>

G

I think, since the original post was in march, the problem is probably already taken care of. Who keeps digging up these old posts? :mad:

Your arrogance is boring!

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
geez!!!!!!

Looks like jmecor dug it up.

The loving are the daring!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flinx on 08/10/03 10:11 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Boilermaker

Distinguished
May 6, 2003
[rant]
he's dug up a few in this forum, is he trying to boost his post count or taking <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=33893#33893" target="_new">this thread</A> seriously?

and whats up with multiple short posts one after the other?
[/rant]

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If it's 98 Second Edition, I'd go that rout. You'll have to delete a key file from his system, I think it's win.com (maybe it was win.ini, you could always delete both), in order to overwrite ME.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>