p3 700 current +12V

andlcs

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2002
Does anyone know what's the maximum current of p3 700mhz?
My psu only supports 5.5A (+12V) and my hd+cdrw+8x8fan consumption is 2.5A! I have only 3A to the processor!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, list the entire specs for your power supply. Oh, the 700 does 933MHz fairly easily.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
LoL @ u Crashman....

he's already worried about power consumption of the CPU and u tell him to OC it..LoL...j/k with u BTW....

not to sure how much current the P3 700 draws......but i know it doesnt draw 3A JUST off the 5.5volt Rail for the CPU.....3A is A LOT at 5.5volts for just ONE component........u ARE safe.....trust me...ALSO...switch ur FSB setting in the BIOS or via jumpers/dipswitches from 100 to 133MHz.......u get a free 233MHz......thank Crashman for suggesting it....not me....u WILL notice a difference =) good thing BTW

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I thought I'd point it out right away, because if he DOES need a better power supply, he might as well get one "good enough" for the overclock!

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Understandable.......I still have not heard of an x86 processor that sucks 3 AMPERS!! from the 5.5volt Rail.....if it sucked up 3A from anywhere id say it's comign out of the +12volt rail.......well...the majority of it anyways!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Hes not talking about the 5.5v rail, hes talking about his 12v rail only being able to supply 5.5 amps!!

I didnt realise p3 drew from +12v, i thought it was only the p4 that did that, if im correct p3 and athlon both draw from 3.3v ( I think ). Crash am I right?

If all else fails, Go further :)

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
According to <A HREF="http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm" target="_new">Erols.com's Processor Electrical Specifications</A> the P3 700 draws a maximum of 29.4 watts of power. (If I'm reading the chart notes correctly that's using max core amperage, 14 Amp, at max core voltage, 2.1 Volts. 14 Amp X 2.1 Volts = 29.4 Watts). Converting for the different power rails, that would be 2.45 Amp from the 12 volt rail, 5.88 Amp from the 5 volt rail, or 8.9 amp from the 3.3 volt rail. Don't know from which rail your processor draws power.

Overclocking would increase power consumption.

[Edit]
Note that everything is at maximum but within spec. There is not enough information to determine power consumption at nominal voltage, 1.65 volt, but power certainly would be lower.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 08/18/02 01:22 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think only the 3.3v rail, as it would require fewer parts to reduce to 1.50-1.75v.