Sign in with
Your question

Hammer, the star player for AMD...

Last response: in CPUs
August 17, 2002 7:21:21 PM

AMD vs intel. compare it to a baseball game, it`s the top of the seventh inning, AMD`s offence, and AMD is down by 9 points. batters athlon, duron, t-bird loaded the bases. athlonXP struck out. and now up at bat is hammer.

AMD fans are screaming "grand slam!" intel`s starter northwood did a good job, but the intel manager is worried, and the closer prescott is warming up.

AMD is doing 100%, but cannot outperform intel. and since intel is more powerful then ever, we might not be able to see AMD in a few years. i heard a story about intel`s technology being the best in the world with IBM. once AMD is out, intel will be the troll of the CPU market.

i see that trident is coming back, ATI releasing 9000 and 9700, and matrox doing a good job. one year ago i thought nVIDIA cleared the GPU market, but i was wrong.

i wonder what will happen with CPUs.

"Is Celeron good?"
"No. Celeron is bad."
LOL

More about : hammer star player amd

August 17, 2002 7:52:05 PM

Well, nVidia was never in a position like Intel, IIRC. Intel's power if just way over AMD's potential even. With 10X the equity and even more than that in assets, it's gonna take AMD more than just 1 grand slam to catch up...

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>
August 17, 2002 10:51:26 PM

It could be very useful

X87-64 bit will die
IA64 will move to desktop (by normal evolution)

FTC will force intel lo lincence IA-64 to others corporation and we will all have 3 GHZ Itanium (ops tejas) for playing quake 5.

Soon after AMD (maybe via or any others) will come and compete with intel.

Add this to the book of imposible theory

The day i meet a goth queen that tell me Intel suck.I turn in a lemming to fill is need in hardware.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by juin on 08/17/02 06:52 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
Related resources
August 17, 2002 11:40:08 PM

x86 will not die, not until microsoft start supporting the IA-64 instruction set.

BTW x87 does not exist it is x86-64 you are talking of because we had 286,386,486,586,686,787(where we currently are) and i believe the prescott and hammer are 886. The x86 architecture is very well founded, it wont die.

I believe AMD need to do more, but it is difficult for a company of that size. It is like a horror movie, everyone know what will happen but no one will admit it. I do like AMD but I have to admit AMD are dieing a painfully slow death, like a life support machine you can prolong the life but does not make it better.....
August 18, 2002 5:29:35 PM

Windows XP 64-bit for Itanium came out the same day Windows XP did. The only reason you don't see it on shelves is because no consumers have an Itanium. If they did, you'd be using Windows XP 64-bit.

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.
August 18, 2002 6:15:05 PM

Juin your so called predictions are so off-beat.
You have absolutly no proof x86-64 will die. You even add x87 which IIRC is for FPU talk.

I don't even beleive you wrote this, this is too well gramatically put for your english writing...

--
Is the opportunity to earn money by working, free?
August 18, 2002 7:42:53 PM

I thought the windows xp 64bit was not released yet, I thought it was for the x86-64 architecture
August 18, 2002 7:47:23 PM

No. Otherwise Nvidia wouldn't have a driver section for WinXP 64-bit already!

--
August 18, 2002 10:14:19 PM

Eden, you missed one line in his post:

Quote:
Add this to the book of imposible theory

See?

Greetz,
Bikeman

<i>Then again, that's just my opinion</i>
August 18, 2002 11:19:19 PM

Micro$oft has said they'd support x86-64 and are <b>working</b> on a version of Windows for it. They've had Windows XP 64-bit (which, if you read the release that came with it is for IA-64) since XP went on shelves.

As for the dying of x86-64. Depends on how bold AMD is. x86 will live on for years to come and therefore, so will any extension of it but if Intel manages to keep its market share, they will move to IA-64. At that point, AMD could either try to fight the storm or produce an IA-64 compatible CPU. I for one would like to see x86 die. It's an old and decrepid ISA and has lived a lot longer than it should've. x86-64, for all its ups and downs, still has the same drawbacks as x86. Variable instruction length making it hard to decode and far too many instructions to be useful.

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by imgod2u on 08/18/02 04:23 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
August 19, 2002 5:21:21 AM

err, dun want to sound like a dumbass, but what does iirc stand for?

My frog asked me for a straw...dunno what happened his ass all over the place :eek: 
August 19, 2002 6:21:39 AM

lol
this thread is loopy from start to end :smile:

im more interested in when AMD can get their butt into gear and send a 2000+mhz 166fsb barton my way!

<b>MegaHertz Matters! ... But you need a chipset with BALLS to back it up!!! :cool: </b>
August 19, 2002 12:00:28 PM

You're a vetern here and you don't know!!! :eek: 

IIRC=If I recall/remember correctly :smile:

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>
August 19, 2002 6:48:03 PM

I thought the prescott would use x86-64 because IA-64 was to compete directly with Sun microsystems.

Is the x86 different to the IA-64 like the Risc processors are, they use different assembly code?

I dont like the fact we may all be on Intel's terms if we use IA-64, the thing that is good about x86 code set is that it has had a long development cycle and is not owned by anyone. IA-64 is owned by intel, which I don't like.
August 19, 2002 9:15:26 PM

x86 was developed and owned by Intel. AMD still has to liscense from them to this date. Don't even get me started on the countless court debates. Luckily, AMD has won most of them and has kept an x86 liscense up till now. You should hear AMD's former CEO Jerry Sanders talk about these court trials, if you love war stories.....
As for IA-64, yes, it's a completely different ISA. It incorporates many of the impressive features that have shown itself in both the high end and low-end computing world. It is RISC-like in nature, but also uses a VLIW style instruction handling. It follows the concept of RISC and takes it even beyond that, by not only taking out instruction complexity from the ISA, but also making optimizations and scheduling the job of the compiler, not the CPU. The CPU's job will be to take in instructions and do work on them. It will not be doing much speculation on what instructions should go in first, second, etc. The compiler will do that and tell the CPU what the best way to run the code is. This has significant advantages as the developers can just spend a few more hours compiling code and it'll be distributed and run at near its peak performance out-of-the-box.

August 19, 2002 9:16:35 PM

I get what you mean. An ISA is a completly different story than an extension set like SSE. AMD helping the future of x86 computing is a good thing generally, and I would not like Intel to push Prescott for another instruction architecture, especially considering most big companies like Nvidia and VIA have already started developping x86-64 databases, as well as IBM and many doing compilers. For Intel to do another set, especially when Nvidia is currently a big AMD friend, and ATi not so far, would mean that these companies might retaliate by not providing the OEM market with integrated graphics. Then all Dell systems would use the i845G. Of course I am theorizing, but my point is that Intel pushing IA64 on Prescott may not have a high chance as x86-64 has now to succeed. Even x86-64 does not have high chances, around 60% of being adopted and implemented, so IA 64 would be even less.

--
August 19, 2002 9:30:18 PM

Well, Prescott and Teja are both still x86 CPU's. Teja is rumored to have IA-64 support meaning it can recognize IA-64 code. How this will be accomplished is anyone's guess. However, my educated (arguably) guess woule be that by the time Teja is out (2004-2005), Intel would be ready to produce CPU's using the BBUL packaging technology, which IIRC, would be perfect for a dual core or semi-dual core design. One core for the x86 component, the other for the IA-64 component. That, I'm guessing will be the "transition" stage from x86 to IA-64.
As far as switching ISA's, it's about time. I mean, Intel's not expecting it to happen until 2005-2006, but x86 is far to old and decrepid to keep around any longer than that anyway. Hammer is, relatively, a short-term design. I'll last maybe another year or so but AMD will have to get something else out by then anyway. Why not IA-64? They're already liscensing x86 from Intel.

August 19, 2002 9:38:31 PM

Very short: I think x86-64 is only a transient state, since it combines both 32- and 64-bit insturctions. In the end, the 32-bit ones will get outdated and not used any wore, so then the road is open for IA-64 (or maybe an equivalent from AMD, who knows) to gain market share. But I guess this will take some years (my guess: 5 years before x86-64 dies a silent death, or something thelike). But doesn't all of this make you wonder why other 64-bit architectures are not yet incorporated into desktops or workstations (I think Sparc and IBM have 64-bit platforms, too ...), or gained significant market share? To me, it looks as if there is going to be nothing else but AMD or Intel, but who knows, there still are other players in the field ...

Greetz,
Bikeman
PS: Why can't I EVER make a 'very short' post? :frown:

August 19, 2002 9:48:23 PM

I think both Intel and AMD are to stuburn right now to licence something from the other. No way that Intel will adopt x86-64 (if needed, they would rather clone it, I think) or AMD to licence IA-64. It is going to get a mess, I'm afraid ...

Greetz,
Bikeman
PS: Does this count as a short post? :wink:

August 19, 2002 10:07:39 PM

snoobie post

wow! with so much technical terms flying around, i think that some of you have eng degrees! :) 
August 19, 2002 10:17:34 PM

Quote:
i think that some of you have eng degrees!

_DESPERATELY_ trying to get one ... First exam of second try of second year in two days and a half ... *shivver*

Bikeman

August 19, 2002 11:19:46 PM

lol, who needs to have an ee degree when you can sound like you already do.

<font color=green> there's more to life than increasing its speed -Ghandi</font color=green>
!