A question about keys

phoenix777

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
I was gonna buy a Windows 7 upgrade disk oday but they only had 64 bit. But I already have the 32 bit disk, I only need a key. So I'm just wondering if the 64 bit upgrade disk key will work with my 32 bit disk.

thanks

isamuelson

Distinguished
I take it since you only have the 32-bit version, it's an OEM version so it even worse, if you try it on a different computer, it would state that your hardware has changed and invalidate the key for that machine.

This is why I no longer buy OEM. Too many hassles when you do major upgrades and the licenses are not transferable between computers. With the retail versions, the key is transferable to a different machine. Of course, it means it won't work on the previous machine anymore unless you transfer the license back to that machine and invalidate it on the other machine.

Doesn't the upgrade come with both 32 and 64 disks?

And yes, the keys are interchangeable between 32 and 64 bit versions on vista and 7, but not XP.

I think you can use an upgrade key with the full version too. You just have to be upgrading. Im not sure there is any difference between the disks like there was with XP and earlier.

This is true only for the original OEM key. She can use the disk.