Only 2.5 Go RAM

MickaelL

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Hi everyone,

I am confronted to a disturbing problem.
I just formatted my MSI Gx60 notebook in order to install a Windows 7 professionnal 32 Bits version (to work use).

I've already installed 32bits versions on 4Go+ Ram but today i'm upset : My computer recognizes 8Go installed but also says that only 2.47go can be used.

What is the problem ? How can i figure it out and fix it ?

Thank you for your help.

Mickael

Solution
32 bit OS can only address 4GB max.

Your system will reserve up to about 1.5GB for on board devices (in your case, most likely the on board graphics accounts for most of the 1.5Gb you are "missing").

So you need upgrade to a 64 bit OS to see all your 8GB of Ram in windows.

Cheers
32 bit OS can only address 4GB max.

Your system will reserve up to about 1.5GB for on board devices (in your case, most likely the on board graphics accounts for most of the 1.5Gb you are "missing").

So you need upgrade to a 64 bit OS to see all your 8GB of Ram in windows.

Cheers

Solution

MickaelL

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Ok thank you. I am reassured, and understand better now.

no problem for the 64bits version. I used it everyday for personnal use on the same computer :D
It's just that i need a 32 bits version for work too.

thanks a lot for the speed !

I've already installed 32bits versions

That is your problem !! 32 bit operating systems can only use 4GB TOTAL of RAM -- this includes the RAM set aside for your System (usually 512MB or .5GB) the amount set aside for the video subsystem or video page files (usually 256 - 512MB per display\video card installed) and any reserved for sharing with the video card chipset if using onboard video and not a dedicated video card ( another 512MB to 1GB. depending on the chipset)

From your description you are using the onboard video chipset with 512MB reserved and the other 1GB is being used by the system reserve and video page files leaving you approx 2.5GB remaining thus the system is showing things correctly -- Installing any more than 4GB in a 32 bit operating system is just wasting any above that since the memory is mapped into a 32 bit storage space meaning only 32 bits of addresses can be used (32 bits = 4,294,967,296 locations or 4096MBs (4GBs) worth of addressable memory)

The only way to address more would be to switch to a 64 bit OS which stores the memory mapping in a 64 bit space. HERE is a good article that explains things in more detail if you want to read up on it !