Iseekknowledge

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2001
I need help I am learnnig networking so I have become the A+ guy at work. Here is my problem some of which is out of my abilities for now. We have a server running nt 4.0 back office small buisness server that is about to run out of space. The window in which to do the work on the server is 2-3 hrs max.The data has to stay there, so I cann't just delete old files.
My proposed solution is to replace the hard drive with a bigger one.My question to you is can I make a boot up disk and how?
The reason for this is I want to use nortons' ghost, but for that I need a disk with the proper files to boot to dos since ghost runs in dos to do the imaging.I want to clone the small drive into the bigger one. I have to use ghost because I do not have any other utilities for imaging. I also need to fornat the new drive to ntfs 4.
Please can any one help !!!!!!!!!!
thank you in advance

The more I learn to less I ......

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
go to bootdisk.com, download a 98 boot disk, and put the ghost files on the disk, they will fit. if your planning on storing the image on another network server thats another story.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.

Iseekknowledge

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2001
I thought dos for nt4.0 was different!!!!!!!!!!
What you are saying is that:
1. install ghost
2. using a 98 boot up disk create a goost boot disk
3. using this disk go ahead and clone drive
is this all correct and that simple?

thank you in advance once again!!!!!!!!!!!!

the more I learn the less I...........

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I thought dos for nt4.0 was different!!!!!!!!!!
Doesn't matter. When you're ghosting the drive it doesn't care what file system is on it.

1. install ghost
2. using a 98 boot up disk create a goost boot disk
3. using this disk go ahead and clone drive
is this all correct and that simple?
You got it.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
make a bootdisk, copy ghost.exe to it, boot from disk, run ghost, thats it. The version of dos that NT4 has is totally irrelevant as you will be booting from a floppy

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

Latest posts