Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

A question about keys

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
Share
June 2, 2010 12:04:37 AM

I was gonna buy a Windows 7 upgrade disk oday but they only had 64 bit. But I already have the 32 bit disk, I only need a key. So I'm just wondering if the 64 bit upgrade disk key will work with my 32 bit disk.


thanks

More about : question keys

a b $ Windows 7
June 2, 2010 12:36:18 AM

No a 64 bit key will not work with 32 bit windows or the other way around.
m
0
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
June 2, 2010 12:42:10 AM

Yes it should work. Keys are not bit version specific. I am curious as to why you have a 32 bit disk, but no key though?
m
0
l
Related resources
June 2, 2010 12:44:48 AM

The_Prophecy said:
Yes it should work. Keys are not bit version specific. I am curious as to why you have a 32 bit disk, but no key though?


I used that disk on another computer
m
0
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
June 2, 2010 4:25:09 AM

The keys are transferrable between 32- and 64-bit versions, but not between upgrade and full versions. An upgrade key can only be used if you're replacing a previous version.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 2, 2010 12:04:47 PM

I take it since you only have the 32-bit version, it's an OEM version so it even worse, if you try it on a different computer, it would state that your hardware has changed and invalidate the key for that machine.

This is why I no longer buy OEM. Too many hassles when you do major upgrades and the licenses are not transferable between computers. With the retail versions, the key is transferable to a different machine. Of course, it means it won't work on the previous machine anymore unless you transfer the license back to that machine and invalidate it on the other machine.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 2, 2010 7:29:00 PM

phoenix777 said:
I was gonna buy a Windows 7 upgrade disk oday but they only had 64 bit. But I already have the 32 bit disk, I only need a key. So I'm just wondering if the 64 bit upgrade disk key will work with my 32 bit disk.


thanks


Doesn't the upgrade come with both 32 and 64 disks?

And yes, the keys are interchangeable between 32 and 64 bit versions on vista and 7, but not XP.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 2, 2010 7:31:24 PM

sminlal said:
The keys are transferrable between 32- and 64-bit versions, but not between upgrade and full versions. An upgrade key can only be used if you're replacing a previous version.


I think you can use an upgrade key with the full version too. You just have to be upgrading. Im not sure there is any difference between the disks like there was with XP and earlier.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 2, 2010 7:33:02 PM

isamuelson said:
I take it since you only have the 32-bit version, it's an OEM version so it even worse, if you try it on a different computer, it would state that your hardware has changed and invalidate the key for that machine.

This is why I no longer buy OEM. Too many hassles when you do major upgrades and the licenses are not transferable between computers. With the retail versions, the key is transferable to a different machine. Of course, it means it won't work on the previous machine anymore unless you transfer the license back to that machine and invalidate it on the other machine.


This is true only for the original OEM key. She can use the disk.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 2, 2010 11:42:19 PM

I admit that I was wrong, the key is usable on both 32 and 64 bit computers, I don’t know what I was thinking of when I said that they weren’t.
m
0
l
a c 401 $ Windows 7
June 2, 2010 11:59:38 PM

yes they will both work!
m
0
l
June 3, 2010 2:35:27 AM

FALC0N said:
This is true only for the original OEM key. She can use the disk.


lol where did you get the idea that i'm a "she" :lol: 

and thanks everyone!
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 3, 2010 5:30:45 AM

Didn't you know that Falcons have very good eyesite and can see from afar.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 3, 2010 7:15:01 AM

phoenix777 said:
lol where did you get the idea that i'm a "she" :lol: 

and thanks everyone!


I said it, so it must be true! You are now officially a girl. :whistle: 
m
0
l
!