Sign in with
Your question

Noise level on retail AMD XP 1800+

Last response: in CPUs
August 18, 2002 2:55:05 PM

I'm on the upgrade path, and am looking for a bit of advice. A retail AMD XP 1800+ is only about $10 more than an OEM version, and comes with a HSF. My question is what is the noise level on the retail fan? Since this is going to be in my bedroom I am looking to build a quiet PC.

PS: Yes watercooling is quiet, but it is out of my price range right now, as are any HSF more expensive than $20.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.
August 18, 2002 3:17:37 PM

Well....the Retail version is great..not a loud fan at all..BUT dont expect impecable cooling....its decent enough and keep sit within the 'norms' but it shall not be used for overclocking...my recomendation seeing how u have $20 to play with...buy the OEM version and also grab a ThermalTake Volcano 7 HSF...... =)

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>
August 18, 2002 4:31:45 PM

Although I may be overclocking, I will not be doing it any time soon. Right now the room temp in the bedroom can exceed 31 deg C. I've got a good, big case with room for 14 fans, although I won't be using 14 fans right away (see noise level above). I was looking at the volcano 7 as well.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.
Related resources
August 18, 2002 4:36:38 PM

I have a Volcano 7 on my AXP 1600+ at 1.660GHz......runs at 36-37 celcious......real nice cooler... =)

retial is good for being quiet......and just adequit enough to keep it cool.....and run without stability issues...i still recomend a better HSF than the retial......especially if u will OC =)

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>
August 19, 2002 2:51:53 AM

if noise is a problem, bigass Heatsink + slow fan is allways a good combo :) 

<b>MegaHertz Matters! ... But you need a chipset with BALLS to back it up!!! :cool: </b>
August 20, 2002 6:57:52 AM

is the volcano 7 actually quiet? I had a volcano 6cu+ or some such and the think sounded like a hurricane.
August 20, 2002 11:10:20 AM

yes.
the 6cu+ had a noisy ass fan on it... much worse than the 6cu.
the 7 and 7+ and 9 have larger 80mm fans on them, and are speed/temp controlled.

<b>MegaHertz Matters! ... But not without Cache our a decent chipset!!! :cool: </b>
August 20, 2002 12:26:29 PM

Quote:
7+

It had a 70m fan... :tongue:

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>
August 20, 2002 8:06:45 PM

The 7 and 7+ are definently quiter than the 6cu+...i still have my old 6cu+.........it was TERRIBLE......the whinny sound the fan makes hurts ur ears...especially when the computer was located in my bedroom....lol.....the 7 is definently quiter though....

August 20, 2002 8:32:16 PM

I have the 1700+ with the retail fan. It's very quiet, and does an adequate job of cooling. Although I wouldn't want to try to OC or run it in a really hot environment.

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks."
August 20, 2002 8:41:51 PM

Quote:
I've got a good, big case with room for 14 fans, although I won't be using 14 fans right away (see noise level above).

<font color=blue>Is that a plane taking off?!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>No, it's just my computer!</font color=red>

He he he he he he he he he. :) 

Seriously though, with that many fan bays you could get a lot of low RPM fans to have a solid air flow that isn't noisy.

<pre><A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/comic/186.htm" target="_new"><font color=red>It's all relative...</font color=red></A></pre><p>
August 20, 2002 8:47:14 PM

OMG! It's knowan! Haven't seen u in a long time! How r things?

My frog asked me for a straw...dunno what happened his ass all over the place :eek: 
August 20, 2002 11:32:43 PM

i get confused with all the types...

lets seen if i can get it right:
6 - long & narrow, usual design, all aluminium, normal fan
6cu same as above with copper core
6cu+ same as above but with noisy fast fan
7 standard fin hsf with 80mm fan (hs slopes outwards) fan is temp controlled?
7+ skived copper beauty with 3 speed fan?
9 same as 7 but orange coloured. and a few extra bits.

<b>MegaHertz Matters! ... But not without Cache our a decent chipset!!! :cool: </b>
August 22, 2002 7:14:28 AM

The retail athlon fan is goddamn huge, as the cpu needs alot of cooling to prevent it from burning. I would say its quite loud compared to the average pentium system. However, with a proper amount of case fans an athlon system doubles as an efficiant heater for your room.

Trust me, despite my name one of my pc's happens to be an athlon, and it makes the room it's in goddamn BOILING hot.

<i>My life wasn't complete untill I tried sse-2 optimized pong</i>
August 22, 2002 8:03:32 PM

As much as I hate to admit it, my XP1600+ does that as well. And since you're in Montreal, and I'm in Hull, we both have similar weather temps. And my room does feel like a boiler one!
It's due to the cheap airflow my case has inside, and probably the tech guys didn't use any good installation methods when putting the CPU in. Probably used a cheap thermal pad.

--
And now, an advice from your friendly Nike shoes slogan: JUST DO HER!
!