chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Hey, I was just wondering, does anyone know the RPM for the stock HSFs Intel packages with their P4s? Also, is it possible/worth it to put a larger/faster fan in place of the *dinky* one there (or so I hear).

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>

shallowbaby

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2002
hrmm, i believe the stock fan is 4800rpm, but i could be wrong. my speedfan is showing 4300 atm. my stock heatsink was meant for one 60x60x15mm fan on it, but i fitted two of them on using 2 screws for each. that easily reduced my cpu temp from 45C to 35C.

<font color=green> there's more to life than increasing its speed -Ghandi</font color=green>

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
??? :eek:

Are you sure we're talking about the same thing???

Ok, P4 stock fan... I really don't think it's 48000RPM or 4300RPM for that matter. With a 60mm fan, that would create a pretty shrill sound. People say that the fan is one of the quietest around?

So you were able to place another fan on top of the stock one? Could you actually replace the original fan though?

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
2,679 Rpm at the moment here, P4 2.0@2.4 39C

<font color=red>Got a silent setup, now I can hear myself thinking.... great silence</font color=red>

eden

Champion
I think Asus' mobos can also control the speed, so noise may vary, and it might be why this guy here has a high RPM.

--
Is the opportunity to earn money by working, free?

BigBiggist

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
Hmmmmmm, Maximum PC says that the P4 uses the AVC Sunflower Fan. This site says it runs at 5000 RPM, here is the link.

<A HREF="http://www.coolerxtreme.com/avcsuncoolfo.html" target="_new">http://www.coolerxtreme.com/avcsuncoolfo.html</A>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Yes, some Pentium 4 do come with the AVC Sunflower but I'm not sure which. The Sunflower probably cools better but the Intel HSF is probably quieter.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

shallowbaby

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2002
you are right. it's 2500rpm. it's people do say its the quietest around and very effective for non-overclockers.<A HREF="http://www.pcabusers.com/reviews/v8639l/p2.html" target="_new">
here</A> are some old benchmarks i dig up.

<font color=green> there's more to life than increasing its speed -Ghandi</font color=green>

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
So does it come with the Sunflower?? I thought it was a quieter fan... And no one's answered this yet, can I replace the fan? (and only the fan, not the HS)

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
You sure about that? The reason I ask is cause I've heard that the Intel stock fan is somewhat like Dell stuff, once you have it, you'll never be able to upgrade it...

Well, if I can, that'd be great, but what size fan could I use? Can any P4 user please mesure for me so I know what size of a fan to get. And also, what kind of fan could I use? I've heard that people use Sunon case fans with some heatsinks. (like some Swiftech ones IIRC) I'd like to get a fan that'd be <i>better</i> than the stock one, not one that's worse... :tongue: