Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Palm changing back to Palm, Inc.

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 8:46:26 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I saw in the newspaper yesterday that Palm is going back to Palm, Inc.
This is effective June 25. Palm, Inc. will now hold all rights to the
Palm line. Just thought everyone might be interested.
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 4:37:37 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I agree. I havea four-year old m125, and it still works fine. Mind you,
I wouldn't mind a color screen and internal battery, but I bought it
new for $130, so it's hard to complain.
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 5:34:01 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article <1117107986.802978.134310@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"jflash" <ki4hrg@gmail.com> writes:
> I saw in the newspaper yesterday that Palm is going back to Palm, Inc.
> This is effective June 25. Palm, Inc. will now hold all rights to the
> Palm line. Just thought everyone might be interested.

When are these jerks going to make their minds up?
--
SAm.
Related resources
May 26, 2005 10:49:09 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

This may be true but PalmSource was the owner of the Palm OS. They
couldn't find only two hardware companies to purchase and use the Palm
OS. One was PalmOne of course, the other was Sony. Now that Sony has
ceased the Clie line everywhere except Japan, PalmSource (or whatever
they will be known as) is going to start developing other OSs for PDA
and phones such as Linux. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Treo 650
running on Microsoft OS or Linux as well as Palm. If you search the
web, you can see some retailers beginning to dump Palm software. I
have seen offers of up to 75% off. This doesn't mean that it's
the end of Palm, but don't be surprised if Palm, Inc. offers its own
hardware (Treo, etc) with OSs other thatn Palm in the future. Palm,
Inc. has indicated that they have no paln to move away from the Palm
platform but they haven't ruled it out either.

Just a thought.
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 2:32:26 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Sam Nelson wrote:
> In article <1117107986.802978.134310@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> "jflash" <ki4hrg@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>I saw in the newspaper yesterday that Palm is going back to Palm, Inc.
>>This is effective June 25. Palm, Inc. will now hold all rights to the
>>Palm line. Just thought everyone might be interested.

> When are these jerks going to make their minds up?

They split into PalmSource and PalmOne a few years ago. At the time,
they thought it was a good idea. It probably made Sony happier, since
Sony didn't like selling things that had to have the name of their
competitor on the product they were selling (Clie vs. Palm). However,
I've always thought it was a fairly dumb idea to split, but that's just
me.

Anyway, now PalmSource is kinda doing badly, and all the licensees
are gone except PalmOne. So, I think PalmOne wants to own the name
Palm so that if PalmSource gets in really really bad shape, it won't
tarnish the name. The name "Palm" is still the most valuable trademark
that exists.

Plus, they paid PalmSource $30 million for their half (actually 55%)
of the ownership of the name. My guess is they did this because they
want a way of justifying giving PalmSource money, since they need
PalmSource to at least limp along, since they are dependent on
PalmSource for the OS.

So, while splitting the company was a bad idea, this isn't all that
dumb a plan now that licensees are out of the picture and PalmOne is
the healthier of the two companies.

- Logan
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 2:32:27 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Logan Shaw wrote:
> Sam Nelson wrote:
>
>> In article <1117107986.802978.134310@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>> "jflash" <ki4hrg@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I saw in the newspaper yesterday that Palm is going back to Palm, Inc.
>>> This is effective June 25. Palm, Inc. will now hold all rights to the
>>> Palm line. Just thought everyone might be interested.
>
>
>> When are these jerks going to make their minds up?
>
>
> They split into PalmSource and PalmOne a few years ago. At the time,
> they thought it was a good idea. It probably made Sony happier, since
> Sony didn't like selling things that had to have the name of their
> competitor on the product they were selling (Clie vs. Palm). However,
> I've always thought it was a fairly dumb idea to split, but that's just
> me.
>
> Anyway, now PalmSource is kinda doing badly, and all the licensees
> are gone except PalmOne. So, I think PalmOne wants to own the name
> Palm so that if PalmSource gets in really really bad shape, it won't
> tarnish the name. The name "Palm" is still the most valuable trademark
> that exists.
>
> Plus, they paid PalmSource $30 million for their half (actually 55%)
> of the ownership of the name. My guess is they did this because they
> want a way of justifying giving PalmSource money, since they need
> PalmSource to at least limp along, since they are dependent on
> PalmSource for the OS.
>
> So, while splitting the company was a bad idea, this isn't all that
> dumb a plan now that licensees are out of the picture and PalmOne is
> the healthier of the two companies.
>
> - Logan
Interesting. I've never known that. Thanks!
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 10:13:57 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

> This may be true but PalmSource was the owner of the Palm OS. They
> couldn't find only two hardware companies to purchase and use the Palm
> OS. One was PalmOne of course, the other was Sony. Now that Sony has
> ceased the Clie line everywhere except Japan, PalmSource (or whatever
> they will be known as) is going to start developing other OSs for PDA
> and phones such as Linux. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Treo 650
> running on Microsoft OS or Linux as well as Palm. If you search the
> web, you can see some retailers beginning to dump Palm software. I
> have seen offers of up to 75% off. This doesn't mean that it's
> the end of Palm, but don't be surprised if Palm, Inc. offers its own
> hardware (Treo, etc) with OSs other thatn Palm in the future. Palm,
> Inc. has indicated that they have no paln to move away from the Palm
> platform but they haven't ruled it out either.

Umm.. and yes this is a personal attack, but are you just an idiot to begin
with? You don't have your facts straight, by any means, and you just come
across as a fool to anyone who knows have the truth..
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 3:41:04 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

JC wrote:

> This may be true but PalmSource was the owner of the Palm OS. They
> couldn't find only two hardware companies to purchase and use the Palm
> OS. One was PalmOne of course, the other was Sony.

With Garmin and Tapwave that makes 4. Want to try for more?

> Now that Sony has
> ceased the Clie line everywhere except Japan,

They've discontinued it there, too.

> PalmSource (or whatever
> they will be known as) is going to start developing other OSs for PDA
> and phones such as Linux.

Which would be a dumb move since it would give them just another Linux
distribution.

> I wouldn't be surprised to see a Treo 650
> running on Microsoft OS or Linux as well as Palm.

I would. Maybe PalmOne will bring out such a device in the future when
there is a decent Microsoft OS or Linux variant for smartphones, but the
Treo 650 is likely to be long since obsolete before such an OS exists (and
don't tell me about Wince. Its name says it all).

> If you search the
> web, you can see some retailers beginning to dump Palm software. I
> have seen offers of up to 75% off.

I see offers for up to 75% off on Windows software, so I guess that
retailers are beginning to dump Windows software too.

> This doesn't mean that it's
> the end of Palm, but don't be surprised if Palm, Inc. offers its own
> hardware (Treo, etc) with OSs other thatn Palm in the future. Palm,
> Inc. has indicated that they have no paln to move away from the Palm
> platform but they haven't ruled it out either.
>
> Just a thought.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 7:13:32 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Thu 26 May 2005 04:32:26p, Logan Shaw, wrote:

> So, while splitting the company was a bad idea, this isn't all that
> dumb a plan now that licensees are out of the picture and PalmOne is
> the healthier of the two companies.

Yeah, but why didn't they just merge back together?

--
RonB
"There's a story there...somewhere"
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 7:16:10 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Thu 26 May 2005 07:49:09p, JC, wrote:

> I wouldn't be surprised to see a Treo 650
> running on Microsoft OS or Linux as well as Palm.

If so, I hope the choice for the Palm OS *does* remain.

--
RonB
"There's a story there...somewhere"
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 12:04:51 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

JC wrote:

> I don't know about Tapware, but it appears that Garmin is moving to the
> Windows Mobile platform. See here:
>
> http://garmin.com/products/iQueM5/minisite/flash_conten...

Are they _moving_ or just supporting both? Note that the M5 is considerably
more expensive than their Palm-based devices.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
June 3, 2005 12:38:48 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Good question? Some reviewers see the move to Windows Mobile as
Garmin's challege to Mitac Mio 168 which has enjoyed strong success in
the US for the loyal Pocket PC user that also wants GPS. I guess we
will have to wait and see.

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/garmin_iQue_M5.htm
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 10:33:21 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

RonB a écrit, le 31/05/2005 05:13 :

>>So, while splitting the company was a bad idea, this isn't all that
>>dumb a plan now that licensees are out of the picture and PalmOne is
>>the healthier of the two companies.
>
> Yeah, but why didn't they just merge back together?

Because the reasons for spliting are still valid: Palmsource has 15
licensees, including palmOne. A lot of those licensees are more or less
on the same markets than palmOne, so having palmOne once again reunited
with Palmsource and selling Palm OS to concurrents would be an awkward
situation. And finding new licensees would become really difficult.

--

Internet, newsgroups, e-mail => Netiquette
http://usenet-fr.news.eu.org/fr.usenet.reponses/usenet/...
news:fr.bienvenue news:fr.bienvenue.questions
news:news.announce.newusers news:fr.usenet.reponses
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 10:33:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Wed 08 Jun 2005 10:33:21a, Patrick Vuichard, wrote:

> RonB a écrit, le 31/05/2005 05:13 :
>
>>>So, while splitting the company was a bad idea, this isn't all that
>>>dumb a plan now that licensees are out of the picture and PalmOne is
>>>the healthier of the two companies.
>>
>> Yeah, but why didn't they just merge back together?
>
> Because the reasons for spliting are still valid: Palmsource has 15
> licensees, including palmOne. A lot of those licensees are more or less
> on the same markets than palmOne, so having palmOne once again reunited
> with Palmsource and selling Palm OS to concurrents would be an awkward
> situation. And finding new licensees would become really difficult.

Sounds reasonable. Thanks for the explanation. I didn't realize
Palmsource still had fifteen licensees.

--
RonB
"There's a story there...somewhere"
!