Voltage on 4 pin and 3 pin connectors

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Alright, well, this is probably a dumb question, but here goes. I'm assuming first off, since there are four wires on a 4 pin molex connector, the red is the hot wire (positive), the two black are neutral/ground, and the yellow is negative. Same thing for 3 pin connectors but less 1 black wire. Does anyone here remember how many volts the 4 pin molex and the 3 pin connectors run? I bought a back of LEDs and resistors, and I don't feel like burning them out, so I need to know the voltage. I'll just use the resistors to pull down the current until it will not burn out my LEDs. This is just something going with my simple case mods.

True dumbass:
aha!! it has some kind of cuts, hehehe"
have you ever seen smoke from a seagate?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nope, Yellow is +12v, red is +5v, black is ground. The three pin connectors usually have a red +12v, yellow or blue RPM, and black ground.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
So the 3 pin are the same deal, 12 volts on the red line, and yellow is 5 volts? All the black are ground, right, and that is my negative for the LEDs? Also, do you know what the current is in the 4 pin molex and 3 pin connectors? I'm considering using some lower voltage LEDs (I have more than my 5 volt blue ones) with some pull down resistors to put on either the 12 volt line or the 5 volt line.

True dumbass:
aha!! it has some kind of cuts, hehehe"
have you ever seen smoke from a seagate?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, on the FOUR pin, the YELLOW is +12v and the red is +5v, on a three-pin fan wire the red is 12v. Fans are collor coded differently than power supplies. Look at it this way,

ALL the yellow wires on your power supply are 12v.
ALL the red wires on your power supply are 5v.
The fan is 12v but uses a red wire instead of yellow.

There is a reason for that.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>