Can a virus infect a secondary HDD?

Tags:
  • Security
  • Virus
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
June 2, 2010 2:47:47 AM

If I have 2 HDD's, one with OS and programs (such as SSD) and another with just files, pictures, videos etc. Can a virus on either one of the drives infect the other or are they limited to the drive they are on?

More about : virus infect secondary hdd

a b $ Windows 7
June 2, 2010 6:14:53 AM

Yes a virus can infect other drives.
m
l
June 2, 2010 9:02:46 AM

Sure they can infect your MP3 player and mobile phone, and one specifically targets iPhones. I remember back in the early - mid 90's there was a series of reports of a virus that caused your monitor to blow, so it all depends on the virus.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
June 2, 2010 11:18:13 AM

They're especially dangerous when they infect removable media like flash drives.
And they travel across networks (and possibly across wireless networks) to infect shared resources.
Boot into Safe Mode and run a virus scan from there. Safe Mode should keep a virus from loading up and going active.
Best to also have a '2nd opinion' run a scan. The worst kind of infections (rootkits) can hide themselves from an AV scan and even alter how an AV program works in a malicious way.
Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.46 and run that from Safe Mode.
Most of the major security players have a free online scan utility too.
m
l
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
June 3, 2010 6:21:22 AM

WR2 said:

Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.46 and run that from Safe Mode.

[#0005ff]In case Rootkits are in the frame here, may I add Kaspersky's TDSSKiller to that suggestion?[/#000ff]
m
l